“A Pleasant Surprise”

hans and franz biergarten
Ranked #159 of 930 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: German
Reviewed November 19, 2013

To be honest, we have passed this place numerous times and never stopped to check it out. Well, we took a chance this evening and was pleasantly surprised! We immediately liked the cozy German beer pub type of atmosphere. This is a great place to sit at a table with friends and enjoy a beer or two before ordering dinner. Our waitress was very pleasant; even though she was busy waiting on several other customers, she always came back to check on us.

I ordered off of their winter menu and was not disappointed. Schweine haxen (pork shank) used to be a favorite of mine when we lived in Austria. I'm glad to have found a place that knows how to serve this dish! The meat fell off the bone and was so tender and flavorful. The gravy clinched the deal...I felt like I was back in Austria or Germany. My side dishes of bratkartoffel (fried potatoes) and sauerkraut were also very authentic. My husband ordered wurst with cucumber salad and French fries. He was very pleased with his meal. The French fries were great and he also liked the different sauces to use with the wurst and the fries.

We give a restaurant extra points when the owner stops by to chat. Joerg is very friendly and made us feel welcomed. If you are hunting for a comfortable place for good German food and good beer...Hans and Franz Biergarten is it. (A nice plus is that they had happy hour prices for 4 or 5 German draft beers. At $5.00 for 17 ounces of beer in a large glass stein, well...you can't beat the price!)

There are newer reviews for hans and franz biergarten

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This place used to be great, but something has changed and I guess it is probably the owners??? We always like to sit out on the patio and the place still gets very busy during the warmer weather, but it seems like they are focusing less on the German food and beer, and more on international dishes and drinks. More recently they have got the staff dressing in awful [supposed to look like] German outfits. They either hate them or they are just not happy at work.

Its a shame as they always used to be nice people with above average food, but not so much these days.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

If you like German beer and food with a German twist then this is a great place to visit. We have had several visits and enjoyed the music and atmosphere.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

They have many choices on the menu. Food was very good. Everyone in my party enjoyed the food. Good beer selection on tap and bottles. German beer of course. Nicely decorated in a historical building. Parking is limited. A full parking lot doesn't mean there isn't room for you inside.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This place just didn't do it for me. It has a great outside seating area but as far as food goes it's not that special.