“Wonderful Hotel in a Beautiful city...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Poinsett, Greenville

The Westin Poinsett, Greenville
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Marietta, Georgia, United States
“Wonderful Hotel in a Beautiful city...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently held our Firm’s annual overnight retreat at the Westin Poinsett in Greenville, SC. What a great experience we had with the hotel and who knew downtown Greenville was so beautiful. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and made sure all the details were handled for us. I really enjoyed working with their sales and planning team on our event. They were flexible and easy to work with. It seemed that everyone at the property really liked what they were doing and were glad we were there!! I will definitely consider holding another event at the Westin Poinsett in Greenville, SC!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fabianu, General Manager at The Westin Poinsett, Greenville, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Gene,
I am very pleased to hear that your retreat was such a success and that the Westin Poinsett greatly contributed to it. Thank you for complimenting our associates; your nice comments will go far with keeping them motivated. Our sales team is very much looking forward to hearing back from you, when the time has come. Until then, stay well and thank you again for your business and kind words.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently got married downtown and had all of my guests (including myself) stay at the hotel for the weekend. We also chose to have a welcome reception in the Spoonbread restaurant the evening before the wedding and everything was great-the food, the bartenders, etc! I worked with Somers Maky on planning the reception as well as had her help me with some of the booking arrangements for family and friends and she was so kind and was really great at communicating with me. Also, we were able to use the golf cart as our exit vehicle from the wedding reception site back to the hotel, which was convenient and fun!
Not only is the hotel a beautiful place to stay and in a convenient location, the staff is absolutely wonderful and accommodating. Would recommend to anyone!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ashley,
Congratulations on your recent wedding and we are delighted to have been a part of it. Somers is a much appreciated sales manager at our hotel and I’ll be sure to pass on your nice comments to her, along with the rest of our staff. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy our new golf cart for your send off, I believe you have been the first one to use it for this purpose! We sincerely hope that you’ll be back to visit us soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I live in Dallas and planned my daughters wedding with 2 different meetings.I was concerned that the wedding coordinator was getting married on the same day, but was assured by Stephen that it wasn't going to be a problem. To say he was confident was an understatement. It started with the food tasting. I was expecting small portions that we would split up, but the food was full portions for each person (4). The food was incredible. We also went over a plan to lay out our options for the wedding, worked on our budget and then left for Dallas. Our daughter left out a few things that were important and this is where Stephen was unbelievable. He took care of everything his staff was tireless. They catered to our family before the wedding going above and beyond. The wedding and reception was perfect. I can't say enough good things about Stephen and his staff. If your planning a wedding or party you should talk to Stephen personally and see what he can do for you. We think he's great!!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fabianu, General Manager at The Westin Poinsett, Greenville, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Firstly, congratulations on the celebration of your daughter’s wedding. We are honored that you chose to plan this most important event with our hotel and that everything went better than expected. Stephen is a very experienced and caring manager and we are thrilled to hear that he left quite the impression on you. Thank you again for your confidence in the Westin Poinsett!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I helped arrange a trip for my parents to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary. Planned and coordinated from Singapore with Janice on the concierge team. Amazing to work with. Got their room ready early with roses, treats, etc. Loved the personalized above & beyond attention. THANK YOU. Keep up the great work, Team Westin!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
I’m glad to hear that Janice was so helpful with your plans and that you chose our hotel to treat your parents for such a special celebration. Greenville is a very exciting city and Janice is very good at ensuring our guests enjoy all that it has to offer, I’ll be sure to pass on your praises to her. We are delighted to hear that your parents had a delightful stay.
hillsborough nc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I can't even say how excited we were about staying in this hotel, and I'm shocked at how mediocre an experience it ended up being! Yes, the lobby is -incredible-, the location can't be beat, and the customer service was good. All the little things, though--the lack of attention to detail--really added up.

Most important--the food. The "coffee shop" in the lobby is absolutely not to be thought of as a real coffee shop--it is more like getting coffee at a 7-11. They have urns of flavored coffee all lined up, and even though we got a plain roast, it still tasted like hazelnut perfume. I am guessing they must use the same brew basket for all the blends, so it was barely palatable. Also, the $2 breakfast sandwiches were absolutely horrible. Oddly sour English muffins with what must have been microwaved egg, sitting in a steamer until the whole thing was a cohesive gummy texture.... Simply not acceptable at a 4-diamond hotel.

The next morning we tried the buffet breakfast at the hotel's Spoonbread restaurant and found it lacking as well. The fresh berries were lovely, but the omelet we got from the omelet station tasted like nothing but canola oil. No salt, no pepper, no butter--the only thing that came through was the fried flavor of vegetable oil. For $16.50 ea, I would have expected better!

On a brighter note, the room service we ordered was very, very good. Highlight: crab cakes with what might have been a chipotle remoulade and garnished with a healthy heaping of arugula salad, dressed with lemon juice and olive oil. Excellent! Low point: my "pork medallions" turned out to be boneless pork chops, and they were chewy and dry. I would have expected "pork medallions" to mean slices of pork tenderloin and wouldn't have ordered it if I'd realized.

One other major problem: the morning of our checkout, someone came around and knocked on what seemed to be every door on the entire floor at 7:30 AM to slip bills underneath the doors. Was a knock really necessary?? It was 7:30 on a Sunday morning with no checkout until noon! We work very hard on business trips, and we need to ability to set our own sleep schedule and milk the most from our down-time to be at our best later in the day. Sheesh!

Best parts of our stay were definitely the location, drinks at the piano bar, and the quality of the beds.

Worst parts were the complete unavailability of decent coffee without stepping out of the actual hotel, the canola oil omelette, and the 7:30 Sunday wake-up knock for no reason whatsoever. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Jody,
While I’m glad that you did enjoy the heavenly beds, rooms service, location and guest services, I do apologize for the rest of your experience. I have discussed your concerns about the coffee shop and your detail description of our menu items with the Food and Beverage Director and our Executive Chef. We will make some adjustments. As for the 7:30am knock, we are not sure as to what happened due to that being very uncharacteristic for the receipt delivery or our housekeeping team, which starts at a later time on Sundays; However, we apologize for the disturbance. We hope that you will change your mind and try us again, as I am confident that you will have a more enjoyable experience the next time.
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I visited Greenville for the first time over Labor Day weekend. The Westin Poinsett was everything we hoped it would be and more. One of the things we look for when arriving anywhere is how the staff reacts to our arrival and it was obvious right away we were walking into a welcoming place. The room was extremely clean and of course the Westin bed speaks for itself. Tops also is the location of this hotel. It is smack in the heart of Greenville on Main St. which means you don't even need your car to visit all the restaurants and sights around central Greenville.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We are honored that you chose to spend your long holiday weekend with us and that we exceeded your expectations. It’s a delight to hear that you felt at home as soon as you arrived and that you took advantage of our wonderful location by walking to the many restaurants that surround our hotel. We hope you will chose to return for another visit soon and enjoy our signature Heavenly Beds again.
Medina, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've stayed here a couple times on business and have never been disappointed. It is so convenient to everything! It is an old hotel but very nicely updated and very comfortable. Breakfast buffet is yummy. All staff members are helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words on our hotel and our services. We are very pleased that we meet your needs and expectations every time you stay with us. I will share your culinary feedback with our Executive Chef. We sincerely look forward to your return.