“Overrated and expensive”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #269 of 930 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I, along with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law shared our anniversary dinner here together because we heard so many good things about it. The food is average. The experience is unique and different. The price is overpriced. We did the full course...appetizer cheese, meal that we cooked ourselves that lacked seasoning, and dessert. I will if we did go back, we would only order the appetizer or dessert. They were very good. The meal was nothing extraordinary, I could've cooked at home better and when I go out to eat, I especially for what we paid, I expect the food to be something that I can cook easily. For the price we paid, we could've went to Rioz Brazilian Grill in Myrtle Beach, SC and got all you can eat top quality meats, salad bar, sushi, fresh cheeses, pasta salads, etc that is well worth the price.

1  Thank BQsc
There are newer reviews for The Melting Pot

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I ate here for our anniversary. We try to go once a year or so and, as usual, our meal was amazing. You really can't get better food. We have tasted most everything there, and it is all fantastic. The atmosphere feels private and secluded, which is a nice change in a restaurant. To us, it feels like being on vacation when we eat there. Our waiter was very nice and friendly. We stuffed ourselves past full, but we wouldn't have it any other way. I can count on one hand the restaurants where i have had comparable deliciousness. it is pretty expensive, but its worth it for special occasions. We love The Melting Pot.

2  Thank Elizabeth W
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I went there recently for my wifes birthday. We haven't been on a 'date' in more than a year since we moved to Greenville. I moved here for work and since we are new we haven't found or looked for a babysitter for our daughter. We flew my sister into town so we can get a day away and maybe have a day mostly to ourselves. Before going to Asheville, we decided to take my sister out to dinner.

We made reservations and were seated a little early. The server blasted through the menu and was very unclear on how the ordering steps were made. We had been to The Melting Pot in Cleveland, Ohio area a number of times and enjoyed our trips (regardless of being overpriced).

My daughter is nearly two years old, and a well behaved child. We are also very conscientious about her tone and attitude. Not only for her well being and learning, but also for fellow patrons. After our appetizer of subpar cheese, bread, apples and veggies the manager came to our table saying he had complaints of our daughter. I was taken a back...surprised...speechless. If my daughter made one squeal of excitement I would have been shocked.

I proceeded to offer my wife and sister the chance to continue their meal so I picked up my daughter and took her into the lobby to sit and wait for them to finish. She sat quietly in my lap watching a movie on the Netflix app on my phone. I told the greater to share with our waiter to cancel my pork order- I would not be eating. Another manager came out saying really loud "FORKS, someone wants a FORK!" I calmly shared with him to cancel my order.

A few minutes later my wife and sister walked out. My wife felt sick to her stomach that we were treated this way. Treated like a lesser qualified citizen because we had a child. She lost her appetite. We didn't eat the remainder of the night. No one was hungry anymore. We were in other words "not accepted" "take your kid somewhere else" "you with kids drink from another water fountain"!

I've waited a few days before writing based on my belief that I shouldn't allow emotions to dictate my writing style. Not to make it personal. Be practical and think of yourself as the business owner. After a weekend of thinking....I can't believe I was treated in such a way. I'm 38 years old, I have traveled the world, eaten at 1000's of places, and I have spent from $2-$200 for dinner.

For the first time in my life I feel sick about the way I've been treated at a restaurant. I will be sharing this story as much as possible. How can my daughter be welcomed and 'over appreciated' at a high end restaurant like High Cotton and then our family treated in such a way at a chain restaurant of all places?!

4  Thank Donnertal
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is one of our favorite places to eat for special occasions. We typically go 3-4 times a year. This visit was not good. We evidently had a waiter in training. We waited extremely long periods between courses and even had to remind the waiter. We had 5 people and he brought enough food for maybe 3 for each course when we paid for 5. We had a good time as always but I won't tolerate another repeat like this.

1  Thank Thepole007
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Our last visit was for my husband's birthday. They have remodeled and it looks wonderful. We had the four course meal with the seafood trio and it was delicious. We finished with the peanut butter and chocolate dessert fondue. The portions we just right - we were satisfied but not overful. We recommend it highly.