“A lovely stay for the bride and groom!”

The Westin Poinsett, Greenville
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
“A lovely stay for the bride and groom!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Securing our wedding block was a sinch. Everyone was very helpful in checking the bridal party in early so that we could get ready for the special day. Everything from champagne to a streamer was brought up to the room during our stay. Overall, the Westin staff was very accommodating!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Knoxville
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Westin Poinsett HAS BEEN a great place to stay. Has been. The lobby and public areas are still great. There is a pleasant and efficient valet and check in staff. And great food in the restaurant always. But the guest floor hallways and rooms, where the guests actually stay and sleep, need attention. The hallway carpet needs to be replaced and the new carpet should coordinate better with the wallpaper. The guest rooms need to be refreshed with carpet and furnishings. In a month I have stayed in both a 'regular room' and an executive suite. The lamp shades were askew, the carpet was worn and actually frayed where it met the doorway to the bath, the towels were not hung with care, the phone had two cords which were not tucked behind the nightstand but gapping out almost to the bathroom door, a vacuum had not touched behind the bedstand or under the bed in years...there were pills, etc. when I pulled out to plug in my computer and the outlets were full and each had a three plug adapter which was full. I had to stretch my computer cord to the bathroom for power, The bedskirt was too long and drug the floor at least 6" or more...I stepped on it getting into bed...I don't like that and it looks wierd when you walk in the room. The first impression is disappointing...especially after walking through the grand lobby downstairs. This hotel has great potential and it is in the very center of the neatest town I have visited in a long time. The Hyatt is doing a multi-million dollar renovation two blocks away. The Courtyard by Marriott is right next door and even the Hampton Inn is a very handsome building and right on the Reedy River at the sluice falls. I would always opt to stay at the Poinsett...the grand old dame of downtown. But why pay the price for a dumpy room? Westin needs to make this once grand queen grand again. While they are at it they should take the time to at least paint the exterior window trims. The view at my window is magnificent...overlooking the center square and down Main Street and beyond. But the window on the outside has badly cracked and chipping paint and the sill has not had attention in so long that it is starting to rot. I looked across at the other windows and they are all the same. The closet door, in the $275/night executive suite, drags on the back of the bedroom door and the paint is scratched off deep and wide. Does anyone from management ever visit a room? The valet and check in ladies were wonderful...but they can't fix these problems. Where is Leona Helmsley at the Poinsett??? There is no need for this building to be failing like this. I understand that it was refurbished in a major overhaul in 2012. I am thinking that nothing has been done in 12 years. Facility mainenance is needed NOW. Guest halls and quarters need complete refurbishing. Daily service to every room should meet a higher standard...someone needs to be inspecting for first impression eye appeal...everywhere. Until this is done I will be paying a lot less and staying in a lot better. When Westin cares again about this property so will I.

Room Tip: Until Westin fixes its Greenville SC hotel, The Poinsett, I will be staying at one of these: Hyatt...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R N
Fabianu, General Manager at The Westin Poinsett, Greenville, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel, as we always strive, and generally succeed, in exceeding our guest’s expectations.
The housekeeping issues have been addressed with the appropriate team members. In regard to the windows, you might be pleased to hear we have started to replace them with energy efficient double pane windows while maintaining the look of the historic building. In addition we perform continuous upgrades to our guest rooms and public space to ensure we fulfill the expectations of being the only 4 diamond hotel in downtown Greenville. We sincerely appreciate your nice comments about our staff and food product, and I can assure you that all of us sincerely care about our guest’s experience. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Greenville, SC
Reviewed September 28, 2012

AFL held its international sales meeting at the Westin Poinsett last month. The hotel itself is a gorgeous historic landmark in the heart of downtown Greenville. It's been beautifully restored and treats guests to the very best of the South. For our meeting, about 200 participants joined us from all over the world, and they were truly impressed. The common areas and the guest rooms are beautiful. The food was also incredible...much, much better than standard fare hotel food. While all of this certainly presents the Westin Poinsett in a positive light, the most important attribute of the facility is its team. The people are excellent. They responded cheerfully and efficiently to any request. Oftentimes, they would anticipate our needs before we'd ask. In my career I've done numerous events and I have never received better service than at the Westin Poinsett.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Westchester, New York, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2012

It has been several years since I've been to Greenville and the Westin and after my experience I'm not sure why I waited so long! The room was very comfortable and spacious (I had a corner room). the staff was very friendly and accommodating particularly the Business Travel Sales Manager Sharon Rivers. The hotel has a great location. Once I came back to the hotel I could just park my car and walk to wherever I wanted to go. The only "problem" i experienced was housekeeping knocked on my door at 8am one morning. I thought that was a bit early to be knocking especially since the newspaper was still outside the door. Other than that, great stay and I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. I believe they are a little more spacious and you get two windows!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I spend a majority of my weekend here and have to say one of the reasons that keeps me coming back is the staff. They are exceptionally helpful in making sure my stay is great. For example, I was placed in bind and needed to conduct a last minute business meeting on the premises and the manager, Stephen, went out of his way to ensure he found a space for my team.

If you are travelling to Greenville and are looking for the best place to stay in the city, look no further.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

You will be hard pressed to find a better hotel near downtown Greenville. My husband and I spent our 10th wedding anniversary weekend (May 25 - 27) at the Westin Poinsett and loved it. Not only was our room delightful, but the staff went above and beyond. They front desk staff sent up a delicious dessert when we returned from dinner on Friday evening, helped us arrange a spa treatment on Saturday afternoon & made our dinner reservation at Larkin's on the River for Saturday evening. This place is well worth the money you'll spend ..... You will feel like royalty the whole duration of your stay. We look forward to a return visit.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Went to a wedding at the Westin Poinsett, Greenville, SC, weekend of their "Euphoria" festival....awesome place, great service and best staff ever! Would love to go back again for more time to check out the downtown Greenville area.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are extra large!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends