“Best Dinner of Week Long Visit”

Sassafras Southern Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Sassafras Southern Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 927 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Florida
“Best Dinner of Week Long Visit”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Located set back from Main Street behind Mast General Store which made it a little difficult to find to start but well worth the search. Older brick building which has been completely renovated with sparkling brass, a beautiful bar, and extremely nice seating and decor. Service was superb from start to finish and food was beyond outstanding. Sassafras has now become my favorite restaurant in greenville . I also visited High Cotton, Soby's, Rick Irwins and a few others on this visit. All very very good but this was the most enjoyable overall.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank c0de7777

Greenville, South Carolina
“Southern style…..”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stopped into the Sassafras after a busy day about town. Have been visiting Greenville for some time and this restaurant is holding it's own against a lot of new comers. Jake waited on us and was just wonderful, had great suggestions and knew what he was talking about. We had a wonderful appetizer which was special that evening, a type of potato pancake with shrimp which was delicious. We also both had fish with the savory grits, just scrumptious. Perfect ending to our day. We will definitely visit again and had a lovely experience

• Visited March 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Business trip to Greenville”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Hands down one of my top two restaurants in Greenville. The Southern Fried Chicken is my favorite but the steaks are spot on!!! Half price wine night on Wednesday, get there early or plan on a little wait - and worth every minute of wait time.

Visited March 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Mediocre service, worse food”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

An hour wait to get the main course meals, being ignored throughout that period of time. Then the bad things happened, the food came. Very, very disappointing but it sure was expensive.

• Visited February 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I will describe my March, 2014 weekend experience with Sassafras in Greenville, SC. My wife and I had 8 PM reservations. We were greeted in a congenial manner and led to our table waiting for us. Menus and wine list were on the table. We were seated immediately and our water glasses were filled while we looked at the wine list. My wife ordered a glass of wine and I stated I was fine with the water. We were told about the specials. Listening to those was our first mistake. We were given time to make up our minds. We ordered the fried green tomato appetizer and my wife, the house salad. The tomatoes, covered with pimento cheese were good enough. The salad was adequate with nuts dressing. We both decided to order one of the specials. My wife ordered striped bass on grits and I a rib eye steak with cheese/gravy sauce, side of macaroni and cheese and collards. That was 8:30 PM. Then things turned for the worse. A birthday party of about 15 to 20 took a long table at the other end of the room that had been prepared for them. For the next hour we got no more attention from our waitress, although others kept the water glasses full. We both made two trips to the restroom. At 9:30 when I was about to ask to pay for the wine, tomatoes and salad and leave we were told that our food was about to come out. I wondered if we were being intentionally ignored. (What do you think? Was it because I didn’t order wine or a bar drink?) The food coming out was a very, very bad thing. I know rib eye steak can be fatty, but mine was 50% fat and the protein part was tough. The sauce on it was not good. The macaroni and cheese was served as a block about 2.5 inches on a side. It was mostly cold although a small portion of it was a little warm. It was as though someone had gotten in a hurry, knowing that we were late being served and did a partial job on it. It didn’t matter much though, it tasted terrible. (I make my own macaroni and cheese at home, and will eat it hot, warm or cold.) Theirs was tasteless. I ate one forkful. The collard greens were adequate, but I’ve eaten much better at our local buffet style BBQ place. My wife’s fish was eatable, but nothing special. The same can be said for the bed of grits. I left 75% of my meal on the plate; my wife, about 50%. When we were asked if we wanted the remaining food boxed, I think we were able to disguise our mirth. I one mistake was ordering the very expensive specials. However, the macaroni and cheese and the collards were the side items on several of the regular menu items so there those would have been. We left very disappointed and will not return.

• Visited March 2014