“Good dinner but the price...eh so so”
Review of Soby's

Soby's
Reserve with OpenTable
Soby's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 907 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Court St.
Description: Soby's New South Cuisine is a blend of contemporary cuisine infused with traditional southern ingredients. The restaurant opened in 1997 and is housed in the warm environment of a renovated, century-old building and has a mezzanine level that can accommodate large parties ordering a la carte. Starting with fresh, seasonal ingredients, our chefs transform Southern favorites into something comfortable and fresh. The wine list is a consistent winner of Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast awards. Signature dishes include Barbecue Shrimp and Grits, Fried Green Tomatoes with Jalapeno Pimento Cheese, and Crab Cakes Remoulade.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good dinner but the price...eh so so”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had reservations Friday night and were promptly seated. The restaurant is pretty and the interior was very charming. We sat upstairs and were able to get a birds eye view of the kitchen which was very cool. We waited about 10 minutes before we even got water from some other than our waiter. Our waiter seemed rushed and wanted our entire order immediately upon ordering a drink, which definitely killed the romance factor for date night. Our drinks from the bar were amazingly good so highly recommend this restaurant for cocktails. The food came and it was good but it was definitely over priced. If I am going to pay more than $30 an entree, it better be something I can't cook myself and none of the entrees met that expectation.

Asheville, North Carolina
“Fabulous evening!!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had last minute tickets to the Peace Center and called Soby's early Saturday morning for an table on the same night for dinner..They took us at 5:30 p.m. with a perfect table.( Plenty of time for an 8:00 p.m. show) !!! 302 is it..Overlooks the busy kitchen and an amazing team of chefs ..The service was Impeccable!..We had a series of small plates Spinach salad with Blue cheese and shaved ham,,Oh My!..The quail was to die for...The Calamari Yummy..Fried Green Tomatoes to perfection and a great bowl of Mussels...We loved this old and reliable place and hope that everyone going to Greenville will have as delightful an evening as we did..P.S. The Sunday brunch there is a Killer!

Columbia SC
“Good dinner but was hoping for "more"”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Have been meaning to try Soby's for years; finally was able to do so recently on a quick visit to Greenville, SC. M.y husband and I enjoyed our meal, but we both felt that it was up to what we'd hoped.

First of all, we were seated promptly for our reservations. We sat in the upstairs area with a view down into the kitchen, which was kind of cool. We were brought biscuits which were a little too garlicky for my taste. (these are apparently a house specialty). We both started with She-crab soup, which was excellent. My husband's entree was the shrimp and grits; mine was the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin -- both of which were recommended as signature items by our server. Both entrees were priced at around $22. I felt both portions were a little small for that price point. The shrimp and grits was good but really, a small portion -- maybe 8 medium shrimp. My husband enjoyed it however. My pork tenderloin was delicious, but it was served with a habenero butter sauce, which I was assured was not spicy "at all" -- but I found that it was an odd pairing with the pork and kind of overwhelmed the flavor. I also subbed the vegetable for brown-butter brussel sprouts, but the sprouts were barely cooked and I could hardly bite into them. Although our servings were smallish, we were satisfied enough that we skipped dessert (although the ones we saw looked pretty delish!)

Soby's has a great atmosphere and perhaps we'd have liked other entrees a little better. I'd try it again and maybe order differently.

Durham, North Carolina
“Not up to the hype and costly, too.”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is clearly a popular place, but is more about the buzz than the food. I dined here with a group and no one raved about the food. My mountain trout was a fine piece of fish but utterly tasteless in a haphazard presentation. Only the wine list stood out. Wouldn't return, given the prices and the quality.

Visited February 2014
Washington
“Better Brunches - elsewhere”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

After dining at Soby's in the evening, we thought the Brunch would be a good bet. Not so much. Buffet style, but not refreshed enough. Many of the dishes were cold and the chicken was dry. The best bet is to get an omelet and some excellent ham, but it is less expensive to have an omelet and ham somewhere else that has the other "stuff" better prepared and maintain. Sorry state!