“Good steakhouse for downtown”
Review of Rare Steakhouse - CLOSED

Rare Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is a good place prior to the Peace Center shows or just to enjoy the downtown of Greenville. It is located in the plaza of the One Building and easily accessible from the Richardson St or McBee garages. We had drinks and the cheese tray for appetizers and this was awesome. All entrees and sides are al a carte. Very nice special occasion restaurant.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Solid choice in Greenville. Just slightly off the main path. Food was good and staff was very friendly and outgoing. Naturally, a bit pricey but expected at that location.
Happily recommend.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Entered Rare early in evening. The atmosphere was definitely a bar with a restaurant beside. People in bar were too loud that we could not hear each other at the table. The place is very sterile with no ambiance whatsoever. The wait staff was exceptional. I cannot remember her name but she definitely is an asset to this place. The food was very good but still not on par with Rick Erwins or Chophouse 47. For the money that this meal cost, I would definitely not return. Just not good enough for my standards. Greenville has grown beyond mediocure and that is what I felt about Rare.

1  Thank Jo A
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

This is a fantastic spot! I came in thinking it would be mediocre given all of the reviews. Not mediocre at all! We came on a Thursday night and were soooo pleased. We got half off a bottle of wine (a great deal), we ordered a mixed salad and a Caesar salad. The Caesar salad was better but the mixed salad was very well presented. We ordered the porterhouse steak for two. We ordered it medium bc the waiter told us that they regularly undercook the steaks just in case. It came out medium rare perfection! It was literally the best steak I've had in greenville. I work for a large corporation in sales and n the past year I've had larkins and rick Erwin's numerous times, last week I had Ruth Chris AND the capital grille in Atlanta and this steak was better than all of those. Don't overlook this place :) the bread is great as well!

1  Thank chelseasmith1421
Reviewed March 25, 2014

There were 4 of us dining. My wife and my two teenage kids. We had apps, salads, entree's and deserts. The Caesar salad was good, the french onion soup gratinee was burned on top. My Salmon was exceptional. My Son's steak was cooked rare, but was ordered Medium. My daughter's steak was ordered Med, but was cooked Mid-Rare. My wife's Lamb was...OK... not "the best she ever had" as described by our server. Our drinks (2 different Martini's from the drink menu) were... OK. Both were very.. shall we say... PINK, but did not need to be. One was what should have been a French Martini (ok, this one may be pink) but was titled something weird (can't remember). The second one was really a cucumber martini (this one should definitely NOT be pink) and was much better than the first one. I had the Banana's Foster (served on fire but not prepared table side as it should be). It was...OK, but way too much liquor made it rather bitter.