“If your kid loves Thomas the Tank Engine, they will love this place.”
Review of Miniature World of Trains - CLOSED

Miniature World of Trains
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: "Where Ordinary Days Become Extraordinary". "A Fun and Educational Family Experience". "Our World In Miniature". The Miniature World of Trains (a 501c3 Non Profit) new 20,000sf location features several model railroad display. The new Miniature World of Trains will be built in phases from 2015 through 2019 featuring a large miniature display featuring up to 120 HO Scale fully computerized model trains traversing the large city and mountain scene, some reaching 18 feet in height! The highly detailed scenery will enhance your experience! Try one of the several scavenger hunts to have fun and check out some of the finer details. Interactive buttons allow you to operate trains and other things on the display. Real railroad and model railroad artifacts can be found in the throughout the facility. Also, we have the large O Scale Christmas Model Train Display which was the "PICK OF THE SEASON" for WYFF 4 (NBC) here in Greenville and reviewed as "ONCE OF THE BEST CHRISTMAS DISPLAY'S IN THE COUNTRY" according to Classic Toy Trains Magazine. Plus the new $100,000 HO Home Demonstration Display display pre-qualified visitors can operate on. We have S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) Educational Programs for all ages. Special events and special pricing occur all the time. Open days and times vary throughout the year.
Reviewed December 15, 2014

My son loves all things Thomas the train. I heard about this hidden gem which is downtown Greenville (a stone's throw distance from the Falls Park bridge) I recommend that you come visit during the Christmas holidays. There are two main displays during the winter months. The first display is the Christmas featured train display. There is a room about 500 square feet with a snowy mountain scene. There is a holiday themed scavenger hunt that my son and I enjoyed doing together. (The theme was primarily based on Frozen and Rudolph) After about 45 minutes of walking around the Christmas display, we headed over to the second display. The second display is much larger (probably 1,000 - 1,500 square feet. There is a giant mountain in the center, an entire town, roundhouse, neighborhoods, etc... If you remember Mr. Roger's Neighborhood's opening scene, it brought back a lot of memories. There were train tunnels, bridges, and lots of scenery that made it very enjoyable. I think I enjoyed it a bit more than my son. After walking around the second display (which is the one that is there year round) for another 30 minutes, my son was ready to go. The scavenger hunt for the second display was geared towards older kids (i.e., how many_____ are there).

When we went, it was $5 per child, and $7 per adult. I think it was worth it, especially since we got two displays for the price of one. My favorite was actually the Christmas display. I think you should plan on spending an hour to an hour and a half (depending on age of child/attention span).

Afterwards, stop by Spill the Beans by Falls Park for a treat.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"sc"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed October 11, 2014

My niece discovered this and we went to find it. It is very close to Falls Park,so was very convenient for us. We spent a couple of hours exploring the display and had a great time with the
Scavenger hunt. I thought it was awesome!!

Reviewed October 8, 2014

We had fun for an hour visiting the MWOT. Be aware that they are still building so it is not complete. My 2 boys - 8 and 12 had fun with the scavenger hunt but without help from the guides it is almost impossible.

The price is a little steep at $5 per person - including kids. May be an idea to have a family ticket or a discount for kids. I think $10 for a parent and 2 kids would have been more reasonable.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

It's beautiful and they have done a great job but we considered the entrance fee ($5) overpriced. I guess you enjoy a lot if you like models and trains but it was not that fun for us. There was no change of lights, night effect or anything while we were there. We found the scavenge hunt impossible to complete (and I really tried) but there is a point when you say "enough".

1  Thank carlos227869
F C R, General Manager at Miniature World of Trains, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

We are sorry you did not have a good time at the Miniature World of Trains BETA . With not knowing what day or time you where at our venue, or how long you stayed at the the Miniature World of Trains, it is hard to respond without more specifics. Regarding the day / night effects. We are still in the testing phases and do not run the day night lighting change all the time. We have no specific time when the day / night effects are tested. The only scheduled time for the day / night lighting is next scheduled is for the "Full Moon Night" promotion on September 6th, 2014 at this time. The Miniature World of Trains BETA (MWOT) team is continuing to upgrade, update and replace the lighting on the display, so other than specific scheduled days like the "Full Moon Night", the day / night scene may not be operational, nor advertised as such. We are not sure about your point about the Scavenger Hunt. The hunt revolves around looking for specific items and details on the MWOT display. The questions are simple. For example, How many cars are they are the longest train? How many churches are there? How many Zombies are there? What movie is playing at the Fox Theater? The volunteers are there to help you find items on the display and some questions are designed to have you interact with the volunteer staff as well. Such as, how high are the mountains? The only way to know that is to ask a volunteer. That is part of the fun about the display. If you had trouble with a question, visitors can always ask a volunteer. The Miniature World of Trains BETA is here to educate and entertain at the same time and we hope you will give us another visit, maybe during the Holiday Season when we add the Christmas Model Train Display to the offerings at the Miniature World of Trains!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 16, 2014

I took my kids to the MIniature World of Trains in Greenville yesterday. They had a great time and keep talking about when we are going back and taking mom with us. The layout is very impressive, with several different trains running at once. The small city, as well as the countryside, represented have many neat little features (animated signs on some of the buildings, wildlife such as deer and bear, farm animals, zombies walking through the streets of the city, lighted buildings, etc.). My kids really enjoyed the scavenger hunt that they give you upon entrance and helps to point out these features and many more. The volunteers are very friendly and helpful, and extremely knowledgeable about the layout. They have a few displays in the back, showing real-life railroad artifacts. This attraction is still in its development stages - I am sure that once it is totally finished, it will be one of the top attractions in downtown. They do a special Christmas train during the holiday season. We really enjoyed it and look forward to going back.