“Very disappointed in service tonight... :O(”

Luna Rosa Gelato Cafe
Ranked #1 of 37 Dessert in Greenville
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed October 11, 2012

After very long hard days at work in the healthcare field at a local hospital my wife and I had a delicious great dinner at home and then went to a movie to unwind and forget about our rough day. We have both really really wanted to try this place for a long time since moving to Greenville about 4 months ago. Not quite on the way home, but on the way to the hospital where we forget some things, I stopped at Luna Rosa Gelato Cafe to surprise my wife with a special gelato treat for dessert after thinking this would be great considering how terrible our earlier work day had been. I had covertly checked to make sure the restaurant would be open from home earlier in the night while we were making our movie plans. The website says it's open till 10PM. We got to the restaurant at 9:10 PM and there were several people inside being served. I went to the door to open it, but it was locked. The guy at the counter looked up at me and smiled. I looked around to see if I was at the wrong door and noticed the hours of operation sign. It again said the restaurant was supposed to be open till 10 PM. I tried to open the door again to see if I had pushed when I was supposed to pull or something. The guy mouthed something to me behind the counter that I couldn't understand making no action whatsoever to come to the door. Another group of 7 or 8 people came up to the door to enter (they had kids too). Finally the guy came from behind the counter, unlocked the door, and says he was told to close at 9PM tonight. He made no apology and did not offer any other explanation. I told him I had come all the way from Travelers Rest just to get some gelato and that the website as well as the sign on the door said the restaurant was to be open until 10 PM and that we just wanted gelato even if it was to go. He shrugged, couldn't be convinced, and said he was told he had to close at 9PM on this particular night. My wife and I, as well as the group of 8 were forced to leave. Very disappointed! I feel like it is very disrespectful to the customer to mislead them into expectations that are false. It is dishonest to post hours of operation that you don't keep. I value my time and to post hours that you don't keep shows that you don't respect me or my time and that you don't value my business. I understand that a business can't always keep the it's normal hours, but as a responsible business that respects it's customers and wants their business you must post on your authentic business website and your business' door any changes in your hours. Otherwise don't post hours at all. At least then I would have called for the "real" hours instead and my wife and I would not have felt betrayed and un-appreciated. That's 10 potential repeat customers who now have a negative impression of your restaurant :O( It's too bad that I have to write this sort of review rather than an excellent and glowing one, but you treated my wife and I extremely poorly tonight...

3  Thank 21Denver21

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Okay. You go here for the gelato, which is "oh my heavens!" good. Especially the pistachio. Additionally though, the food there is heavenly as well! I've only had one meal there, but it was exceptional in every respect. Don't dismiss the food if you get the chance. If you're just topping off though, you HAVE to have the gelato. YUMMY!!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We visit for Gelato every time we are in Greenville. The Gelato selection is great and you can try samples of all of them. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We visited Luna Rosa Gelato Cafe for lunch. Courteous service and good food. The gelato is wonderful!!! We will visit again.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Enjoyed our paninis at lunch as well as the gelato. Good food and friendly staff. Great experience. Will be back!