“Great burgers and food - poor, inattentive and spotty service”
Review of Grill Marks

Grill Marks
Ranked #18 of 948 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Casual, sophisticated dining atmosphere. Great music and an open air feel.
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Went here on a Friday night. Had heard great things and had always seen a crowd when walking by so we decided to try it.

Downtown was busy as it usually is. We were seated right away, outside on their patio. The server showed up relatively quickly, which was nice. She took our drink order. When she returned, she had brought my Chimay in a bottle but without a glass. If it was a Bud light, not a problem, but when I pay 7 bucks for a beer, I want it in a glass. I eventually got the glass but it took another five minutes.

When we ordered our burgers and sides, we had asked for mayo and ranch dressing. We eventually got the mayo (maybe another 10 minutes), but never got the ranch. I think two other people had come by, including a trainee and another server and had asked us if we needed anything. We told them both "ranch". No luck.

When the haystack onions and fries were delivered, they come in a little basket that looks like the type you'd use to cook them in a deep fryer. Not a problem until you take the basket and put it in the middle of the table for all to share - the oil starts to drip through the table onto the legs of those sitting (since it was a slatted table, as you would find outside) - a bit of a mess - so I asked for some napkins. We never got them. A manager came by to ask how things were. I told him we needed some napkins. But when we left half an hour later, without napkins, he was still flitting around asking people how things were. Why bother if you aren't going to do anything?

Would be a great place if it was self serve at a reduced rate. I might go back, but at a less busy time like Sunday night.

These may seem nitpicky things but there are so many choices. And this place is a bit pricey for a burger joint. Lets face it, these are burgers. I know it is owned or operated by the Larkins crew, so they should know something about service. Please look into this. It's really a shame that such good food gets lost in such bad service.

KyleGM, General Manager at Grill Marks, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

I first want to apologize for the visit that you had with us on Friday night, it is not the norm. I have addressed all of the above statements and have used them as coaching moments for my staff, as we are always looking to improve an grow. I am glad that you enjoyed the burgers and I am looking forward to you returning for a better experience. Thanks again for your feedback, it does not fall on deaf ears.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Took the kids out for a family day and decided to indulge them (and us) for lunch. A savy barman came over to take our drinks orders right away, even though he was not our server, noting that a large party had just sat down next to us and wanting to get us in before them given that we had 2 small children. Impressed, we ordered the salty caramel shake - which I thought was delicious! Kids meal came out first. Very basic slider with fries. No problem. ....But 20 minutes later, kids were long done with the meal and ready to leave and we still didn't have our food. (The large party had also already finished and left!). The manager noticed me pacing back and forth with my youngest, hoping that she might drift to sleep and give me a second chance to eat, but no luck. They chased up our order and it came shortly after. Burger was tasty, but I was really rushing by the time it arrived, so I can't comment too much. Sweet potato fries were too "out there" for my liking. Would have preferred more basic sweet potato fries with a chipotle mayo or aioli of some sort. Manager was extremely kind and ended up comping our meal, and we left happy. Would return because of the friendly service.

Thank you again for your feedback. I am glad that I was able to help, and your experience finished better than it started. I looked forward to seeing you on your next visit, and thank you again for your response.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

After a long bike ride, my husband and I went to Grill Marks to get a refreshing shake. It was pretty warm out so we were looking forward to something cold. Ordered a peanut butter chocolate shake. I should have sent it back after the first sip. Didn't think it was possible to ever drink a "warm" shake but that is exactly what it was.....WARM. Thick and WARM. The flavor was good but we could not get over how not refreshing it was. I mentioned this to our waitress who said maybe the mixer heated up too much or because the metal cups the shake is made in are not pre-chilled. Like i said, I should have sent back this $5.00 warm glob, but we didn't have time to wait for another one to be made. Otherwise, service was good.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Mark’s left me with the impression that I had never had a real burger in my life until I had theirs. Not an overstatement and I’m in my 60’s – with a history of eating many burgers from my own to everyone else. Maybe it was the combination of the blend of Angus chuck, brisket and short ribs that makes up the meat. Aside from the quality toppings I will describe later, the beef itself has a distinctly different and improved taste over any I can remember. I do have a warning attached to this review however, If you can’t tolerate fat it may not be for you – I have trouble digesting fat and did get a bit of discomfort from my burger at Mike’s but I would do it all over again.
My wife sampled the Café Au Poivre burger. It was delivered looking like a French mademoiselle dressed to the teeth. The ample burger was nestled between the halves of the bun covered in a brandy colored sauce speckled with peppercorns and joined by crimini mushrooms and brie. One look and the man who had just entered the place and sat next to us ordered the same. It was beautiful to look at and my wife still raves about how delicious it was.
I ordered the Firehouse and loved it. As its name implies, there is some fire involved. Burgers are cooked medium unless asked otherwise. I asked for mine to be more medium rare and it was perfectly done so. On top of the burger was a pile of sautéed onions and jalapenos, pepper jack cheese, apple wood smoked bacon and served with chipotle ketchup. Every bite was as delicious as it was sassy and maybe that slight stomach discomfort didn’t only come from fat content. I’d do it again!
We started with an order of fried pickles that were crisp and tart as they are supposed to be and the chipotle ranch dipping sauce was mildly perky. With the burgers I ordered shoestring fries and my wife ordered the steakhouse fries – both were excellent. The burgers are served by themselves and everything else is ala carte – burgers are expensive at the $9. To $10. range but the quality justifies it.
The restaurant itself is café style with sidewalk dining as well as indoor and it is a cozy environment with upscale taste. Excellent selection of draft beers that included the chocolate, coffee flavored porter I used to ease my burger down. Personnel are excellent – our waiter described the food very well beforehand and was pleasant and efficient.
The next time we are in Greensboro I will try Mark’s again because we both loved it.

3  Thank aging_nicely
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Liked food and service. Liked location of Downtown Greenville. Restaurant is easy to find. We will definitely be back especially when we are looking for an outstanding burger....any kind you want.