“Very good experience, and....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 899 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Halls Chophouse is a family steakhouse restaurant originated in the Upper King District of Charleston, South Carolina. We value hospitality, superior American cuisine and a dining experience that guests revere. Special Features: Gluten-Free Friendly, Vegan and Vegetarian Friendly, Happy Hour, Kid Friendly, Romantic, Late Night, Live Music. Bar opens at 4:00pm, Dinner Service at 5:00pm. Dinner is served until 11:00 pm during the week, 12:00am on Friday and Saturday. Our menu features She Crab Soup, Oysters on the Half Shell, and Fried Calamari just to name a few dishes. Our extensive wine menu features over 100 of the most exclusive wines one may find.
Greenville, South Carolina
“Very good experience, and....”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

...will likely be a place we visit once. Let me be clear. Our experience was great in all areas. I called ahead of time and placed a reservation. Their staff was wonderful and even provided us a seat by the window at request. Their serving staff were polite and noticeably on their 'A' game. You will not get this level of service at most places. We had a quail appetizer that was great. My wife, with less of the 'food tasting' gene said it tasted like KFC. This truly wasn't the case. I would go back just for their appetizer:)

The meal was prepared well, and the Shrimp and Grits were better than the my experience in Charleston. We didn't get dessert because we had childcare for the first time since we moved to Greenville and wanted to take back cupcakes from The Chocolate Moose for our appreciation. We had valet parking, and there was good music. My family had the chicken plate and I tasted some of my wife's and it was really good. If I had any criticism whatsoever, I did not like their Charleston Crab Soup. Tasted fine, more on the creamy side with little flavor, but not overly strong on the pallet.

Now here is the rub. I had planned to spend more based on the expectation that my mother, father and wife would get more expensive meals. I budgeted four desserts and at least one or two more soups or salads. So overall, the cost was not as high as I planned for. However, the cost was still the cost. My overall meal without tip was $121.00 for four. One appetizer that my father and I shared, one salad, one soup, and then four main courses. Not insane or offensive right? But more money than most and there are a lot of really good "most" out their for a lower cost.

This was a 'one and done' experience for me. There are too many 'very good' restaurants in Greenville for me to return to High Cotton. I will go there before I go to Chophouse, Ruth's Chris, California Dreamin, or any other chain.

Great environment for families, but our daughter is 17 months and even though she is well behaved High Cotton is a little pricey to gamble with a potential childhood fit.

• Visited February 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Very high level of service and a gorgeous location”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had many special requests that hit every aspect of service and they filled every request like it was no effort at all. This place is impressive and deserves its accolades.

I had meant to make reservations and forgot, so we were told there would be a 15 minute wait for a table or we could eat at the bar. We chose the bar. The bartender took our drink orders and made a special drink for my 6yo daughter since she couldn't decide what she wanted to drink. 1st special request and she loved it.

We ordered our food. The barstools didn't have a back, so I asked the hostess if we could change our minds and be seated at a table since my mom was finding the chairs uncomfortable. She said they'd clear a table for us and brought a high-backed chair for my mom until they could get us a table. After a brief trip to the bathroom, we moved to our table which was at a window with a perfect view of the river. 2nd request and we were never made to feel like we were being unreasonable by changing our minds. The transition to the table was seamless.

Last special request was for my mom's low sodium diet. Those who eat a low sodium diet know that normally means odd looks from the server and a mild attempt by the kitchen. In this case, the bartender is the one who put in the request since we'd put in our order at the bar. My mom and I both ordered the lunch filet which enabled us to compare how they'd prepared hers differently. Neither her steak nor the fries had any seasoning on it (which is where the salt gets added) and the herb butter that came on top of my filet came on the side for her. She said it was the truest and best low-sodium meal she'd eaten out. This is huge that a kitchen takes something like this into account and gives the customer exactly what they need. 3rd request which was the most impressive since it tends to be the hardest to pull off.

I was so impressed with the whole experience that I spoke to a manager. We learned that there's a new chef here who came from Husk in Charleston. Not surprising after the expert touch we saw with my mom's lunch. During the conversation, he asked if my daughter had gotten a rose for Valentine's., Her answer was no. He surprised her a few minutes later with a red rose.

It's touches like these that impress you. Our server told us there was a proposal the night before (Valentine's Day). I'm sure this staff made it a very special one!

• Visited February 2013
SIMPSONVILLE
“High Cotton meets High Expectations”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I often take clients to High Cotton for dinner. It is always a great experience. Only once was there a hickup...and they graciously accommodated us for their mistake. I will continue to go with no hesitation. Love the local food variety and seasonal menu changes.

somewhere
“Nice nite out”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

overall it was a nice nite out just not what I was expecting given the cost. The food was flavorful but the salmon and steak were undercooked (steak was ordered as medium and came out more rare than medium and the salmon was definitely rare). Service was the best and the big glass windows made for a pretty location

Auburn, Illinois
“Walking in High Cotton!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

High Cotton is fabulous! The food and view of the Reedy River is second to none. The Peace Center is next door...so catch a show and enjoy some Shrimp & Grits at High Cotton!

1 Thank DESAuburnIL