“Ace Service/zero atmosphere in a steakhouse”
Review of Rare Steakhouse - CLOSED

Rare Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Greenville, South Carolina
“Ace Service/zero atmosphere in a steakhouse”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Rare is an interesting and difficult restaurant to rate. The service was as good as any I've had in a Greenville restaurant--really pleasant and professional. The bread that started the meal was excellent and so was the spicy oil that accompanied it. My daughter's appetizer--crab-stuffed mushrooms was scrumptious. BUT the place itself has minus ambiance (unless you really like pressed tin ceilings--there were a couple of dying plants) no art, no view,, nothing--unless you count the construction going on across the way. The location should be excellent, and may be so in the future, but right now you went your way around fenced off areas with no directional signs. My husband like his main course--shrimp and risotto a lot; mine, a petite fillet wrapped in bacon with blue cheese and a reduction of some sort was just too fru-fru--I probably should have ordered the fillet plain. But we were somewhat taken aback by the entirely ala carte menu; not even a sprig of parsley accompanied the meat, which ranged in price from $26 to 40 something. The sides--all $6--sounded pretty good. There are some restaurants, especially those that are obviously dress up and have a view or a pleasant interior (Devereaux comes to mind) that can get away with this pricing; Rare can't.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Great food and great service!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I decided to stop in this new steakhouse last night to have a few appetizers and some drinks. I easily made reservations online and we were seated immediately upon arrival. The restaurant is new and located beside an area where they are doing some pretty major construction, but the interior is very nice.

We were greeted by our server (who was very nice and especially knowledgeable about wine) and we ordered our drinks. When he came to take our order we told him we were just going to share a few appetizers and he was quick to recommend which ones he thought were the best. We had the crab stuffed mushrooms (6 come in the app), the mussels in a tomato based broth, and the fried green tomatoes (3 large tomato slices and slaw). All of the apps were delicious, but the crab stuffed mushrooms took the cake.

To finish off the meal, we had a slice of their cheesecake and let me tell you...that was one of the best tasting pieces of cheesecake that I've ever had. Definitely, a must have.

We will be returning soon to try the steaks and apparently, the blackened pork chops are to die for (according to our server). Love this place!

Greenville, South Carolina
“Will be good when the service equals the food”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Food was awesome, the location is very good and will be better once next door construction is finished. The Ahi appetizer is excellent as was the shrimp and grits. My wife go a burger and duck fat fried french fries...incredible. Lunch should not take 1 1/2 hours and we were routinely ignored.....could beccome a gem but needs a lot of work on the service.

Greer
“Not just a great place for steak”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I took an out of town guest from Palm Beach County, FL to Sunday brunch at one of Greenville's newest locally-owned dining destinations. The vibe is elegant but casual, offers an interesting menu, friendly service and perfectly prepared food. Great chefs are measured by their ability to properly cook an egg and the chef at Rare Steakhouse executed poached and scrambled eggs to perfection. We both had small 4oz filets that were also perfectly cooked as ordered and so tender that the offered steak knife was left on the table. Creamy cheesy grits, duck fat fries and a ripe, fresh fruit salad complemented the steak and eggs to perfection. I'm going back soon for dinner...be sure to ask for Judi's section if you dine on Friday, Saturday evening or for Sunday Brunch for an outstanding professional dedicated to delivering the best dining experience possible.

1 Thank Robin A
Greenville, SC
“Another good choice for Greenville dining”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went on weekend night, with a reservation, and got a small table in the middle. I could detect the scent of bleach near the door, but it wasn't bad at our seats. The atmosphere is "sparse contemporary" with not much to look at (I expected more), but not unpleasant. Window seats might be nice once the outdoor construction work is finished. IMO the bathroom was not up to par in decor or cleanliness. Our server was prompt and did a good job until we were finished eating, at which point he and all busboys disappeared for quite some time. The price was a bit high, but the food was very good. The warm bread came with a pepper oil that was nice and spicy. We had the stuffed mushrooms (oily but tasty), field salads (excellent), the seafood saute (excellent as previously reviewed), grilled veggies (good) and steamed asparagus (good). Many of the patrons seemed to be enjoying their steaks and potatoes. As you can tell, my rating is more influenced by the food than the decor and price.