“Filling, Fun, and Fantastic!”

Greenville History Tours
Ranked #1 of 10 Food & Drink in Greenville
More attraction details
Owner description: Our selection of tours includes: $45pp At the Chef's Table culinary tour (3 hrs); walking; 5 restaurants $39pp Greenville BBQ Trail tour (2.25 hrs); driving; 3 restaurants $15pp Downtown Driving Tour (1 hr) $20pp Historic Neighborhoods & Architecture tour (1.5 hrs); driving $12 West End Walking tour (1 hr); walking $39 Greenville Breakfast tour (2 hrs); driving; 3 restaurants (coming summer 2017)
Greenville, South Carolina
“Filling, Fun, and Fantastic!”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

My best friend and I joined John on his culinary tour at the last minute and I'm so glad we did! Even being a Greenville native, I learned many interesting things about our town that I never knew and John's visuals were really helpful in putting everything into perspective. The tour began with a cooking demonstration and tasting in the kitchen of a local yummy restaurant and continued on to four other restaurants for a complete meal - including drinks (alcoholic and nonalcoholic) and DESSERT! Again, even though I dine at all five of these restaurants frequently, I learned so much and really enjoyed getting to meet the chefs, tasting different items off of their menus, and the tasty drink parings! Really, the over all experience was fantastic. We left with full stomaches, fun memories, and a new understanding of the development of our wonderful Downtown Greenville.

Upstate SC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“So much more than just a food tasting!”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My husband and I have lived in Greenville for almost 10 years and we are always meaning to eat downtown more but never seem to do it. I'd say our biggest holdup was that we just weren't familiar with any of the restaurants and could never decide where to begin- they all look so good. The Culinary Tour was the perfect answer to this! We visited 5 amazing resturants, had wonderful food so much food!), enjoyed the ambiance and "flavor" of 5 very different places. The best part was that I tried several dishes that I would never have ordered becuase I like to play it safe, but I loved ever single thing we ate! I haven't had shrimp in almost 20 years but Chef Rodney brought me back! His shrimp and grits was so delicious! The real value of the tour isn't just in the food (which is plentiful!) but hearing the history of the buildings and the area was so great. As transplants, we are unfamiliar with much of Greenville's past and learning about where it's been and where it's going really added so much to the whole experience. Finally, I so loved meeting the restaurant managers, the chefs, and sommeliers and hearing how each of them contributes to the menu and plan for the restaurant and how that plays into the dining experience.
I really loved doing this tour and I'm so glad we finally went. I am looking forward to the new tours coming up (and I might do this one again!)

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good food...great friends...incredible tour”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Everything about the food tour was perfect. The weather, the town, the guide, the people and of course...the food. Each restaurant had something different to offer which was exciting. They even made special dishes for those in the group that couldn't have glutton. The portions were perfect as well. Not too much, but just enough to make you want to go back another time for a bigger bite...which is exactly what I did with some of my friends just the other week. This is a great gift to give someone for the holidays. A day in Greenville with food and friends...it doesn't get much better than that.

Visited August 2011
GvilleHistoryTours, Owner at Greenville History Tours, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Taylors, South Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“ALL Greenvillians, whether new to area or have lived here all their lives need to do this tour.”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Great fun & very informative. The tour had good food, drinks and was educational in a fun format. The 3 hours went by quickly! It was interesting to learn things about our area. Having lived here most of my life, I didn't realize most of the things that John taught us about Greenville's history.
I do wish I had brought my camera.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Becky C
Salem, SC
“An awesome, fun afternoon of food and history of Greenville!”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My husband and I signed up for this tour and, to be honest, he wasn't very enthusiastic about going. But by the end of the tour, he was already planning who else we could ask to come on the tour so we could come a few more times!

We like coming to Greenville, and we like trying new restaurants, but we had never been to any of the restaurants on the tour. It was wonderful for us to be exposed to all these new places. They were all terrific, too. At each restaurant, either the chef and/or the manager came and talked to us about the restaurants history, its philosophy on food, etc. Did I mention how delicious and unique each restaurant's food was, too?? We will absolutely be going back to them in the future!

As we walked from restaurant to restaurant, John Nolan, our very knowledgable guide, told us about the history of where we were walking, the surrounding buildings, and about Greenville in general.

We will most certainly be repeating this tour with friends and out-of-town guests. I can't think of a better way to introduce them to the lovely city of Greenville and all it has to offer!