Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a unique Hampton Inn as it blends into the charming, downtown that is Greenville, SC. We spent the weekend there and never had to move our car. Convenient walking to all the downtown restaurants and venues, including Falls Park. We had a great view of the Reedy River. Hotel was very clean and front desk staff was exceptional! Many thanks to Miguel for his great customer service and help in making our weekend special! Would highly recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the river - worth the extra money.
1  Thank Rusty B
hamptongsm, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Rusty B,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Riverplace-Greenville Downtown!

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our centralized location and that you never had to move your car! Being in the heart of downtown really makes it easy for our guests to easily walk around the area and enjoy all the great things downtown Greenville has to offer. Thank you for your comments to our staff and to Miguel. We are so lucky to have him part of our team and I will make sure he sees your comments.

We can't wait to have you back with us should your travels return to the Greenville area. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Should you have the opportunity to travel to Greenville – Downtown stay here! Best location to Falls Park and Bridge. Best of all staff was very warm and welcoming each and every guest. From check in to check out entire staff had smiling faces. Very relaxing atmosphere was warm and friendly. Rooms clean and conformable - meet all my needs. Close to everything from dining, entertainment, specialty bars and mice. We found all of them. Thank you Matt, GM for making our quick get-a-way special.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trip-Review7717
hamptongsm, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Trip-Review7717,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Riverplace for your recent trip to Greenville. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments to our hotel staff! It is very nice to hear you were able to take full advantage of our centralized location, exploring all the great restaurants and bars in downtown.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon! Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance. Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Hotel staff is incredible. Everyone is so friendly, nice and helpful. Brett is amazing along with entire front desk staff. Housekeeping is very clean and efficient. Wonderful location to river front and downtown events. Will reccommend to everyone heading to Greenville.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Susan J
hamptongsm, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Susan J,

Thank you so much for writing a review on the Hampton Inn & Suites Riverplace! We are happy you enjoyed your stay and thank you for comments to our wonderful hotel staff. As a team, it is always our main goal to ensure each each and every guest has an enjoyable experience.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Though I live in the Greenville area, I had the opportunity to stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Riverplace for a wedding. The location is in the lower middle of Greenville. It is closer to the West End (and the closest hotel to the baseball stadium). The hotel is right on the river and is an excellent place to stay for the Peace Center for the Performing Arts (just across the bridge on the other side of the river), Falls Park (just down the side street), and a number of nearby restaurants and art studios (along the river right in front of the hotel).

The hotel itself is in the Riverplace plaza right on the river. The front entrance opens onto the plaza itself, but isn’t clearly marked. You’ll see a small sign and a door right on the corner in the plaza main, this is the front entrance. There is no grand entrance. This is the main entrance for the hotel and the only entrance most people will use. If you are driving, parking is in the Riverplace garage which is actually a public garage that is under the hotel and plaza. The main entrance to the garage is on River Street, which parallels Main Street behind the plaza and the hotel. If you drive on the road in front of the plaza, you can make your first right onto River Street and then you will see the entrance to the garage on the right. It is next to the river, but the garage is set far back from the road. The signs mark it fairly well though. I believe I also saw a single narrow car entrance into the garage right next to the hotel, but I did not travel it and could not be certain if it was an entrance or exit.

The garage itself seemed safe. Once in the garage there is an elevator to the plaza and it has a sign clearly marking it as the way to the hotel. The elevator brings you to the plaza, but the plaza is covered so no need to worry about the weather other than a couple of steps from the plaza into the hotel. When exiting the elevator the hotel is directly in front of you with the door to your right just around the corner. It is only about 30 feet away.

I say all of this because I had trouble finding it myself following the wedding wearing very uncomfortable shoes.

So onto the hotel itself. As I said, the entrance is not grand in any regard but it is quite nice. The hotel is very high end for a Hampton Inn. In fact, I believe the only reason it is listed as a Hampton Inn as opposed to a higher brand is because of the smaller size of the hotel itself. The front desk attendant was very nice as I entered into the hotel about midnight. The front door is locked, but an insistent buzzer in the lobby area announces your arrival. There is a small store with drinks and a variety of foods and aspirins are available and are reasonably (for a hotel) priced. The lobby was very nice and adjoins the breakfast area which is in a round room with windows. The breakfast was both free and very good with a variety of hot foods, waffles, cereals, fruits and the like. It is on par with the best free breakfast buffets you will find.

