“Excellent food and get DonJulio Spicy Mango Margarita”

Compadres Mex Mex Grill
Ranked #239 of 941 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The guacamole was fresh and perfect. We had a table of 15 and our lady server was great at her job. I had a taco with corn tortillas. That taco was to die for. I opened the menu and the DonJulio Spicy Mango Margarita caught my eye. It was perfect, I had 3 and that is not like me. I need to find that here in Austin. If I ever go back to Greenville I will go back to eat here for sure.

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We took our family of 5 to eat there recently and it was just ok. The people who work there could use a dose if enthusiasm. No one seemed particularly happy - it was weird. The food was good, just not great. If you want food that is very delicious and wows your tastebuds - go somewhere else.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I love this place! Go for lunch and try the buffet! You won't be disappointed. Can't find what you like on the buffet...let your server know and he will tailor something to meet your dietary needs. Chips and salsa are also very fresh and good. A great place to meet for a business lunch or simply with friends and family. You won't leave hungry!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

First let me say the staff and management were all very nice. But now our experience. I ordered a "Skinny" Margarita for $9.50 OMG they brought new meaning to Skinny! It was all ice and hardly any Margarita and a hint of tequila. I took one sip through the straw and it was gone! Now we know Margaritas are usually pricey but this was ridiculous for that price. So only one for me then I ordered a Tecate which I had to say 4 times to my server. She walked away still not understanding what I wanted, again OMG it's a Mexican Restaurant serving Mexican Beer. Anyway the manager comes over to ask what I ordered and I tell her Tecate.... Cerveza! Ah she says ok. Chips and Salsa arrive timely, salsa ok, nothing special but not bad. Chips the thin style which we like so this is good.

But now it just spirals downhill. I order a combo Chile Relleno and Cheese Enchilada and my wife orders the fish tacos (also referred to as the Street Fish Tacos) pretty basic right? Our orders arrive and I can't believe my eyes.... My Chile Relleno is 1/2 of a green bell pepper filled with what looked like Cheese Whiz. I kid you not... A GREEN BELL PEPPER FILLED WITH SOME KIND OF CHEESE! I should have known better when I saw how they spelled it Reyeno! My Enchilada was a rolled up tortilla, not cooked, just heated enough to melt the cheese. The Tortilla is supposed to be quickly cooked in oil to seal it, then filled and then baked. They just rolled up a tortilla with cheese and baked it. It was falling apart when they served it and I can't even describe the sauce they put on top!

Now for my wife's Fish Taco, AKA Street Taco. Well she gets a plate with 3 Tacos, filled with what looked like fish scraps. No lettuce or Cabbage, No Cheese, Just fish scraps in a tortilla. They look like they were scraped up off of the street, perhaps hence the name.

Neither one of us touch our meals and we call over the waitress and try to explain. We really were polite but she was about to cry. We told her "it's not your fault we just want to talk to the manager" The manager or maybe owner comes to the table and we explain to her what is wrong.
Now this is where it gets weird... She tells me that if I wanted a traditional Chile Relleno I should have ordered the "Poblano Chile" not the Reyeno. She had no explanation as to why I was served an uncooked falling apart Enchilada. Now she tells my wife that if she wanted tacos with Lettuce and Cheese she should have ordered the " Side Soft Tacos" OMG do we really need an interpreture to order Mexican Food. When I ask her where is the fish in the taco she has no answer. A Chile Releno should be a Chile Releno... A Fish Taco should be a Taco with fish, lettuce or cabbage and cheese, this is pretty basic stuff. Anyway she is very nice and offers to have everything re made to our liking but at this point we tell her we just want to pay for our drinks and leave a tip. So take our advise, find your Mexican Food Fix elsewhere.

Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

My son and I ate at this restaurant during my visit to him at college. Nice atmosphere and authentic Mexican food. The staff was very polite and the service excellent. You won't go wrong eating at this establishment.