“Excellent, Consistent Meals with Southern Charm”
Review of Soby's

Soby's
Reserve with OpenTable
Soby's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 930 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Court St.
Description: Soby's New South Cuisine is a blend of contemporary cuisine infused with traditional southern ingredients. The restaurant opened in 1997 and is housed in the warm environment of a renovated, century-old building and has a mezzanine level that can accommodate large parties ordering a la carte. Starting with fresh, seasonal ingredients, our chefs transform Southern favorites into something comfortable and fresh. The wine list is a consistent winner of Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast awards. Signature dishes include Barbecue Shrimp and Grits, Fried Green Tomatoes with Jalapeno Pimento Cheese, and Crab Cakes Remoulade.
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My wife and I love this restaurant. The food is always the same, which is really good. Sometimes will get a little loud downstairs, so we always opt to eat upstairs and overlook the kitchen. Definitely a great place for a romantic evening with your husband or wife.

There are newer reviews for Soby's

Reviewed September 10, 2011

Went there for business dinner while staying at downtown. Great food! We had a drink in the bar area, then moved to the dinning area. I actually enjoyed the bar area better than the main dinning room.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Two colleagues and I came here based on recommendations. We drove downtown, paid for parking nearby, and walked less than a block to get to Soby's. There were hordes of other people streaming in just as we were, and we were told we had a 1-hour wait. We had wine at the bar, and within 20 minutes we had a prime outdoor table.

It was Greenville's equivalent of "restaurant week", so we all opted for the "3 for $30 menu". I had an iceburg salad, red snapper, and banana cream pie for dessert. All were excellent including the bottle of pinot noir we had. Service was good, nothing special. One plus was that they let us linger at the table for three hours.

I would recommend this place if you are coming downtown, but keep in mind that it isn't cheap.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

The food is good but the service was some of the worst in town. I had reservations for two on a Friday night at 8:00pm. Upon arrival the table wasn't ready. Waiting five to ten minutes wouldn't have been much of an issue but it was almost 8:35 when we were finally seated. After being seated the waiter brought us water several minutes later. We ordered a bottle of win at that time. When the wine was delivered to the table, we asked for a ice bucket to keep it cool. The ice bucket didn't come until after 25 minutes of sitting there without our order being taken or being asked if we needed anything.

I have been on the Table 301 (the restaurant group Soby's is a part of) email list for a long time so I responded to a survey I received via email detailing my poor experience. I received no response at all. Not even a courtesy reply by email even though I specifically requested contact from a representative. I can handle the issues we experienced but to not even get a reply at all is unacceptable.

2  Thank Chris_in_the_864
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Starters were outstanding (Fried Green Tomatoes and She Crab Soup). My Wahoo special was a little over cooked even after I asked it to be medium.