“Great Service - Terrible Food”
Review of Coal Fired Bistro - CLOSED

Coal Fired Bistro
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 14
Description: Coal Fired Bistro is committed to providing fresh, local ingredients that are grown naturally and ecologically sound. We believe in the traditional Italian way of cooking, where one lets the flavor of the seasons shine through by simplicity of recipes but perfection in technique.
Campobello, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Service - Terrible Food”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I have eaten at Coal Fire for 3 years and sadly, since the new management and 2 attempts to get a decent meal, we will not be returning. Food quality has deteriorated as well as quantities. My pork chop had no flavor at all and was full of fat throughout - the manager tried to tell us it was the lack of MSG that had been used liberally by the previous chef ! I am very sensitive to MSG - headaches- and never had a problem - we ate there at least weekly. My husband was served ONE small short rib that had maybe 10% meat - big change !
On the positive side the service remains outstanding !

• Visited February 2013

“Menu is even better”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We visited Coal Fired Bistro and Wine Bar again and was impressed with the new menu. Plus the daily specials menu was a nice addition. The choices were great there is something for everyone and about every budget. The steak was amazing I don't know how they make such a good steak. My wife loved the Italian dishes she tried especially the chicken & the butternut squash.

The new chef & management should be commended. Food is better & fresher. Service is great. We will be long time regular .

3 Thank thunderrun
Greenville, SC
“Excellent service and food”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our experience at the Coal Fired Bistro. The service was excellent - even though the waite was young, he was very knowledgeable about the food preparation & ingredients as well as the wines. The food was outstanding - I had the Salmon and my wife had the duck. We plan to go back for the wine bar sometime soon.

• Visited February 2013
Greenville, SC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Coal Fired Bistro”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were not pleased at all with the new menu. Several of our favorites are no longer available like the escargot, lamb chops, sea bass, the seafood bowl that had a little bit of everything in it. I got the ribeye steak for lack of anything else to catch my eye (boring), and it was so salty I couldn't eat it. I took it home and rinsed if off before I'd even feed it to my dogs. This was our favorite restaurant, but since new management has taken over, we will not be back. Very disappointing.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Judith M
“What happened?”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We visited Coal Fired with friends last evening. Having been there once before, we were really looking forward to a fantastic experience. Unfortunately, that's not quite what we got. It was Saturday night during Restaurant Week, and the place was busy, but not packed. To start, our waitress seemed to be in a hurry for us to place our order, not explaining how the wine selection worked or offering to load a card with funds. We had to ask. Since they use a credit card type of system, which is preloaded with money, guests get up from their tables and wander to a wine bar where they can choose from different wines samples in three different sizes. Unfortunately, it is very dark, and there is no information provided at the wines to offer a description, rating, characteristics, flavors or any other details. The prices vary by wine with three sizes to choose from, and are all outrageously priced. The selection of red wine outnumbers the whites three to one, with only one Chardonnay in the mix. Once we had our drinks, we placed our orders; one of us chose from the 3 for 30 restaurant week menu. The others ordered from the regular menu. The waitress brought bed and olive oil, which was good, but she did not clear away any of the extra glasses that were on the table when we arrived, making the table very crowded. We had asked her to remove them. Our meals arrived and were very good in flavor and texture. The veal piccata was outstanding! Once finished, the plates were cleared, and we were brought one dessert menu for four people. Immediately after, the dessert for the 3 for 30 order was brought, before the rest of us even had a chance to see the menu. No coffee was offered, and again we had to ask the the glasses be cleared. In general, our waitress seemed less interested in our dining experience and more interested in getting us out the door. This was a great disappointment given that our last experience was so positively different. While the food was good, I am not sure we will return. With a little training for staff, and a little more effort, this could be a fantastic dining option. Sadly, with $35.00 for two glasses of Chardonnay, and the Denny's-style waitstaff experience, we will most likely choose someplace else next time.