“Enjoyable”

Blue Ridge Brewing Company
Ranked #7 of 32 Nightlife in Greenville
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I had an enjoyable late lunch of appetizer fare at BRBC. The calamari was cooked well and the fried mushrooms were on point - maybe a little too much breading on them though. There was a cream dip that came with both that should easily take the place of the marinara sauce - very tasty on each!

I had the IPA and the stout - both great choices! The atmosphere was laid back and comfortable. The bartenders were attentive but not pushy and the food came out quick.

Note: One reviewer mentioned "warm" beer. I don't think any bar would actually serve warm beer or try to justify warm beer. However MOST micro-breweries I have been to that serve anything but pilsner styles(Bud, Coors, Miller) use "cellar cold" as their chilling method. This means that the beer is not refrigerated in the common sense but instead is kept in a climate controlled area. The beer is then served and usually is on the colder side of luke warm. This is indeed done to improve and impart the flavor of the beer as the bartender said. There are appropriate temperatures for wine so why is it so hard to believe there are appropriate ones for beer? I'm not a beer expert and I'm sure someone else can explain it better...

I was surprised the first time I learned about "cellar cold." It was at a micro-brewery. Now I will generally ask if that is how the location serves their beer so I am not surprised!

Hope this clears up anything and that it prevents you from being dissuaded from sampling some tasty beverages for fear of it being "warm."

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had lunch here. One of the lunch specials was Ophelia's chicken. Best fried chicken I have had in quite a while. Two sides all for $6.95. My wife had the calamari, which she would have preferred without the sauce underneath. They were out of their stout beer, but the EsB was very good.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Decided to spend the New Years Ball drop at Blue Ridge. I don't understand why the place wasn't more crowded the atmosphere is fun and the beers are great. They provided a champagne toast on the house and the drinks were well priced. We'll be returning soon!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had high hopes for this brewery and was completely let down as I started with the IPA and it was delivered in a warm glass and the beer was flat and warm as well. The server tried to explain the brewery wants the flavor of the beer to come through and delivers the IPA warm. I told him no thanks on the warm beer and the server returned with a chilled glass and just dumped the warm beer into the glass. The IPA was flat and the void of flavor and I would have picked a PBR over this brew. I moved to the Pale Ale and it was equally flat and flavorless. The other members of our party were equally disappointed in their beer selection and we moved onto Carolina Ale house for some decent beer.

The food was decent and the shrimp and grits is worth a try!