“Great Meats Shank- Love the Atmosphere”

hans and franz biergarten
Ranked #129 of 939 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: German
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Went with my large dinner party family. I was feeling very meaty this time and got the pork shank. Truly outstanding off the bone melty fatty goodness. Sides were okay and lower the total meal from a 5 to a 4 and that was the general feeling for most people at my table. Everyone loved the meats and the red cabbage. Potato salads, other sides and the appetizers didn't really make anyone too happy, but they did not take away from a very nice meal. Stone walls and interior decor were really nice. Waitress was popping out of her shirt which was a little bit much but in general service was good if not a bit disjointed at times. This place is just a hair away from 5 star, needs to work on some extras but for good German meat it's right up there with some of the bests.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Chicken wasn't good sent back and cook/owner came out and fought with us about it. Terrible experience. Will never recommend or return!!!!

1  Thank Jrennae
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We researched German restaurants to eat dinner at an overnight stay in Greenville and decided on Hans and Franz. The restaurant sits on a hill and has an exterior biergarten with two TVs and several tables. The inside has a cozy atmosphere with German decorations and stone walls. The staff was attentive and friendly and there were no awkward German outfits (from a previous review). We had the Wiener platter and Schniztel dishes which were absolutely delicious. I had the potato salad which arrived cold with a wonderful vinegar taste. I can't believe that this is the first time I've eaten here...there are so many other menu items I want to try! We definitely left stuffed and happy!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

My co-workers and I LOVE this place! The Biergarten is a great place to sit and have a beer or wine from their great selection - add an appetizer of pork sliders or sauerkraut balls, or a large pretzel and you're all set! You can even enjoy the patio in the winter - they've gone all out to tent it in, and blow in heat. Highly recommend this!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

To be honest, we have passed this place numerous times and never stopped to check it out. Well, we took a chance this evening and was pleasantly surprised! We immediately liked the cozy German beer pub type of atmosphere. This is a great place to sit at a table with friends and enjoy a beer or two before ordering dinner. Our waitress was very pleasant; even though she was busy waiting on several other customers, she always came back to check on us.

I ordered off of their winter menu and was not disappointed. Schweine haxen (pork shank) used to be a favorite of mine when we lived in Austria. I'm glad to have found a place that knows how to serve this dish! The meat fell off the bone and was so tender and flavorful. The gravy clinched the deal...I felt like I was back in Austria or Germany. My side dishes of bratkartoffel (fried potatoes) and sauerkraut were also very authentic. My husband ordered wurst with cucumber salad and French fries. He was very pleased with his meal. The French fries were great and he also liked the different sauces to use with the wurst and the fries.

We give a restaurant extra points when the owner stops by to chat. Joerg is very friendly and made us feel welcomed. If you are hunting for a comfortable place for good German food and good beer...Hans and Franz Biergarten is it. (A nice plus is that they had happy hour prices for 4 or 5 German draft beers. At $5.00 for 17 ounces of beer in a large glass stein, well...you can't beat the price!)