“Sunday Brunch was lovely”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 934 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Armenian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Halls Chophouse is a family steakhouse restaurant originated in the Upper King District of Charleston, South Carolina. We value hospitality, superior American cuisine and a dining experience that guests revere. Special Features: Gluten-Free Friendly, Vegan and Vegetarian Friendly, Happy Hour, Kid Friendly, Romantic, Late Night, Live Music. Bar opens at 4:00pm, Dinner Service at 5:00pm. Dinner is served until 11:00 pm during the week, 12:00am on Friday and Saturday. Our menu features She Crab Soup, Oysters on the Half Shell, and Fried Calamari just to name a few dishes. Our extensive wine menu features over 100 of the most exclusive wines one may find.
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We had requested a seat by the window when making our reservation and it was a beautiful late Sunday Morning. The jazz musicians were great. Our service was excellent and my kids devoured their French toast and applewood bacon. The fruit cup with drizzled honey was delightful. I ordered the local Duck, Kale and Peas dish and it was superbly cooked and presented. My husband ordered the farmers omelet which I didn't try but he was quick to tell me "it was good but not as good as mine". Maybe he was being sweet to me but the omelet and potatoes did look pale and under seasoned.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have been to High Cotton several times since it opened in Greenville and this visit was disappointing. First off, we went at happy hour and got a few drinks from the bar. No issues there. The Maverick house wines are not bad and at $4/glass during happy hour, they are a good deal. When we moved to our table, we were disappointed to find out that they had recently changed the menu. No more crispy, delicious duck as we have had in the past. My wife ordered shrimp and grits It wasn't bad, but it wasn't duck. I had the apricot glazed pork chop. The apricot "glaze" was more like a thick, dried syrup than a thin glaze and was overly sweet and very off-putting. The pork was cooked to perfection, then ruined with the glaze. I ordered brussel sprouts in lieu of the included side, and was disappointed to see that it was plated under the apricot pork. Apricot brussel sprouts? Yuck! The sprouts that missed the glaze were full of flavor though. Too bad.

For dessert, I ordered the brownie and my wife ordered the chocolate terrine. Hers was perfect, mine was another disappointment. It was more like a chocolate whoopie pie, but with much less flavor. The garnishes and other things on the plate tasted good, but the taste and texture of the brownie left me wishing that I had an actual brownie instead of the sad little cake I had.

The service as a whole was less than average. Bar service was great. Table service was a disappointment. The waitress acted like she really didn't care about much of anything. My glass was frequently empty, she never offered me a second glass of wine with my meal, and
was flippant at the end of the meal when I discussed a concern about the cost of wine. It turns out that the $4/house wine deal was an in-bar only deal. Had I known that, I would have walked 10' to the bar and ordered my drinks from the bartender, or just not ordered two additional glasses of wine beyond the ones we got in the bar.

This used to be the kind of restaurant we would go to for a special occasion, but after the last visit, we will probably not come back. There are too many GOOD restaurants in Greenville to waste time and money at this has-been. So sad.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Reservations made 3 weeks in advace. Terribly over priced service lacking, lousy food. Extremely disappointing. Spend your money elsewhere for a nice night out. Will never go back.

2  Thank ShelleyNabors
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Went to High Cotton with high expectations, based on what we'd heard and read of this restaurant, along with the sister restaurant in Charleston. We were there with friends on New Year's Eve. Limited, prix fixe menu, which is fine. However, the whole experience was one of the worst dining experiences we've had. The food ranged from pretty good to horrible (my husband's duck was barely edible). The waiter was nauseatingly fake, and didn't seem to notice or care that some of our food was barely touched, or that he spilled au jus all over the table and our friend's jacket. Though it was NYE, the restaurant was not packed. Someone who appeared to be the manager spent most of the time chatting with guests at a nearby table. Maybe if he'd been paying more attention to running his restaurant, the evening would have been more pleasant. We will NOT be back to High Cotton, unfortunately.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I visited this restaurant for dinner after attending a play at the near-by Peace Center. We look for fresh, local ingredients and were not disappointed. My husband had the duck breast and sautéed spinach, while I had the vegetable plate. We both agreed it was one of the best meals we have ever had in a restaurant. The service was also great and they readily accommodated my husband's dairy sensitivity. The view of the river area is a bonus. We will be back!