“Probably best sushi in Greenville, and definitely the worst service”
Review of Purple

Purple
Reserve with OpenTable
Purple is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #222 of 927 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Tel 864 232 3255. Opened in Spring 2010.
Greenville, South Carolina
“Probably best sushi in Greenville, and definitely the worst service”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The waitress started a totally uncalled for cat fight with my date. After I asked for some clarification - couldn't remember the name of a fish - the owner brought me the nigiri I asked for - and it was the second piece on a re-order, so it's not that I was complaining about the food! - with a very aggressive and dismissive demeanor saying "I'm paying you a visit at the table, since you paid me a visit at the counter". Newsflash: we are not in some cheap yakuza movie, so relax bro. Everybody seems tight, definitely an awful atmosphere. The sushi was great and they are creative with their rolls, but they brought my date an eel roll that was pitiful, almost to remind her who was in charge. On a 100$ bill I left a 15$ tip, in retrospect I should have left 0. So, even though the sushi is great, don't bother.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Luca B

Greenville, SC
“Best Sushi in Greenville, but Customer Service lacking”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

There's no doubt that Purple International Bistro and Sushi has the best sushi I have had in Greenville, but the service is lacking. Not only do they tell you on the menu not to degrade your sushi by dipping it in soy sauce, the waitress spent a good five minutes schooling us on why we should not use soy sauce. I LOVE soy sauce! I like nothing more than to smear my sushi, even the freshest of sushi, with a little wasabi and give it a little dip in soy sauce. Especially at Purple, since they make their own soy sauce IN HOUSE. I definitely want their sushi again, but may get it to go next time. Who wants to be sushi shamed?!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank GapCreekGourmet
Milano
“Best Sushi Ever”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I am traveling from Europe very often in Greenville for business. I started to eat at Purple when their business started few years ago.
Purple is the first place I visit after a long intercontinental flight because the relaxed atmosphere and the nice owners make me feel at home... and of course the food is the best quality I have ever had in a Sushi restaurant. Thank you chef Jack!

Visited March 2013
Greenville, SC
“Best restaurant in Greenville”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Been coming here for a while and I have been to every fine restaurant in Greenville. There is no finer trained Chef than Chef Jack. You want steak...go to Chop House. You want the best sushi and creative Asian fusion, Purple is the ONLY place in Greenville and it rivals some of the best in the country. Jacque makes you feel @ home and sit alone at the bar for lunch or dinner...it's part the best meal you will have, part deep philosophical discussion (if you want) and lots of laughs. If you want some peace they have a spot for you too. The people and the food are a perfect balance. If you like sushi and have not been here....shame on you :-)

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank aiko492
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great Lunch with my wife”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful sushi sashimi lunch. Each of our lunches came with either miso soup or salad and both were good.
The assortment of fish was very nice and very fresh. The homemade light soy sauce was very nice too. The wasabi was very spicy just the way it should be. Our waitress was full of personality and just delightful. We found the presentation lovely and the menu has tons of interesting rolls of any type. This was our first time at Purple and we'll be going back soon.

• Visited June 2013