“Not Impressed!”

Cuisines: German
Upstate SC
“Not Impressed!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have wanted to try this restaurant for years. Sorry to say we won't return. They opened at 5 on Friday. We arrived at 5:10. We were greeted in a friendly manner and seated immediately. The restaurant is small and quaint with appropriate German decor. We purchased 2 dinners & 2 desserts from livingsocial.com so they had a section in their menu for that deal. We could choose from 3 entrees, they only offer 4 on the regular menu, and several desserts (about 6). We ordered the Jaeger schnitzel & sauerbraten. Our food arrived less than 5 minutes after ordering. Obviously premade and luke warm. Dinner rolls arrived after entrees and they were warm and delicious. My sauerbraten was 2 small strips of leather tough beef about 1/8 inch thin and about 4 ounces total covered in a red wine gravy. Flavor was just ok barely warm and a little on the sour side. The red cabbage was pickled and cold like coleslaw. Never had it so don't know if it was supposed to be cold. The spaetzle looked like milk curds. Small crumbled up pieces and covered in wine sauce again. tasted like it had been sitting in a bucket fermenting. Just tasted sour and rotten. Never having this before I gave it 3 different tries. Each time I thought I would have to spit it out. My wife's Jaeger schnitzel also was barely warm. Very thin and small piece of veal, not hanging off plate, with mushroom gravy, cabbage, and spaetzle with same mushroom gravy. Her spaetzle was actually edible maybe because of mushroom gravy. We ordered apricot torte and cream filled pastry for dessert. My wife's pastry came but but not my torte. They brought wrong dessert. We shared the pastry which was very flaky and the Bavarian cream was delicious. My torte cam 10 minutes later and I over heard it was the last one. really? That early in the evening? The torte tasted like the last one too. A little on the dry side. We paid $22 for the living social deal and that's about all we would have wanted to pay. The entrees were listed on the menu for $16.50, $17.50, and $4.95 for each dessert. Thank god we didn't pay those prices! Actually after the first couples of bites when our entrees arrived I just wanted to get up and leave. But, since we had the living social deal and hadn't made it to the dessert yet I thought I would see it through to the end. The best part of the dinning experience was the cream filled pastry, friendly staff, and I almost forgot the gentleman who entertained us with accordion music dressed in German attire. He was great! Sorry to say we were disappointed and won't return again.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank R D

Greenville, South Carolina
“Great since reopening”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Great food, good service, very clean. Worth a second look.

1 Thank TravelingBikerdoc
Greenville, South Carolina
“A Quick Visit to Germany, or The Best German Food in Greenville”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We used to enjoy Haus Edelweiss a few years ago and missed it when it closed. We were excited to visit the restaurant again now that it is open under new ownership. The owners may be new, but the recipes are tried and true. The space is small and intimate. The food was tasty and delicious. The food we had tasted just like what we had on our trip to Germany.

• Visited September 2011