“Will definitely be going back”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Trappe door

The Trappe door
Ranked #3 of 900 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American, Belgian, Bar, European, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Summerville, South Carolina
“Will definitely be going back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been twice, and I really enjoy the food. The second time, we took my dad whose roots are Belgian, and he loved it. Service is not excellent, however. We stood waiting to be seated, while the hostess continued to answer the phone. The food took forever to arrive (forever = more than 45 minutes) , and almost everything we had ordered, except for fries, would have already been prepared - meatloaf, sausage, carbonnades. I will definitely be going back for the yummy food, but will be prepared to be patient. Oh, and bring a flashlight. Both times, we have been in a booth where it was so dark, we could not read the menu!!

Greenville, South Carolina
“Always Friendly, and Great Comfort Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We have been here 3 times in the last month or so and this is quickly becoming one of our favorites. The staff is very friendly and very informative when you ask about a beer or wine. We have enjoyed the food also each visit. Last night we decided to have a different course at each 3 different restaurants and thus had the appetizer here. Our choice was the Brie wrapped in pastry, served with apples and water crackers. It was excellent. The pastry was not to thick as to not take away from the taste of the cheese. Everything we have ever had here has been great. They have good mussels also.
The only small negative is that they will only open 10 bottles of wine to serve by the glass. It was 5:30 PM and so I am guessing the bottles they had open were from the lunch crowd. Well they had introduced me to a new wine during our visit a couple of weeks ago and I really wanted a glass. Because they already had 10 bottles of wine open so would not open the wine I requested. I was disappointed but had a Pimms instead which is always great.

Greenville, SC
“Wish I Could Rate It Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The thing with the Trappe Door is this: the food is divine. Moules and frites (mussels and fries) are always wonderful. I had fish and chips last time and even THAT was absolutely the way fish and frites are when you imagine then. I've never known anyone who didn't like the food itself.

The service, however, can be atrocious. The last time I went, some friends had made reservations. Most of them arrived late. We were informed that our table had been booked exactly two hours after the reservation time, meaning that now our table had a little under an hour and a half to enjoy appetizers, entrees, beverages, and any desserts we might like. Actually, I should correct that - I, being the first person to arrive, was informed of this and the waiter said he would inform the rest of the table. He never really did, until I brought it up myself (I had already told the table, but felt the need to make sure he KNEW the table was aware) at 8 PM.

Our waiter, despite the obvious need to get us our things quickly so that we wouldn't overlap the next table, would sometimes just disappear for a while. We'd see glimpses of him, sure, the way people sometimes see the Loch Ness monster. We had to essentially stand up and flag him down, and he completely forgot my dinner companion's fries... when she had ordered moules and frites. Where it's kind of part of the meal plan. We were rushed out to make sure we were out of the table by 8:30. Luckily, we're pretty easy-going people and didn't mind heading over to Coffee Underground, but I could see the waiter's brusque manner and the restaurant's near double-booking being a problem for other diners. Of course, the waiter auto-gratted our large table, meaning that he got an automatic tip. That was probably fortunate for him.

I have previously had servers disappear entirely after taking preliminary orders, the wine list (they only open 10 bottles at once) is on boards that one can barely see in the dim light and must actually stand up and walk over to (the waiters don't really know themselves and if you don't walk over yourself, they must walk over to look), the noise is surprisingly loud for such a small and seemingly cozy restaurant and the prices are frankly about 2 to 3 dollars higher for any given item on the menu than I think they should be.

All these downsides, and I still give it "Very Good"?

Well, that's what such excellent food does for you. I can have what is essentially unpleasant service after unpleasant service, not be a huge fan of the dim lighting, think not having a wine-list on hand for patrons is kind of silly, and STILL vote this almost perfect.

Because the food is so amazing that it really eclipses everything else while you're there. And the beer selection has never once let me down.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank stressandstars
Pickens, South Carolina
“Quick Trip to Belgium”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We visited the Trappe Door on a Friday night. The place was hopping but we were able to get a table for four quickly. Our waitress was pleasant and efficient, answering or finding answers to all our questions. The four of us ordered four entrees and each was superb! We had duck breast, a Flemmish stew, a seafood chowder, and scallops. They have an unusually large array of delicious Belgian beers, ales and lambics. We topped off dinner with yummy creme brulee and profitteroles. I can't find one thing to complain about our visit. If you go once, you'll go back often!

Hixson, Tennessee
“Stop here if you like beer!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

There are so many restaurants downtown it was hard to choose. This was a good choice though! We were in town for the weekend and it was an easy walk from the hotel. The beer selection was extensive and our waitress spent time telling us about the different varieties and guiding us to something that might be appropriate for the meal we selected. We weren't disappointed! We even tried the absinthe after dinner.

I had the mussels - a treat since I haven't had seafood in a while. Others had the mushroom pasta and the Thai red curry fish. All very tasty! The portions were not huge and there were no extras or bread, which was fine for us. Desserts were also reasonable sizes and also good. The total was a bit expensive but we also got to try things we haven't seen anywhere else.

• Visited September 2012