“Was good 30 years ago, still good today”
Review of Charlie's Steak House - CLOSED

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My wife and I recently had dinner at this downtown restaurant and really enjoyed it. We had eaten there years ago and decided to try it again. Glad we did! Just to clarify...we lived away from Greenville almost 30 years. The restaurant is still managed by the same family and they have maintained the same traditions....great food...especially steaks....at a very good price. My wife had the filet and I had a strip, both were fantastic cuts. One thing I might mention is the fact that they do not really season their steaks....so for those of you who are accustomed to the heavy blackening and or rubs used by chain steakhouses, you better bring your own because you will not find it here. They will provide some of their homemade steak sauce which is similar to A-1. All in all the food was very good and the price was very reasonable.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

We were invited as guests for a family dinner. There are many cuts of beef available on the menu. You can order a side dish of either baked potato or french fries. The meal starts off with a salad. There is no bread or any other sides. The salad was a small plate of warm, limp mixed green lettuce. There was absolutely nothing else in the "salad". You had a choice of parmesan peppercorn, blue cheese or thousand island dressing. I ordered the filet mignon with a baked potato. The filet was overcooked and had no flavor. It was obviously not seasoned prior to cooking and was dry. It was the worst filet I have ever eaten. The baked potato was, well...a baked potato. This is an expensive, outdated, lack-luster restaurant with a poor menu. I will never return. There are so many fantastic restaurants in Greenville, SC. Don't waste your money or time in this one.

1  Thank momofninecherubs
Reviewed March 27, 2012

It's good, sometimes, have a real steack and if this your intention.. don't hesitate, this is your choice. The location is in down town of this city that do any effort to have a real life during the night. I have a filet that was perfectly cooked in a very traditional way but, one of the plus of this place is that this family is in that business from years. That means that you can spend some time to have a look at the picture at the wall to have a idea of what this want to mean. Have a good dinner.

1  Thank sergio_sbc
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I read different reviews about Charlie's Steak House, some good, others not. I went hopeful but cautious. It is a quaint restaurant, the service was good but both my wife and my ribeye steaks were the toughest we have ever had any where in the world. The owner was nice and offered to not charge my wife after she complained, even was willing to replace it. How did the chef let not one but two tough pieces of steak out of his/her kitchen? She said that she only ordered the best aged meat. Well, she didn't try eating these. She needs to change her supplier. I usually don't complain, but to advertise aged beef and get something that tough (could hardly chew it) was a big disappointment. Not going back there again.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Got a deal through LivingSocial.com, it was well worth the $25 for $50 and the extra $12 we spent for drinks and gratuities! Their steaks are second to none that I've had in the Greenville/Spartanburg area.