My room was a king room facing the river. They have a number of river front suites as well, but the cost of the hotel tends to be high and I just needed the sleep; thus my choice. The room was standard fare for a king bed room. The bed was very comfortable with a note that let me know the covers including the duvet were cleaned prior to my arrival. The smell and look of the duvet supported the statement of the note. There was a large TV and a mini fridge available. There was nothing available in the mini fridge, so if you want something it is best to purchase and bring with you. The view out of the window gave a great vista of the river and the Peace Center as well as most of Greenville which rises before you up the hill in the distance. The air conditioner was good though it senses an unoccupied room and adjusts to 75 degrees after many hours. No need to worry if you are just out for the day, but I wished I had time to check in and adjust it before coming in for the night. The temperature dropped fairly quickly though. The wireless was easily available and free as was the in room coffee maker. There are additional pillows as usual and a variety of toiletries if needed. The in room channels were many and they also have the movies available for rent including some movies that were not yet released to DVD.

As for food options in the area… There are many and all within walking distance. The Lazy Goat is right across the plaza for the entrance to the hotel. Just down the side street (a 2 minute walk) is Fords Oyster house and Cajun café. They have good food (and brunch on Sunday) and a lively night life. Also on the side street (Camperdown Way) is Chicora Alley. You will see the deck on the right side nearing the corner. You can enter this direction or turn the corner onto Main and look for the small door with the name. They have good southwestern food with a southern twist. If you turn left and walk up main street you have High Cotton on your immediate left, a higher end continental restaurant. You also have Larkin’s on the River if you cross the bridge and take the steps down on the left (it is almost directly across the river from the hotel). They are also a high end continental cuisine. Further up main street past Falls Park (on the right) and the Peace Center (on the left) once the road and sidewalks turn to brick on the right side is Soby’s. Sobys is excellent southern food and is a good option at the upper middle dollar amounts. On the left side of Main, just past the Peace Center is Rick Erwin’s Nantucket Seafood. It is a high end seafood place and is the best in the area. Further up Main you have many more restaurants. You can walk all of Main Street with good shoes. If wearing uncomfortable shoes it may be too far to venture any further north. Starting back at the hotel and then turning right on Main also has a number of excellent restaurants including Rick Erwins, a high end steak and fish (on the right) and a little further up (4-5 minute walk from the hotel) is Smoke on the Water (on the left). Smoke is a middle priced southern food place which is well known for their smoked brisket. So that is just to name a few of the restaurants in walking distance. And yes, just a few, Greenville is a foodie town, no doubt about it.

As a whole I was very pleased with the hotel. It does not feel like you are staying in a Hampton Inn, there is certainly more of a Hilton feel to the hotel. This is important since the cost was pretty high. Staying downtown is usually pretty expensive, but the cost is on par with the Westin Poinsett, which makes me feel like it is a little higher than it should be. I paid $200 for the room for the night and I believe the appropriate price should be about $160. That said, there was no part of my stay or experience that was not enjoyable. If you are determined to stay in downtown Greenville in the lower section (and are willing to pay for it), then the Hampton Inn and Suites is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: The main rooms with a good view will be facing the river. If you would rather not splurge on a rive...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Kdog5000

Dear Kdog5000,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on the Hampton Inn & Suites Riverplace! We appreciate your detailed information pertaining to our property and all the great things Greenville has to offer. Your review is very informative for all future travelers coming to the area and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others here on TripAdvisor.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon! Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever assist you in the future.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I agree the staff is very friendly and helpful. Especially Manolo, he helped us at the elevator. The breakfast staff was also very friendly and made you feel at home. Enjoyed the entire visit. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TriciaPatricia

Dear TriciaPatricia,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Riverplace for your recent trip to Greenville. We appreciate you sharing your experience with others here on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear our hotel staff, especailly Manolo took extra good care of you during your stay. We are very lucky to have Manolo part of our team and I will be sure he sees your comments!

We can't wait to have you back with us. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Arrived there and was treated like royalty, the desk manager walk to my car helped with the luggage and directed me to underground parking. He then suggested the Lazy Goat for me to get a bite to eat. Everything about the hotel is great!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank RBBrenick

Dear RBBrenick,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review on the Hampton Inn & Suites Riverplace. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments to our staff. As a team, we strive to make sure we are always going over and beyond to help our guests with whatever they need!

We hope to have the opportunity to host your next trip should you return to the Greenville area. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was the nicest Hampton Inn ever! The staff was so friendly and helpful. It was away from Montgomery but so glad I stopped for an overnight. The rooms are nice and large and breakfast was very good.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
2  Thank SuziQ878

Dear SuziQ878,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others here on TripAdvisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments to our hotel staff! We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future should you return to Greenville.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance.