“Good Food, Not So Good Service”

Pomegranate on Main
Reserve with OpenTable
Pomegranate on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 949 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Persian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Augusta
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Hostess was kind of rude when we called to increase our dining party from 6 to 7, acting like I was trying to increase it from 6 to 75.

Appetizer: Mast Khiyar, Borani Spinach, and hummus. All were delicious, Mast Khiyar (mixture of freshly diced cucumbers, yogurt, raisins, walnuts and fresh herbs) was my favorite.

Meal: Chinjeh Soltani, which was a combination plate consisting of one Koobideh kabob (blend of ground tenderloin and ground chuck, seasoned and charboiled) and one Chinjeh kabob (cuts of tenderloin, marinated in a saffron yogurt combination, charbroiled). The dishes were all served with a grilled tomato and complementing rice dish. Even though mine was just basic basmati rice, it’s probably the most flavorful rice I’ve ever eaten. You’re supposed to squish up the tomato and mix it in with the rice and then squeeze the lime all over it. So I did that. It was so good.

We also got chicken soltani, which was one chicken kabob (marinated in a lemon saffron sauce, charbroiled) and one barg kabob (tenderloin, marinated in a traditional Persian marinade of onion and saffron, charbroiled). I liked the barg, but I still think the torsh was my favorite. Tina’s came with basmati cranberry rice which was probably my favorite of all the rices I tried. It had that great balance of savory and sweet and tart. It was awesome. The chicken was good, but I don’t think it could even hold a candle to the beef. All of the beef dishes were absolutely outstanding, but the chicken was just kind of…. chicken. I mean, it was good, it just didn’t blow me away like the beef dishes did.

We also got the Torsh Soltani, which was one Koobideh kabob (blend of ground tenderloin and ground chuck, seasoned and charboiled) and one Torsh kabob (cuts of tenderloin, marinated in a zesty sweet and sour Pomegranate sauce mixed with walnuts, charbroiled). And special basmati rice with lentils and golden raisins. Delicious. The torsh was my favorite of all of the meat.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My first experience here was while I was walking my white chihuahua in Reedy River Park and looking for a spot for lunch. While walking past a new spot, the Pomegranate on Main, I saw a beautiful, iron-gated outdoor patio and was wondering if it was pet-friendly. The man in a 3 piece suit came out (I later found out this was the owner) and kneeled to pet my dog, saying they had just lost their chihuahua and how much my dog reminded him of his own. He invited me & my dog out to the patio, and even brought a bowl of water and a small dish with cut-up grilled chicken for my pooch! So yes, I am totally biased about this wonderful spot from the get-go ;-). Add to that a wonderful menu and an eclectic wine list...I have developed many new favorites solely based on their selections! Great atmosphere and best of all, healthy choices available. The hummus and shirazi salad are perfect meal starters. The Barg and the Shish kabob I am ordering frequently. I did finally try the Cornish hen kabob and wished I had tried it sooner. But my absolute favorite is the rack of lamb which melts in your mouth. Their Mediterranean flair shows in the decor and the menu, offering Greenville another amazing restaurant. Great place for special occasion or just a Satuday night treat.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had difficulty rating this restaurant. We initially ordered one lamb shank and one lamb kebab - the former was excellent the latter pretty much inedible. When we complained about the lamb kebab it was immediately exchanged for another lamb shank. The service was really good and one of the owners came over and talked to us and apologized for the lamb shank.

Interestingly the cuisine is described as Persian - I guess they think Iranian would have negative connotations! And both the owners are actually from Iran. If we lived here we would try eating here again.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

A party of 7 for a birthday celebration, we decided to order the "Persian Tour" which is a sampler of virtually everything they offer. Our excellent server, Bryant, guided us expertly through the story of each unknown dish. He served huge platters heaping with wonderful Iranian cuisine which we washed down with a nice red wine. Perfect evening.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Reservations are recommended on the weekends. Great service and a change of pace from the standard Southern fare at most of the other local restaurants.