“Nice hotel but dont expect them to honor your reservation”

Staybridge Suites Greenville I-85 Woodruff Road
Ranked #35 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
“Nice hotel but dont expect them to honor your reservation”
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We booked a two bedroom suite with 1 queen and two double beds because there were 2 adults and 4 children. We were taking our son to Bob Jones University and asked for that discount. We were given a rate of 149$ which was cheaper than the online best available rate by Chanelle. I asked her if late check in would be a problem because we would be arriving late from dropping our son off at college that night before coming to the hotel she said it would be fine. I called the day of arrival at 4 pm..we were told the day of the reservation that cancellations could be made until 6 pm but I called at 4 to reaffirm that late check in would be fine. Chanelle said it would and our room would be ready. We got there at 10:30 pm and our room had been given away. The lady at the front desk tried to give us a 1 bedroom two bed suite and we told her that wouldnt hold 6 people. She already had two separate room papers filled out for my husband to sign so we know this was done deliberately to make more money off the 2 room suite. We showed her the copy of our reservation and she told us she was sorry but the room was no longer available and the only choice we had were 2 separate rooms that were 10 rooms apart..room 101 and 111.She gave us two separate rooms at a reduced rate. My husband was very angry and wanted to go to another hotel but we were exhausted so we stayed in rooms that were at opposite ends of the hall from each other. I stayed with two children and he stayed with two children. I dont understand how a hotel can give your room away when you have reserved it with a credit card. I told the lady that that was very bad public relations. She was very kind and did give us a good rate on two rooms but when we go back to visit our son at college I think we'll go to Residence Inn Marriot instead. That is the first time in our travels that our room has ever been given away after being secured with a credit card. The hotel itself was really nice, new clean...but if you cant be confident that your reservation will be honored it leaves a bad feeling about ever trying it again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank blessthishome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed December 9, 2009

All of the personnel aimed to please. Our stay was very enjoyable.

The property is in very good shape. It appears to have been recently built.

We debated between the suite and the one bedroom. The suite gave us plenty of space. The only difference is a walled-in bedroom and a breakfast bar in the kitchen area. We loved having the full size fridge. It made it easy to store the food we were contributing to Thanksgiving dinner. Also the flat screen TV with HD content is very nice. We should have brought a DVD for the DVD player. Moving the dresser that it sits on a foot further from the bed would certainly make it easier to access the bed though. The bathroom area is very well lit with plenty roomy. I enjoyed the water pressure in the shower and the curved shower rod with windowed shower curtain made it seem even more spacious. One nuisance is the brightly lit sink and mirror area is not separated at all from the bedroom in either type of unit which made it hard to sleep in while my wife was getting ready. (My wife wants me to note that she found a couple of hairs in the room and because of that will only allow me to give the property 4 of 5 for cleanliness.) The bed was quite comfy and an assortment of pillow types was provided. One thing missing was a luggage rack. It would have been nice to have something in the closet to set and open our suitcase on. We ended up moving one of the coffee tables into the closet -- wonder if we remembered to put it back.

The hotel has some great common areas for gathering and some nice amenities such as exercise room, business center, and BBQ grills. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast which had good selection that was kept replenished. The evening reception was good too.

We had a great stay and would definitely stay here again. You get a lot for your money. It is also located in a good location with tons of stores and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 19, 2009

The rooms are well appointed but small. The check in staff was very professional. Beyond these two points I do not have anything else positive to say about this property.

My issue with this property begin when I left my king down pillow in my room after check out. I called the hotel the next day to ask whether my pillow has been turned in by the housekeeping staff. I was told it was not, that the hotel is not liable for anything left in the room, the housekeeping staff probably did not even notice my pillow when they changed the linen and that they would call me back in two days. I replied that I knew that they were not liable and it was hard for me to understand how the housekeeping staff could not notice the difference between my king pillow and their small standard pillow; the hotel pillow cases would not have fit over my pillow.

