“Not your momma's Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a very nice property in the heart of beautiful little Greenville. The location is perfect--right on the Reedy River and the Swamp Rabbit Trail, just steps away from Main Street. Downtown Greenville is a jewel, and the pride people take in it is evident at this hotel as well. Staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast (which includes tons of fresh fruit) was far better than what you get at a typical Hampton Inn, although the dining area is a little too small. Internet is free; parking is only $6 per day.

I have two teeny tiny gripes: 1. Whatever they use to clean the bathroom has a chemical, institutional smell. 2. I didn't mind the call from the front desk right after I got to my room, but the voicemail message the following day, asking if my stay was still OK, was annoying, especially since I had to punch in a bunch of numbers to retrieve and then delete the message. But those are minor issues. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TanteBabs
matt_lew-GM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear TanteBabs,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Tripadvisor! It is always nice to hear that our guests enjoy our stay. We definitely take a lot of pride in our hotel because all of us as a staff work closely as a team to ensure our guests are always happy and feel like they are at home. I do apologize for the cleaning chemical smell you had in your bathroom. We use all environmentally friendly cleaning products and some may have a bit of a chemical smell to them. Also, for the voicemail message system, we are required by brand standard to do that for guests staying longer than one night to ensure that everything is still working properly in the room so that we can take care of any issues that may arise if necessary. Again, we thank you for taking the time to write about us, it means a lot to all of us here. We look forward to having you with us again soon! Have a great evening!

Kristin Graham
Guest Service Supervisor
(864) 271-8700
k.graham@hospitalityamerica.com

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in November 2012 with a friend. We were pleased with the overall experience. Exactly what you would expect from a Hampton Inn. Beautiful location close to shops, restaurants and the park.

Our only complaint is the noise level. We were in a room close to the elevator and a group of kids was staying on our floor. It was quite loud at times. We could hear people in the hallway and outside in the courtyard area. Otherwise, it was a good stay and we would stay there again. We would just request a room far away from the elevator.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Jessica M
matt_lew-GM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Jessica M,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn & Suites Riverplace and for sharing your experience with others here on Tripadvisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your feedback.

We would love to have you back soon! Please feel free to contact me if I can ever be of assistance in the future.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Good hotel in very nice area of Greenville. Several restaurants in walking distance.
Breakfast better than usual, fresh fruits, waffles, really good.
The breakfast area is a little bit too small, gets busy in the morning.

What I don't understand is that a hotel that charges $150 - $200 a night can't have an AC that is quite. The unit was not broken, just so noisy that I woke up every time it started up. Will not stay there again, need my sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael K
matt_lew-GM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Michael K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Hampton Inn and Suites Riverplace and for sharing your experience with others.

We appreciate your comments regarding breakfast and thank you for feedback about the AC unit. I sincerely apologize that the noise from your AC unit kept you from getting a good night’s rest. We have addressed this with our maintenance department to ensure this does not happen again. If you would like to speak further about your stay please do not hesitate to contact me.

Again Michael K, I apologize your stay was not fully to your satisfaction. We hope you will give us another opportunity should you return to Greenville and if there is anything I can do to ensure your patronage please let me know.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was a little skeptical about a Hampton Inn claiming to be a first-rate downtown hotel, but this was definitely not your average Hampton. It has the look and feel of a high-end urban hotel and was the nicest Hampton I've ever stayed in. It's part of a new mixed use development on the waterfront in Greenville and was clearly designed to be a cut above a typical hotel. In addition to the quality of the place, the location was perfect for seeing the town. It's right on the Swamp Rabbit Trail and adjacent to Reedy River Falls Park and the West End Historic district. If you go to Greenville, this is definitely the place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shannon B
matt_lew-GM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Shannon B,

Thank you for writing a review on the Hampton Inn & Suites Riverplace and for sharing your experience with others! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your wonderful comments.

We would love to have the opportunity to host your next trip to Greenville. Please feel free to contact me if I can ever be of assistance!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The location of this hotel is great. Set back just a bit off of mainstreet to keep the noise down. It's right by Falls Park and the shopping of main street and west end. The hotel was quiet and clean. I slept great. Room had a great view of the river and parking was a reasonable $5 for an underground parking garage.

Breakfast was a bit crowded but well stocked.

Overall, it was a notch up from your typical Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Swimmer418
matt_lew-GM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Swimmer418,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others here on Tripadvisor! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your comments.

We would love to have you back should your travles bring you back to Greenville. Give us a call if we can be of assistance in making future reservations!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Went there for a business meeting and stayed one night with the wife. Clean and spacious. Next time I'll ask for a better view. The meeting space was very nice on floor 2. The staff was a bit overwhelmed when we arrived to a packed lobby, but they did their best to work quickly.

Room Tip: Ask for river view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LUTiger16
matt_lew-GM, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Greenville - Downtown - Riverplace, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear LuTiger16,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others on Tripadvisors! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your business.

We would love to have you back and should your travles bring you back the area, please give us a call for any of your lodging needs.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

This Hampton is like no other I've been in and sits right off the river in downtown Greenville, SC. It's right in the midst of what is going on and just enought out of the way to be beautiful. It has it's own waterfalls that draw you to it. Loved the Southern charm of the people who work there. It seemed that everyone could not do enough for us.

Room Tip: We had a room farther from the elevator and closer to the river. What a lovely view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nationalmama

Dear nationalmamma,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Hampton Inn & Suites Riverplace! I am delighted to hear your enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for compliments to our staff!

We hope to have the opportunity to host your next trip should you return to the area. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance.