“Second time not a charm” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: The Parkway
Description: Giatu brings new enthusiasm to dining. Our retro-contemporary atmosphere, fine food and attentive staff will ensure your visit is a rewarding one. Our dining experience is unique to the Greenville area; come for drinks or dinner and see for yourself! We look forward to serving you.
ohio
“Second time not a charm”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had a couple appetizers here a year ago and they were quite good so we decided to go back for my daughter's birthday. This time it was very disappointing. The menu was changed for the worse and smaller. The food was average at best. My salmon was dry to the point of being almost uneatable. Others in the group had lobster risotto, mahi-mahi and the filet. The steak was good but the rest of the meals were also marginal. Service was below average. We were at a large round table but the waiter stood in one spot to take our orders which was awkward. My wife was at a spot were we had to pass her every part of her dinner. He dropped some silverware while clearly the table the almost landed in my son's water. They were out of my first appetizer selection. The dinner rolls that were coming out in "a minute" took around 15 minutes to arrive. You get the point. If you are staying at the Marriott and don't know the area then this is probably an OK hotel restaurant on an expense account. Otherwise there are many better places in the area for the same or lower price.

• Visited October 2012

NY
“A hidden gem inside the Marriott Greenville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Ate at the bar here earlier this month, and found the food to be outstanding. Lobster bisque with multiple chunks of lobster started off the meal in great fashion. A spicy shrimp appetizer was legitimately spicy and tasty! The main course of lobster risotto was great also. Additionally, they had bottles of Samuel Smith ale, which were served cold, and perfectly complemented the meal. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2012
Rhode Island
“Nice suprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

What a nice surprise! Checked in fairly late due to a cancelled flight, and did not feel like venturing out for dinner. Giatu was a very nice surpise. It did not have a "hotel restaurant" feel, the staff was attentive and knowledgeable about the food. The selection was plentiful from apps, to light fare to full dinners. A speciality salad and the muscles "light fare" was plentiful. When in this area again, I will stay at this Marriott and I will stay in for dinner.

• Visited August 2012
Greenville, SC
“Excellent food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Food is excellent and well priced. Gwen made our experience extra special, too! Had lunch one day & brunch the next day & both meals were excellent.

Visited July 2012
Brownsboro, AL
“Great Dining Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

As with a lot of hotel restaurants, I had doubts about the quality of the food, BUT there was no need to doubt this one. My husband and I were staying at the Marriott Greenville to do the BMW Driving Experience and Tour. Since this is between Greenville and Spartanburg and out from either, we decided to eat at the hotel for convenience. IT WAS GREAT! We were sitted promptly, greeted by our server Catherine prompty and served our courses promptly. So far so good.....but it kept being great! The food was so delish and prepared to both our liking. I had a Giatu salad (with apricots, grapefruit wedges, goat cheese on fresh, crisp mixed greens with a grapefruit vinegarette!!) and the Low Country Shrimp and Grits (maybe the best grits I have ever had...well Frank Stitts' in Bham may be neck and neck with these) were absolutely wonderful. The shrimps were cooked exactly right and tender with just enough spice....the grits were jalapeno/cheese grits...yummy!! It has a kick, but I love spicy food so I was delighted. So good. Hubs had the roasted tomato soup and the filet but asked for the jal/cheese grits instead of the fries....he loved his too!! The roasted tom soup was excellent. He said the filet was so tender, tasty and cooked just like it should be. Needless to say more but the food was outstanding!! Catherine took very good care of us too and her suggestions and opinions were very accurate! Our only slight disappointment was that this area is dry on Sundays so we couldn't get a glass of vino or a mixed drink....not a huge deal since we don't drink a lot. The food and service made up for any let down from the bar being closed! If in this area again, we will def return to the Giatu at the Marriott......our compliments to the chef and staff!

• Visited June 2012