“Good but not great for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rare Steakhouse - CLOSED

Rare Steakhouse
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Townville,SC
“Good but not great for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We went there on a Saturday night , early in the evening, and we were the only table in there for the first hour and a half. Our server was great and was very knowledgeable. We order appetizers and wine and were quite pleased . The entrée of chops, steaks and pasta was pricey but good. Although the meal was good , it is quite pricey for the quality. Unless you don't mind shelling out a couple of hundred bucks for four people having dinner out,

• Visited August 2013

Florence, South Carolina
“Watch out for the fresh corn!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was in Greenville in July for a meeting and had numerous choices in the downtown area to enjoy a Saturday evening meal. My wife and I had earlier enjoyed a sumptuous meal at Rick Erwin's Grille and I was willing to try Rare which advertised itself as having the "finest Steaks and Chops in Greenville." The location is great and the waiter was attentive. The bread served was probably the best part of the meal. My steak was very tender, however, when I ordered the "fresh creamed corn" I was presented a dish that I could smell from the onset had to have come straight out of a can. I routinely cook fresh corn off of the cob in the summer time and knew instantly that this was not "fresh" as advertised. I called attention this to the attention of the waiter and he graciously took it back and substituted the scalloped potatoes which were very good. When he brought the substitute vegetable he admitted that this was the "single" item on the entire menu that was not fresh and that he had mentioned that to the chef a time or two in the past. If you have only one night to find a great steakhouse in Greenville then this is not it.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Ace Service/zero atmosphere in a steakhouse”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Rare is an interesting and difficult restaurant to rate. The service was as good as any I've had in a Greenville restaurant--really pleasant and professional. The bread that started the meal was excellent and so was the spicy oil that accompanied it. My daughter's appetizer--crab-stuffed mushrooms was scrumptious. BUT the place itself has minus ambiance (unless you really like pressed tin ceilings--there were a couple of dying plants) no art, no view,, nothing--unless you count the construction going on across the way. The location should be excellent, and may be so in the future, but right now you went your way around fenced off areas with no directional signs. My husband like his main course--shrimp and risotto a lot; mine, a petite fillet wrapped in bacon with blue cheese and a reduction of some sort was just too fru-fru--I probably should have ordered the fillet plain. But we were somewhat taken aback by the entirely ala carte menu; not even a sprig of parsley accompanied the meat, which ranged in price from $26 to 40 something. The sides--all $6--sounded pretty good. There are some restaurants, especially those that are obviously dress up and have a view or a pleasant interior (Devereaux comes to mind) that can get away with this pricing; Rare can't.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Great food and great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I decided to stop in this new steakhouse last night to have a few appetizers and some drinks. I easily made reservations online and we were seated immediately upon arrival. The restaurant is new and located beside an area where they are doing some pretty major construction, but the interior is very nice.

We were greeted by our server (who was very nice and especially knowledgeable about wine) and we ordered our drinks. When he came to take our order we told him we were just going to share a few appetizers and he was quick to recommend which ones he thought were the best. We had the crab stuffed mushrooms (6 come in the app), the mussels in a tomato based broth, and the fried green tomatoes (3 large tomato slices and slaw). All of the apps were delicious, but the crab stuffed mushrooms took the cake.

To finish off the meal, we had a slice of their cheesecake and let me tell you...that was one of the best tasting pieces of cheesecake that I've ever had. Definitely, a must have.

We will be returning soon to try the steaks and apparently, the blackened pork chops are to die for (according to our server). Love this place!

Greenville, South Carolina
“Will be good when the service equals the food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Food was awesome, the location is very good and will be better once next door construction is finished. The Ahi appetizer is excellent as was the shrimp and grits. My wife go a burger and duck fat fried french fries...incredible. Lunch should not take 1 1/2 hours and we were routinely ignored.....could beccome a gem but needs a lot of work on the service.