I never received the follow up call from the hotel so I contacted Staybridge customer service. I was told by a customer service representative that the hotel would call me within 48 hours. 96 hours later I had not been contacted by the hotel. I contacted Staybridge customer service again and was told that the hotel was not liable for items left in the room, the hotel kept lost items for 90 days and someone would contact me if the pillow was turned in. Not a very good reply to why the hotel had not contacted me. It almost seemed to be a cut and paste reply.

I will never see the pillow again because one or more of the hotel staff lacked the integrity and honesty to return the pillow to me. I know that the hotel staff knows who cleaned the room on the day I checked out. Did that person keep the pillow? Were they asked about the pillow? Did the person turn the pillow in and someone else kept the pillow? Why didn't someone at the hotel follow up as they said they would? Why didn't Staybridge customer service follow up when I was not contacted within 48 hours?

I wil not stay at this hotel again. If this property does not have the intergrity and honesty in this case what else are they capable of? I am also very disappointed in the Staybridge customer service representatives. The lack of follow up and not focusing on the customer was disheartening.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MoovinOn
Athens, GA
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband works out of town so we travel with him on occasion. I have to say this is one of the best hotel suites we've stayed at. The rooms are wonderful!!! Everything you need and more! The staff is very friendly and helpful! You get breakfast,dinner and free wine and beer in the afternoon! You just can't find places like this anymore for a reasonable price! I have to say I believe they should have a 5 star rating all the way around!!!!! Last time we stayed at the Hampton down the street and it was not bad. This facility is much nicer and they have more to offer. Don't think about staying anywhere else because this place is GREAT!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
NC
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I was so pleased and impressed with the accommodations at the Staybridge Suites. As part of Inter-Continental Hotels, I should have expected such high standards. The property is quite new and incredibly comfortable. I was surprised by the attention to details; various grades of pillows, plasma HDTV, all the gadgets, and an extremely well equipped kitchen (granite counter tops), with all the goodies. Wonderful place. The breakfast was amazing - I could not get over the variety; both hot & cold items, really well put together, and pleasant staff (both front desk and food servers) to boot!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I went to Greenville to visit someone who was working out of town. I was warned that some hotels in the area were not very nice.
When I got to the hotel from the airport, the clerk asked how I arrived there at the hotel. I was supposed to take a hotel shuttle but since I did not see one, I instead took a taxi. The clerk then discounted the amount I paid for the taxi off of my room rate. Amazing! All of the staff here at the hotel was very friendly and quite helpful.
I stayed in a two room suite. The entry room contained a fully furnished kitchen (yes, even a full-sized refrigerator), a desk, a plasma TV, and couch. The bedroom had its own plasma TV as well. The room was clean and well furnished, although the couch was quite uncomfortable. The bed was more comfortable than my one at home with soft linens and many pillows.
Similar to other hotels, this one had a free continental breakfast in their great room. Even better, 3 days a week in the evening, this hotel also served free dinner including free BEER AND WINE!!!! In the back area outside, there was a fire pit for socializing and a small swimming pool. Off the great room was a separate area called the theater which had a huge plasma TV, several chairs, and a DVD player if you wanted to watch a movie.
For the price I paid, this place is amazing. I am going back in June and looking forward to my stay!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kff8
Iowa
Reviewed November 13, 2008

We stayed at this Staybridge for a week and wished we could have stayed longer. The rooms are great! Comfortable bed, great kitchen and nice flat screen TV with DVD player. They also have the Sundowner's reception Tuesday through Thursday nights that include great meals from hamburgers to beef stew and complimentary drinks to go with. The lobby with the fireplace is very welcoming and makes you feel at home. The laundry services are free as well! There's a home theater that you can use to watch movies or catch a game on. The customer service was excellent. Overall, it was an excellent stay and couldn't have asked for anything better. Will definitely return to this Staybridge when in the area again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jmebagen