“EXCELLENT staff!!”

Museum and Library of Confederate History
Ranked #19 of 98 things to do in Greenville
Reviewed July 29, 2012

If you are a history buff or just want to look into your family's connection to the war between the states, this is the place. You can use the library (free) to research your family, weapons, or anything related to the war (on either side) and the staff is always happy to assist you! Its really a great little spot to go and enjoy a little history!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Wonderful things to look at and read. If you want to view everything that you find interesting, plan at least two hours for your visit. Your first hour will be filled by the employees showing you what they think is interesting.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Upon entering the Museum, a gentleman asked me if it was my first visit. Since it was, he felt compelled to give me a "guided" tour of the collection. But I sensed more than wanting to show the collection's highlights to me, he had a greater desire to explain his view of his ancestors' Confederacy. He shared that he saw many similiarities between Obama (a lousy President, in my opinion) and Lincoln (a lousy President, in his opinion): both godless men whose greatest interest is the expansion of the federal government. He tried to explain succession as a sort of 19th century Tea Party movement and added that slavery had little to do with the war. He cited that slaves even fought along side whites against the Yanks.

I asked him if he had read Frederick Douglass's autobiography. "I hate that man, as much as I hate Lincoln." To his credit, he knew a great deal about the Confederacy (i.e. battles, bullets, and boats); the little collection (the building is a house coverted to a museum) is impressive. But I am reminded of a Brit who once told me about an American anglophile, "He's more British than the British." Surely, the devasting war was not all guns and glory when it was happening. I have a feeling this 21st century docent was more enthused about creating a separate nation than his great great great granddaddy was.

There is no admission price, but they will except donations in current USD (possibly reluctantly). Giftshop loaded with souvenirs and books. Look elsewhere for biographies of Abraham Lincoln.

3  Thank Noel78
Reviewed March 16, 2012

everything was small-the gift shop, museum, and library. i have no idea how they fit all that stuff in there. it was a pretty cool museum. lots of cannons and cannon balls. the old guys were a little creepy though they would kind of follow you around.

1  Thank Marissa M
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Saw the sign pointing to this museum and my husband pulled in. We were with my 85 y/o mom so climbing the stair was a bit tricky, but the museum was filled with great stuff! The gentleman showing us around was well versed in the local history and he showed us many interesting items. We had a great time looking at Civil War items, surgery sets, uniforms , and battle supplies. The old currency is especially interesting! This is a great stop!

3  Thank CherylandBrett