“Fantastic Service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Fantastic Service”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed here over the past weekend for a wedding, and it fantastic all around. I give it five stars for location, cleanliness, value, amenities, decor and comfort; but the service was what really set it apart and made it an extraordinarily nice stay. Every employee from Ruby at the desk to the cleaning crew was extremely welcoming and helpful, but one desk clerk in particular, Austin, was so good that I felt obligated to write my first ever online review. It seemed like every time I called down or walked through the lobby all weekend, he just happened to be the one who was there, and eager to help. He, gave directions and recommendations, called cabs, sent wine glasses to my room to be waiting after the wedding, and most impressively, personally brought a large tabletop paper trimmer to my room after I had only casually mentioned in passing that I had some cards printed that I wanted to cut. I've been helped by countless hotel employees and concierges that are eager to help, but are obvious that it's for the tip, which I'm all to happy to give for the effort. He did all of the extra stuff without being asked and then acted surprised and almost hesitant to accept a gratuity. Parking was an extra charge, but only $10 a day no matter how many times I left which was a great deal for the convenience. Refreshingly, internet, which ironically is usually a fee at nicer hotels, was free. I didn't check out the pool, but the gym was modern and nice with plenty of tv's so I could watch march madness while I worked out. I've probably stayed in every hotel in downtown Greenville over the past decade, but service and value guarantee that I'll choose this one every time I can in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Scott N
GSMCourtyard, Manager at Courtyard Greenville Downtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Scott N,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and am delighted to read your comments regarding our staff. We are fortunate to have a great property in a great location, but know it will always be our level of customer service that leaves the most lasting impression on our guests. Austin, Ruby, and the rest of our staff genuinely want to take wonderful care of people- and it shows! I am happy to pass along your compliments for a job well done.

Thank you so much for your feedback. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me. We hope to see you again soon!

864-451-5703

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I spent the weekend here with my daughter recently for the purpose of doing things downtown and for that, it was a perfect location. It is right in the center of everything. You can basically walk to anything you want to do..food, museums, ect. Driving was always an option too as we found no problems finding close parking. The rooms were as expected from a Marriott and the restaurant inside was really convenient and accommodating. I am still a little surprised by the high price we paid, I do not think it was worth that but I guess you are paying for the location. I was very disappointed with the valets, they were extremely rude and unwilling to help. The rest of the staff was friendly though. I was not impressed with the breakfast area, very few choices and long lines to order.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank maddie m
GSMCourtyard, Manager at Courtyard Greenville Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear maddie m,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I am happy you enjoyed your time Downtown with us! Downtown Greenville is fantastic and wonderfully pedestrian-friendly; I’m glad you had the opportunity to explore and experience some of the highlights! I am also pleased to see that your interactions with our staff and the neighboring restaurant were pleasant. I apologize if you found the valet you encountered less-than-accommodating. We, as a Marriott property, do take our service responsibility quite seriously, and I assure you that your comments will be addressed with valet management to ensure that all of our guests are being treated with the utmost courtesy. I also apologize if the Bistro menu items weren’t exactly what you were looking for; there are also several other local restaurants nearby (most are quite good!) and we are always available to help recommend options that might be more to your liking.

We want every part of your experience with us to be great- every time! If I can be of any assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me. We hope to see you again soon.

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We chose the Courtyard as the flagship hotel for our wedding weekend. We could not have made a better choice. The entire wedding party, more than 20 rooms, expressed nothing but total satisfaction with the staff, the amenities, and especially the rooms-most comfortable. I had two rooms for myself and family, the satisfaction was not just hearsay.

I highly recommend the Courtyard by Marriott Greenville Downtown. Not only has an outstanding hotel value for the cost but also its location which puts you very close to entertainment and fine food.

To my knowledge no one went swimming or used room service.

Best, John H.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Flounder45a,

Thank you so much for your review! We know how fast-paced and important wedding weekends are to our guests and do everything we can to help make them as smooth as possible! I am so happy to see that you and your guests were able to have a comfortable, fun weekend to celebrate and enjoy each other’s company. I will be sure to pass along your kind compliments to our staff; thank you for sharing such a special occasion with us!

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future. Thank you for your time and we hope to see you again!

Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have stayed at this Courtyard multiple times and am always pleased with my stay. My most recent visit was no exception.

Location... Perfect. It is in the heart of downtown Greenville on one of the best Main Streets in the country. Downtown is extremely walkable. There are many, many shops and restaurants nearby. The Peace Center -- an arts center with a surprisingly good assortment of performances for a city Greenville's size -- is across the street from the hotel, making this an ideal place to stay if attending a show.

Service... From the the valet to check-in staff to maids in the hallways, everyone is friendly and seeks to be helpful.

