“Excellent Vietnamese food”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Greenville, South Carolina
“Excellent Vietnamese food”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Mekong is our favorite Asian restaurant in Greenville. Their pho is delicious, their vermicelli dishes are excellent, and their appetizers are yummy. We've probably tried 15 or more items from the menu, visiting around 7 or 8 times in 2013. I want to give them 5 stars, because we definitely recommend the restaurant, but I can only give 4 stars due to some service issues and inconsistencies.

On most visits, the freshly grown herbs are our favorite thing about the dishes, but sometimes they don't give as much, and the quality suffers. One time I didn't get any fresh mint at all, and I really missed it. I've only had one bad dish there-- the duck special on a Sunday. Most of the duck meat was stringy, fatty, and inedible. This was very sad for me, as I love duck, and the duck bun at Mekong is one of my favorite things.

Service varies, sometimes being very friendly and quick, but other times lagging and not as friendly. Water refills aren't always given, and that's something I need when eating spicy food. Also, on a couple of summertime visits, the restaurant was too hot, as if the AC wasn't functioning properly. These issues keep Mekong from being a 5-star restaurant for me, but we still highly recommend eating there. We love it; that's why we're hoping they'll work on some of the service issues!

Visited October 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Amazing Vietnamese food! Hidden gem!”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

They have the best Vietnamese food in Greenville. An authentic restaurant with very simple deco. Good service. We like their steamed duck bun. They grow their own herbs and give those fresh herbs along with Pho. Must visit!

“Amazing food experience ”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

The pho was out of this world. Huge portion never thought I could pig out on tripe broth and noodles like that. My wife got beef rib with rice. Medium spicy according to them, but I wouldn't go much hotter based in the taste I had. We left full and super satisfied. You can really tell then put love into this food. Can't ask for more

Greenville, South Carolina
“Great, fresh food & good service at this local Vietnamese restaurant”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Ever since this little gem opened this great place has quickly become our go-to for Vietnamese food in Greenville. We love Vietnamese food and this restaurant is by far the freshest and has the best service of the restaurants in town. We recently ad the dinner for two for the first time, I wish we had not waited so long. The portions are always good and the service is friendly. The owner is a very gregarious guy. The caramelized catfish is phenomenal. They have a great Duck 'bun' - kinda shaped like a taco. This is also the best place to get a Vietnamese pancake....We have been here a lot and they definitely do some things better than others, but we have never had a bad dish.

• Visited September 2013
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great for lunch !”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have eaten at the Mekong restaurant for the past few years and loved it every time. Everyone that works there has always been nice and helpful. The food is fresh and light. They grow a lot of the herbs and vegetables there, just look around back. Noodle bowls are fantastic ! Try to go with a group so you can try different things. Can't say enough about it, Enjoy!

• Visited August 2013