“Nice Place to Visit”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice Place to Visit”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Wonderful things to look at and read. If you want to view everything that you find interesting, plan at least two hours for your visit. Your first hour will be filled by the employees showing you what they think is interesting.

Visited June 2012

North Carolina
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“Confederate history in 21st century times”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Upon entering the Museum, a gentleman asked me if it was my first visit. Since it was, he felt compelled to give me a "guided" tour of the collection. But I sensed more than wanting to show the collection's highlights to me, he had a greater desire to explain his view of his ancestors' Confederacy. He shared that he saw many similiarities between Obama (a lousy President, in my opinion) and Lincoln (a lousy President, in his opinion): both godless men whose greatest interest is the expansion of the federal government. He tried to explain succession as a sort of 19th century Tea Party movement and added that slavery had little to do with the war. He cited that slaves even fought along side whites against the Yanks.

I asked him if he had read Frederick Douglass's autobiography. "I hate that man, as much as I hate Lincoln." To his credit, he knew a great deal about the Confederacy (i.e. battles, bullets, and boats); the little collection (the building is a house coverted to a museum) is impressive. But I am reminded of a Brit who once told me about an American anglophile, "He's more British than the British." Surely, the devasting war was not all guns and glory when it was happening. I have a feeling this 21st century docent was more enthused about creating a separate nation than his great great great granddaddy was.

There is no admission price, but they will except donations in current USD (possibly reluctantly). Giftshop loaded with souvenirs and books. Look elsewhere for biographies of Abraham Lincoln.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Noel78
Ontario, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“very small lots of information”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

everything was small-the gift shop, museum, and library. i have no idea how they fit all that stuff in there. it was a pretty cool museum. lots of cannons and cannon balls. the old guys were a little creepy though they would kind of follow you around.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Marissa M
Simpsonville, South Carolina
181 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“Nice museum, very knowledgeable docent”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Saw the sign pointing to this museum and my husband pulled in. We were with my 85 y/o mom so climbing the stair was a bit tricky, but the museum was filled with great stuff! The gentleman showing us around was well versed in the local history and he showed us many interesting items. We had a great time looking at Civil War items, surgery sets, uniforms , and battle supplies. The old currency is especially interesting! This is a great stop!

Visited March 2012
3 Thank CherylandBrett
Texas
369 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,717 helpful votes
“An Informative Museum”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The Museum and Library of Confederate History in Greenville, South Carolina, is exceptionally well done and the volunteer docents are friendly and well versed in the history of the War Between the States. During our visit, there were couples with children, and the docents were very good in providing information and special exhibits of interest to children. Persons interested in the Civil War would like this museum. Admission is free but donations are appreciated.

Visited November 2011