“Upscale restaurant in surprising place”
Review of Coal Fired Bistro - CLOSED

Coal Fired Bistro
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 14
Description: Coal Fired Bistro is committed to providing fresh, local ingredients that are grown naturally and ecologically sound. We believe in the traditional Italian way of cooking, where one lets the flavor of the seasons shine through by simplicity of recipes but perfection in technique.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We have passed by this restaurant hundreds of time since we have moved to the area this summer and always said we needed to try it. This weekend we headed there to just have a drink and some appetizers. They have a very good wine selection by the glass and happy hour on Saturday was until 7 pm…..all wines by the glass were half off. We had the calamari, meatballs and carpaccio appetizers and they were all very good…..especially the carpaccio. Service was excellent and quick. They had a small jazz band playing which was nice and not to loud. The bar area has a few TVs so it is a good place to watch some sports and have a nice meal. The dining area looked beautiful and would be a good place to bring clients instead of going downtown. The menu includes pasta, fish, veal, chicken and steaks so there is a good variety of meals to pick from. I am excited to have finally visited this restaurant and look forward to having many more meals there. One last note, reservations are a good idea if you want to eat in the dining room. Some people at the bar wanted to get a table and the restaurant was fully booked. You can eat a full meal at the bar.

Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Monica041, it was our pleasure to welcome you. Thanks for making a point to stop in and see what we're all about! You picked a great time to join us and take advantage of our happy hour wine special and enjoy some live jazz too. We do our best to ensure our bar patrons get the same excellent service, but we'd love to hear what you think of our dining room. Join us again soon, and let us know what you think!

All the best,

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have used this restaurant many times in the last three years, but, my last visit was a very bad experience. I have noticed that the chef and menu has changed a lot over the last year and some of my favorites have been taken off the menu, like the Sicilian squid appetizer, and other items. We were told that the chef changed, new menu, etc. But on this last visit my wife and I ordered at the bar, as we usually do, and we were very disappointed. The cheese board was "skimpier" than before, but not the price $18.00 which is way out of line for what you get. Seems like they are cutting down on the portions. The Scallops were good, but again for $32, way overpriced. But the most appalling on this visit was the meatball appetizer that I ordered. I had it before, and loved it. But this time, they just forgot to cook the meatballs. Yes, they served raw ground meat to me. See picture attached. What made matters worse, after I nicely told the bartender that the dish was not edible, the GM came out and tried to tell me "we probe all our meat and it was cooked to proper temperature, bla bla bla." That incensed me. I told him to bring out the dish and look at the meat since I had cut two of the three meatballs in half and they were clearly raw. He said "we disposed of the meatballs". Well a picture is worth 1000 words. You can be the judge of cooked vs. raw. Then he came out again, after I told him to stop talking to me, and gave me the owners card. I asked him what is this for? He said the owner wanted me to call him. So I think, what am I his servant? The waitress tried to comp my entire bill, and I refused. Just asked them to take the meatball app off the bill, which I paid and left. I planned on never darkening their door again. I have never seen a great restaurant turn so very bad like this one.

Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

nonnino, change is never easy, but it's often a good thing. I'm sorry to hear that our new menu no longer includes some of your favorite dishes. Our new chef has put together a delicious collection of flavorful plates that I know you'll enjoy, though. It's very unfortunate that your first experience with our menu was disappointing; as we mentioned in the restaurant, our meat is carefully checked and cooked to temperature. That said, we understand that everyone's tastes are different which is why we were happy to remove them from your bill. I want to apologize for disappointing you on your last visit, especially since you've been dining with us for a few years now. We're still the same place you know and love, and I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to make things right.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife and I decided to go out on a Tuesday evening to celebrate a recent victory in our home construction project. I picked Coal Fired Bistro to try something different and I am so glad I gave it a shot. The food was absolutely wonderful and the service was superior. I cannot say enough great things about this place. Kudos to Chef Gerrard and the wait staff.

Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

troutbum13, I couldn't love this review anymore if I tried. Thank you for taking the opportunity to come celebrate one of life's little victories with us! It's wonderful to hear you enjoyed not just your top notch meal but also our superb service. I'll make sure to pass along your compliments to Chef Gerrard and the rest of our team. I hope you and your wife will be joining us again soon!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is a real treat to find and worth the journey. They often have live music (background) and fresh pasta is excellent as well as the extensive wine list - looking forward to the 're-launch' of their Wine Tasting events.. Highly recommended for Couples / Business/ I wouldn't really think kids would enjoy it as much as parents.

Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

chrisleighbrowne, cheers for sharing such a wonderful recommendation on TripAdvisor! We try to show our guests a good time beyond just the food and drink, so it's great to hear the live music and tasting events have really added to your enjoyment. We intend to have plenty more of both so join us again soon!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Coal Fired Bistro is one of our favorite places to eat. The food is great - we especially enjoy the fish dishes. Wine list is extensive and we've never had a wine there that we didn't like. But, by far, the best part of Coal Fired is the excellent service and the friendly staff. We are lucky to have this restaurant in our "neighborhood"!

Rushton S, Manager at Coal Fired Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

JJS240, thank you for the glowing recommendation! It's always a pleasure to hear we're someone's "favorite" restaurant. We appreciate the kudos on our fish and wine list, and the kind words for our superb staff won't go unnoticed. Another great meal is waiting for you, so please join us again soon.

All the best,