“Outstanding meals.......”

Chuys
Ranked #66 of 958 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We rarely eat at chain type tex-mex places. We have our nearby go-to Mexican place, owned and ran by a local Mexican family who live in our subdivision. We had been wanting to give Chuys a try since hearing from folks at work that it was a decent restaurant.

On a recent Friday night we were kidless having dropped the 3 of them off with various family and friends so we decided to give it a try. For a party of 2, around 7:30PM on a Friday night it was a 15 minute wait. We looked over the menu while waiting. One of the things that I liked about the menu is that it was not a 'book'. It was fairly concise. Not a hundred different choices that are pretty much the same thing.

We were greeted promptly after being seated. Drink orders were taken and salsa and nice warm chips were brought to the table. Our server answered all my wife's questions and took our orders. At one point, she stopped and asked if we would like some of their jalapeno type salsa (basically a ranch type dressing with a nice little bounce to it) and, of course, we said yes.
It was very good. The regular salsa had a nice little delayed kick to it.....very good.

I ordered the Elvis fried chicken w/rice and beans. It was OUTSTANDING. The chicken was so tender and delicious. The green chili sauce on the top was wonderful. Wife ordered an appetizer for her meal. Some type of chicken quesadias (sp) that came with sour cream, guac, lettuce, etc. She loved them. Said that the chicken has a delicious seasoned taste.

Server was great about refills on the drinks, salsa and chips. We loved this place. Highly recommend it.

1  Thank abcjjl

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

This is the first place in Greenville that has true blue Tex Mex food. The theme inside is a mix of 50-60's with a touch of Tejano culture. The Shiner bock
Marinated fajitas are the best I've ever had. Their enchilada
Offers include cheese chicken and beef. All are excellent with you having a choice of sauce flavor, type, and heat index.
Very mild to red red hot. charro
beans are good but spicy.refried are good and mild.
They also offer regular Spanish rice(no spice) and green chile rice which is spicy hot.they have a really nice bar area with a free nacho bar for making your own
Appetizer. The Elvis special is a good try for first timers.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great atmosphere, incredible food and value. Menu has a variety of items to please a crowd. Happy hour. Nice outdoor patio seating to enjoy the beautiful fall temperatures. We are now repeat visitors.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have been to Chuys twice now. Once for lunch and once for dinner. It is the same menu. Most items are $8-$10, so not a cheap Mexican restaurant, BUT everything seems fresh- salsa, tortillas made in station in front of you.

I like the free add-on sauces they offer. It makes an ordinary dish a lot more exciting. The nacho bar in the bar area is complimentary for happy hour.

I enjoyed a chicken burrito and then a chicken lite combo my second visit. The "lite" combo has a 12" taco and a chalupa. I brought half home. My husband had an Elvis special that had 3 types of enchiladas all with different sauces, plus a couple other items like a taco and queso. He brought half home.

Beer was cold. My margarita was good. It tasted fresh, not like a pre-mixed one.

The atmosphere is a cross between tropical, Mexican, and Elvis kitchy. Fun and funky. It is loud in the main room though. They have outdoor seating which we appreciate in the fall.

It was so busy that service was slow, but our waitress kept us up to date and did fine. Fortunately we were not in a hurry either visit. I think they will work the bugs out as they are open longer.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We were told that we could enjoy their free nacho bar, but everything was empty at the bar but salsa. We had fajitas which were average. Our food arrived at our table no more than 5 mins after ordering which makes me wonder how it was cooked so quickly? I like Papas and Beer better.