“GREAT FOOD & SERVICE”

Schwaben House
Ranked #25 of 905 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: European, German, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Greenville, SC
“GREAT FOOD & SERVICE”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Growing up in Chicago, we are always on the lookout for authentic ethnic food. We have found the perfect German restaurant here in Greenville. Very cozy atmosphere and the wait staff is exceptional. We have dined there twice in the past month and were not disappointed. In December, the chef's starter was "meatloaf", which was delicious. I do wish this was on the menu as an entree. Last night the starter was fresh mozzarella on toast with fresh tomato and it was also very tasty. I was fortunate to choose the "special" on both occasions (Roasted duck & Pork Rack) Both dishes were to die for and prepared perfectly. The pan gravy & reduction on the pork rack were incredible. My husband had ordered the pork loin in December which was stuffed with apricots, cherries and plums, and it was so amazing, we are attempting to replicate this dish at home. Desserts are also incredibly tasty and we highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wishing a cozy evening with great service and food.

2 Thank chi_girl01

Taylors, SC
“Awesome”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Tried it on the friends suggestion. Enjoyed it so much I went there for my birthday. The best food and veggies I have ever eaten. I never eat my veggies but when I go here I clean my plate clean. It is so awesome and the atmosphere is pleasantly homey. I feel like I am going home to a great home cooked meal.

2 Thank lilbit0107
Lewis Center, Ohio
“Authentic German cuisine”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Being German myself and craving for German food in the U.S., I found this the only place so far, which serves REALLY authentic German food that is way above the fast food crap most other "German" restaurants serve. The service is excellent, very welcoming and friendly.

I had their beef roast Sauerbraten as entree. The meat was tender and almost melted on my tongue. Exactly like my mom makes it. Very delicious and well worth 5 stars.

I finished my dinner with two mini deserts, Black Forest that is a dream made out of coffee soaked cake, cured cherries and chocolate mouse. The second mini desert was Creme Caramel: crisp biscuits taking a bath in caramel pudding creme. Both of them were very tasty.

2 Thank StefanHartl
greenville, sc
“A fake restaurant”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I went with great expectations, based on a friend's recommendation and the other reviews on this site. This is my experience: the "compliments of the chef" starter was not very good, and it was cold (of the four of us, two were served the item cold and for the other two it was hot). The stuffed pork was not very good...it was overcooked and the stuffing had absolutely no flavor other than that of the gravy. Annoyingly, it was served while we were only half-way thru the salads....."we're not ready for the entree" was met with a superior "this is the way it's done in Germany." Somebody tell this girl we are not in Germany; we're here for some German cuisine not German customs. The carrots were the small, already-peeled ones you can get in the grocery store. The problem with them is that they are peeled using a chemical process that imparts a taste of its own; the result is the carrots taste nothing like carrots. The mashed potatoes were 1. cold and 2. tasteless. On to dessert: The pastry creme served with the apple strudel was tasteless, as was the whipped cream. My husband's highly recommended "chocolate cake" was basically a very average brownie. On to the service: I thought the waitress was arrogant, and she was never near-by when we wanted her....her service wasn't really very good. And worst of all, without having to, she continually reached across me to serve the lady next to me. One time I tested her by putting my elbows on the table to see what she'd do.....she served the dish going behind me, as she was supposed to. The next time I did the same thing, she was having none of it and reached across me again. Is she stupid or playing with me? It doesn't matter, I won't be going back. This is one of those places I call a "fake restaurant..." almost nothing is really right or really good but the owners keep on keeping on anyway. The emperor has no clothes here. There are plenty of other and much better restaurants in Greenville, try one of those instead.

• Visited December 2012
6 Thank judy h
“Being of German descent on both parents' sides, I can honestly say this restaurant, its owner, and her staff are the most genuin”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

See the one sentence above and add this is my and my husband's favorite Friday-night-date restaurant.

2 Thank SamsNorthernGirl