“Good Burger, Good Location, nice ambiance”
Review of Grill Marks

Grill Marks
Ranked #13 of 907 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Casual, sophisticated dining atmosphere. Great music and an open air feel.
Greenville, South Carolina
“Good Burger, Good Location, nice ambiance”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've been to Marks (Burgers, Shakes, Bar) a couple of times now, but I thought I'd comment on my lunch there yesterday. I was on my way to see Anything Goes at the Peace Center, and Mark's is about as close a watering hole to the center along Main Street (there are one or two a tad closer off Main, and there's a place in the Peace Center proper). It's located on the site of an old hot dog place and has upped the scale considerably. It's the best burger I've eaten in Greenville. I had mine medium rare, and they served it exactly as I wanted it. But it held together better than most I've had cooked so lightly. I ordered a small order of skinny fries - I'm glad they have two sizes, as most places just dump fries on the plate. The small serving was just right for me. and I quaffed a bloody mary - what else on a Sunday morning? That too was small, a tad too small in my opinion, and with much too busy a "crust" around the rim of the glass. I require NO crust on a bloody mary, but it would have been nice to have had a little (or even a lot) of horseradish. Of course everyone has her/his own idea of the perfect bloody mary, this just wasn't mine - but not bad!

I sat at the bar, which got busier through the meal, and though the bartender was solicitous in taking the order, but he didn't check with me on how it was until I was three-quarters through the burger (and I'm not a fast eater). Had he checked earlier I'd have asked for the swiss cheese I ordered atop it. I did ask to make sure I was not charged for it, and once again he said he'd be sure to not charge me the extra (a pittance, but the point at a restaurant is to get what you ordered, right?).

I like the layout of the place, as they have found a way to keep it open to the street and to keep the large-ish patio area open during inclement weather by roofing it and adding heat lights above, as well as a nice fireplace on one side of it. There is a "bar" with about 8 stools right at the edge of the sidewalk, but I chose the part of the bar that parallels that just described where the inside of the restaurant begins. That bar is L-shaped, the shorter portion of the L where I was seated, back to the street, though I easily adjusted my stool so that I could glimpse the passersby when I liked. The long part of the L runs a good bit of the interior of the restaurant, and to the right of that are several tables, a few more in the back of the restaurant. The bar is welcoming (not all are, sadly) and there is a skylight of sorts in the tall ceiling. Nice ambiance, as noted in the title.

The salads, from what I read on the menu, seem a bit too tarted up for my taste, and many of the specialty burgers are waaay over the tip with ingredients, but that's true of many American restaurants. There are "un-burgers" as well, including a salmon burger and a chicken sandwich. The selection is not bad at all. The most interesting thing about the place is the shakes, many of which offer far more than milk, if you receive my meaning. But if you bring a wee one (which I did on an earlier visit) they do a good old chocolate shake which any kid would love.

There are all sorts of restaurants on downtown Main Street in Greenville, and this is one of the nicer ones - have a visit! But DO check for your swiss cheese!

• Visited November 2013

Columbia, South Carolina
“Couldn't resist the menu”
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by for a quick happy hour drink. Not only did the bartender make one of the best margaritas I've ever had but I was quickly convinced to try something on their eclectic menu. We weren't very hungry so we opted to try their fries- white truffle and Parmesan, sweet potato, and ones with pimento and blue cheese. Sooooo great. Highly recommend to anyone in the dt area.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Awesome Burgers and Food”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I highly recommend you to go and try this Resturant ! They have incredible burgers! You can build your own and they have specialty burgers that take your taste buds to places they never have been! Awesome fries and dips and delicious shakes and desserts! You don't want to miss coming here whether you live here or visit! GO TRY IT YOU WON'T regret it! The staff is so friendly and professional ! EnJOY!!!!!!

Flat Rock, North Carolina
“Great Burgers”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We were in Greenville for the day and it was time to eat. We have eat at Larkins so we decides to try Grill Marks, smart move on our part. The service was wonderful and our server Cameron was right on the money. Food was very tasty and plentiful.
Will make Marks our lunch stop whenever we are in Greenville.

• Visited November 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very good big juicy burger”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by this burger place because we saw people sitting on the sidewalk. We sat outside on the sidewalk. It was such a beautiful day. My burger was served a little too pink so they took it back and brought a whole new one. The server was so nice and sweet. The kept apologizing about the burger. They said they like to get it right the first time. They also sell shakes and have a full bar.