“Great steak and nice view from dining area.”

Ruth's Chris Steak House - Downtown Greenville
Reserve a Table
Thu, 2/27
8:00 PM
OR
Order Online
Ranked #3 of 989 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Description: With more guts than experience, our founder Ruth Fertel charged into the restaurant business in 1965, mortgaging her house to buy the 60-seat Chris Steak House in New Orleans. On her first day in business, she sold 35 steaks. A few years later, her restaurant was a hub for Louisiana politicians and celebrities. Today, the warmth of Ruth’s personality lives on in our service, and the sizzle of her steaks scores every meal we serve. We’re a local institution turned worldwide emblem of Southern hospitality and proof that if something’s good enough, it doesn’t need changing.
Reviewed January 21, 2020

We didn't plan to eat here but left a birthday party and could not decide where to eat. Since we were stay at Embassy Suites we walked in RC. It was late, about 9:30 and we were able to be seated and order. Steaks were delicious as to be expected. Sides were generous and the bottle of wine was a great way to finish off the evening. We were the last customers that night to leave but never felt rushed. We even stayed longer talking to our server and some of the other staff who were prepping for the following day. Great food and great staff makes RC always one of my favs.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank Chris5984
Write a reviewReviews (409)

Reviewed January 4, 2020

We had 9:45 reservations for a party of two on New Year's Eve - now, I expect a bit of a wait on such a popular night, but we arrived/checked in at 9:30 and literally were seated at 10:40. Obviously beyond hungry at that point, Travis came to the rescue, as well as the other individuals on his "team". They made sure we had warm bread right away, checked back with us often and authentically, and provided friendly, professional service.

It just appeared that the hostess team was flustered, the bar staff overwhelmed, and the bussers had a challenge turning over tables. It definitely was not a relaxing way to say good-bye to 2019 (pre-Travis). Guests at a fine dining restaurant should not have to absorb such a tumultuous state of disorganization. That defeats the purpose of dining out...

I only wish I had an opportunity to truly savor my meal - from what I recall, the petite filet was tasty but the chaos did temper the overall experience.

Ah well...at least restaurant has 51 weeks to figure out a way to satisfactorily accommodate a New Year's Eve crowd - should be restaurant 101, I'd say....

Reviewed January 2, 2020

We were a party of four that had dinner there on a Saturday night in mid December. It was crowded that night and there was a large group. We arrived a few minutes prior to reservation and had drinks in the bar. The glasses were hot right from the dishwasher and was not ideal for the beers and martinis that were ordered. However, as the night went on that was very minimal. Once seated at table service was practically nonexistent. Once the large group finished we thought maybe things would improve. It did not. We sat 35 to 40 minutes waiting for drink order plus had to beg for water refills. Now we appreciate fine dining and do not want to be rushed through but every course was very delayed. We were there 3 hours. The $10 Caesar salad was subpar, poor lettuce no croutons, sprinkling of shredded Parmesan. One steak was overcooked and it was not sent back for fear it would not return. We have had the Caesar salad there before and this was not the usual . It was also a birthday celebration and she was entitled to a free dessert but we passed knowing we may never see it before morning.
My husband and I have eaten at this location about 2-3 times a year and it was the first and last visit for our guests. The other visits everything has been fine. Honestly with so many fine restaurants in downtown Greenville I would not it risk it. The waiter never mentioned that there was a problem in the kitchen or short staffed or anything. When you’re paying $200 a couple you expect much more with service and food quality.
Next day my husband went to the website with his comments and we never heard a response from there either.

Reviewed December 12, 2019 via mobile

I stay at the Crowne on a regular basis. Generally, I get a drink at the hotel bar at the end of the evening. This particular night the hotel bar was very busy. Erin, an awesome bartender, was ready for the task. She was on point for my orders, took care of many different drink requests, and even had time for brief but meaningful casual conversations with guests. My 5 Star bartender for the month. Great Job Erin!!

Date of visit: December 2019
KirkW299, Owner at Ruth's Chris Steak House - Downtown Greenville, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave this awesome review. This is actually the page for the Downtown Greenville Ruth's Chris, but I'm the regional manager and will be sure to share your kind words with the team the the I-385 restaurant. As a regular at the hotel (and our bar), we so very much appreciate your business. And I'll be sure to share your kind words with Erin. Until next time...

Cheers!
Kirk Watkins, General Manager

Reviewed December 12, 2019

My husband and I attended our annual Christmas party here and enjoyed everything about our experience. It was our first time, so our server, Lauren, was very helpful at guiding us through the menu and recommending her favorite steak to us. My husband and I both had the bone-in filet, which was perfectly prepared an seasoned excellently. We also enjoyed the barbecue shrimp, and dipping our bread in that amazing sauce! The room was beautifully decorated for Christmas and made us feel like VIP. We enjoyed closing the doors to play our Christmas game and make speeches without disturbing other guests.
My husband and I will definitely be back!

Date of visit: December 2019

Thanks for joining us for your annual Christmas celebration. I'm so glad that you and your husband enjoyed the complete experience - including Lauren's service. I'll be sure to share your kind words with her, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Warmly,