“Top notch”

Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Highway 14
Description: Coal Fired Bistro is committed to providing fresh, local ingredients that are grown naturally and ecologically sound. We believe in the traditional Italian way of cooking, where one lets the flavor of the seasons shine through by simplicity of recipes but perfection in technique.
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Wonderful food, great atmosphere, and nice wine selection. They have this great wine system that allows you to try numerous wines by the glass, watch out... I would tell everyone to try this place so don't be fooled by the fact that it is in a small strip mall.

There are newer reviews for Coal Fired Bistro

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Great food, always sit at the bar with Christie takes great care of my wife & I. Love the scallops & autumno salad & can't go without ordering a bottle of the prisoner love this place

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I've been to Coal Fired a few times already - the food has always been no less than "good". On this visit the food was excellent! The layout of the dining area is a bit odd and doesn't lend to an intimate evening, but it is comfortable. On a busy night you will be part of the conversation six tables over because there is no real sound deadening. Yes, it is on the pricey side, but thus far it has been worth it. On this visit I had the Caesar Salad, Risotto E Funghi, and Branzino.

The Caesar Salad was a nice interpretation. The Romaine was cold and crisp. The anchovy and caper dressing was light yet flavorful, a very light anchovy background to the taste, complimented by small-shaved Romano. Instead of croutons, they incorporated two seasoned, crunchy slices of crostini. The whole combination was well blended.

The Risotto E Funghi was a delight. The rice was done to perfection (really!!). The blend of the Porcini mushrooms, asparagus (still with a crunch, but not chewy), Parmigiano cheese and tuffle butter were in balanced harmony. Not one overshadowed the other or dominated the flavors. This dish was rich, earthy, and as good as any I’ve ever eaten in Italy.

The Branzino really was the best dish I’ve ever had at Coal Fired. The Sea Bass was sweet and succulent. The mustard seed crust was the perfect flavor-compliment. And the Madiera sauce just brought it all together. I have to say I was incredulously surprised with the Truffle-scented polenta. Too often polenta is served as a gooey, grainy mass and truffle flavoring is too heavy handed. The polenta was firm. The truffle flavoring was enough of a hint to let you know it was there – a perfect combination with the Sea Bass

After all that, there simply was no room for desert. I’ll just have to go back again in order to give you my impression of their desserts.

The staff was friendly and very welcoming. Our waiter was attentive without being smothering. He was informative and helpful while we decided what to have and gave us the room to make up our own minds on what to have.

While this review is a good one, knowing that they are looking to serve a higher-end clientele, I didn’t give them a rating that merits a fine-dining rating. The dishes, although delicious, lacked that clearly fresh clean taste of premium ingredients. I do feel they are maturing toward that excellence and look forward to visiting them yet again.

1  Thank Dallas-0-Dallas
Reviewed February 20, 2012

When we went to Coal Fired Bistro over a year ago we loved the food and the atmosphere, so on a recent date night we decided to go back. Although we had a reservation, the hostess seated us on the outside porch which although is well heated in the winter it provides a view of a parking lot and a furniture warehouse, which is not idea. The waitress also seems to forget we were out there for long periods of time, although I'm not sure if that was supposed to be "italian" service. We ordered an appetizer that was nothing like how it was described and was a bizarre combination of eggplant, goat cheese, balsamic reduction, figs, apples, and other ingredients. For the entree I ordered seafood risotto, which was decent although it was not risotto - just cooked rice. It did contain a lot of seafood, although the salmon was overcooked and chewy. My husband ordered the mushroom risotto that was delicious when I had it over a year ago, but on this visit it was bitter and lacking salt or any seasoning. It was so bad it was basically inedible, and we really aren't that picky. The best part of the meal was the bread with olive oil and vinegar to dip it in. My husband ate the bread as his dinner since what he ordered was so terrible. I don't know what has happened to this restaurant, but I would definitely avoid it.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

The concierge at a nearby hotel recommended this place to us. She said that it was "exceptional". Well, it wasn't.

Coal Fired Bistro is in a strip mall off of a main highway. If you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't even know it's there.

Ambience is this: black curtains over the windows, a hardwood floor painted black, linen table cloths. Pretty basic, nothing offensive but nothing unique or particularly inviting.

Food was mediocre at best. I had a sirloin steak, cooked medium well. It came in a green and black pepper sauce with side of sour cucumbers. My steak was quite tough and not very flavorful. The sour cucumbers were just plain awful. Also, their menu says that they don't allow substitution of sides because "each one has been chosen to enhance the unique flavor of the meat". But if you wan't another side, you can have one for $5. This is restaurant speak for "we are going to gouge you".

I chose the least expensive cut of meat and it was $29. Salads and appetizers start at $10. It would be very easy to spend $75 on your meal alone. I've been to many restaurants where I was more than happy to spend that on a meal because the food and the dining experience were exceptional. Again, this is not one of those places.

My opinion of this place is that it is trying desperately to be something it is most certainly not: a Ruth's Chris. Food is as I mention before, is mediocre at best, ambience is non-existent, wait staff is not very well trained nor energetic and the host and hostess were aloof. Top that off with some fairly expensive prices for your meal and you have a recipe to make you wish that you had gone somewhere else, which is what I'll be doing next time I'm in Greenville.

1  Thank DeltaSkyKing