“Wonderful food in Coal Fired Bistro”
Review of Coal Fired Bistro - CLOSED

Coal Fired Bistro
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 14
Description: Coal Fired Bistro is committed to providing fresh, local ingredients that are grown naturally and ecologically sound. We believe in the traditional Italian way of cooking, where one lets the flavor of the seasons shine through by simplicity of recipes but perfection in technique.
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Excellent quality for calamari and meat (Filet Mignon). A wonderful change form the average chain restaurant in Greenville.
Wine choice is wonderful too.

Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

John_Cambridge2014, thank you for joining us! I'm thrilled to hear we offered you a nice change of pace and an exceptional meal. I hope you'll be back soon to explore more of our menu and wine list!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

The quality of the dishes has slowly deteriorated in the last year or two. Rumors have it that the chef and some waiters left and moved to a new restaurant (which shall not be named here). Then, a friend said a new chef was making a difference so we tried it last night. I had a Cesar salad and a pasta dish ala Bolonese. My wife had grouper. The salad was similar to one I had a Ruby Tuesday...small shards of lettuce (I think it might have been romaine but not sure. The presentation was so-so. The dressing was acceptable but not remarkable. The pasta was heavily salted. My wife's grouper was salty as well. We dined with a friend who is a restauranteur in town and he said many restaurants salt up their food to encourage drinking. Whatever the reason, the food was SALTY. The waitress was friendly but there seems to be less "class" about the waiting staff as well. The bar off the dining room was noisy. We are heartsick. There are so few very good restaurants in Greenville and another one has just bitten the dust.

Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

565NYMan565, it's disappointing to hear you didn't enjoy your meal with us. Chef Gerard Cribbin joined our staff late last year and unveiled a new menu that's received many rave reviews from our other guests and several publications. We're sorry that the new menu did not suit your tastes, however. Feedback is always welcome, though, and we'll take your comments to heart.

Please don't hesitate to reach out directly if you have any questions or concerns.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I love this place. They have the best wine selection and 1/2 price wines selection daily during the week. I call it my wine tasting experience. Everything is made from scratch and taste divine. I go here every chance I get.

Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

petite0107, it's always a pleasure to welcome you! Thank you for sharing some kind words about us on TripAdvisor and for making every effort to join us often. Whenever you're craving another wine tasting, we hope you'll stop by!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

My friend and I visited Coal Fired for a taste of their menu offerings. We were taken with the elegant atmosphere. Red roses on each table pop against the white table clothes and dark walls - very romantic! Wine drinkers will be impressed with their selection of offerings by the glass or bottle, and if you're up for a tasting adventure, grab a card from the bar and take advantage of the Enomatic machines that dispense a wide selection of reds and whites by the ounce. The dinner portions at Coal Fired are tremendous! We tried small bites of Linguine Cardinale (with rose lobster sauce and spinach), Scallops in sherry cream sauce with mushroom risotto, and the Veal Saltimbocca. They were all phenomenal dishes, cooked to perfection and packed with flavor. Their light and fluffy tiramisu and pistachio cheesecake shouldn't be missed. If you're looking for an attentive, delicious and blissful dining experience, make your reservations now!

1  Thank GapCreekGourmet
Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

dnslive, you certainly came to the right place for elegance! Thank you for joining us and exploring all we have to offer; it's clear you and your friend had a very enjoyable evening, and I'm happy to hear it. Whether you're enjoying a quiet romantic evening or celebrating a special occasion, we're the place to dine. I hope you'll keep us in mind for the next time you're dining out! We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We were here for a nursing society meeting. They really went all out. We had an amazing antipasto! And our meal was delicious. The service was a bit slower, but that is sometimes to be expected with large parties (I believe we had almost 50) and I think they had another large group that same night. It was worth the wait!

Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Going all out is what we do best, Stephanie. Thank you and your group for dining with us! It was a pleasure to host you all. It's true that serving a larger group may cause some delays, but I hope it wasn't too much of an issue for you. It sounds like everything else was perfect, and I couldn't be happier to hear it. We'd love to welcome you again soon.