Physical Condition... The hotel is in excellent condition and virtually brand new. It has a lawn at the front that is a nice surprise in a downtown hotel. Common areas are nicely finished and very comfortable. Rooms are clean and sleek. For some reason, many of the newer Courtyards I've stayed in have a slightly funky odor in the rooms; unfortunately, this Courtyard is not an exception (not sure if it's cleaning supplies used, HVAC, carpet, or some horrid air freshener that someone at corporate thinks it delightful). It's not a big deal to me (it just makes me think "I don't like that smell" every time I enter the room and then I acclimate quickly), but it may be a big deal to someone who is particularly odor sensitive.

Amenities... It's a Courtyard, so no "free" breakfast (is there really such a thing?), which gives you the chance to get out and eat something other than hotel food for breakfast. No pool. Nice workout facilities. Bottled water in the room, but you have to pay $5 to drink it.

Value... Cost here is definitely more than what you would pay at many other hotels in Greenville. For that extra cost, though, you get a clean, new hotel with an awesome location. Keep in mind, though, you're getting a Courtyard (albeit a higher end Courtyard) with that brand's array of amenities and services; you are not getting a five-star hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear RedsFanInLex,

Thank you so much for your returning business and thank you taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

I am so pleased to see that you enjoy your stays with us and have the opportunity to experience Greenville’s wonderful Downtown! Main St and the Peace Center are definite local highlights- Flashdance and The Phantom of the Opera are coming up next in April and May! I am glad to see that your interactions with our staff are all so positive and will happily pass along your comments to the department managers to share. We have the benefit of being one of the newer hotels in Downtown and I am happy to see that you find us both visually pleasing and comfortable. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenient odor you may have experienced; please always feel free to contact the Front Desk if there is anything disturbing you- we are always happy to assist in every way possible! Our lobby does feature the Courtyard’s newer Bistro concept for breakfast, but there are, as you mentioned, several great local options within walking distance as well (see the Front Desk for recommendations)! And, while we do offer the large in-room Fiji water bottles, we do also offer standard size Aquafina and Fiji water bottles in our lobby Market at a lesser cost, if that is more in line with your needs.

We sincerely appreciate your detailed feedback and hope to continue to provide you with excellent service and comfortable, enjoyable stays. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you again for your time and comments! We hope to see you again soon.

chicago
Reviewed March 12, 2014

A very nice hotel with a great restaurant in the lobby. The biggest plus is the location in the center of the city as you can walk to anything including the river walk . .
Rooms are fine but was disappointed that the breakfast area where one must stand at a counter to order . Some days the lines can be quite long just to order .
Don't understand that concept . Why not just have waitresses ? eventually some one brings you the food to the table .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GSMCourtyard, Manager at Courtyard Greenville Downtown, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear DrTomG,

Thank you for review! I am happy to see that you enjoyed your room and the restaurant; the river walk and Falls Park are great- I’m glad you had the opportunity to explore and experience Downtown! I apologize if your wait at the Bistro counter was longer than expected and I’ve passed along your comments to Bistro management to address appropriately. If you ever find yourself in need of any assistance, please always feel free to see our Front Desk! We are always happy to help in any way possible.

Thank you for your time! Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future. We hope to see you again soon!

Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We arrived early to Greenville Saturday morning and Dylan (Valet/bellman) was very helpful getting us into the garage and was greeted by Joseph Blasco while entering the lobby. I had called to confirm my early arrival and Joseph said to come on in. He had my information pulled up, definitely anticipated our arrival. He was personable was really seemed to enjoy his job. He asked why we were in town (to celebrate a night with children lol and 40th birthdays) Joseph told us all about the town and where to have a good time. A wonderful arrival experience made our short trip fantastic. Perfect location to everything. I travel often and it is very refreshing seeing such young people with great personalities and has the spirit to serve. Our room was perfect, everything was great. All staff encounters were very friendly, Joseph just went above and beyond. Great Marriott Associate!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
GSMCourtyard, Manager at Courtyard Greenville Downtown, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Mary A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor- and happy belated birthday to you! I was delighted to read about your stay and am so glad you had a great time! I appreciate your comments and will certainly pass along your compliments to Dylan and Joseph. We pride ourselves on fantastic customer service, and they consistently exemplify everything we strive to be to our guests. Thank you!

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future. We hope to see you again soon!

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My colleague and I stayed in the Downtown Courtyard Mariott for three nights during a recent conference. We were pleasantly surprised by the excellent location to restaurants and shops. The room was great, but the help and courtesy we received was wonderful. Every employee we encountered seemed to go out of their way for us. Joseph, at the front desk, even made us afternoon coffee drinks well after the cafe had closed. We were totally impressed. We enjoyed our conference and our stay at the Mariott and would quickly recommend it again to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank SarahHassing
GSMCourtyard, Manager at Courtyard Greenville Downtown, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear SarahHassing,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Providing excellent customer service is our top priority and I was so pleased to read about your interactions with Joseph and the rest of our staff. We have a stellar team who genuinely enjoy taking great care of our guests, and I am always happy to pass along generous compliments such as these.

Thank you so much for your review! If I can be of any assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me. I hope we will see you again!