“Won't be back”

Residence Inn Greenville-Spartanburg Airport
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I read all of the reviews as I always do since I travel for work about 250 days out of the year. I picked this despite the couple mentions of cigarette smoke smells since I've not had a problem with that at a Residence Inn before. As a Platinum member of Marriott, I've stayed at numerous properties. While this location is clean and quiet, the rooms are clearly dated. While that doesn't make or break it for me, the cigarette smoke I could smell seeping in through the bathroom vents does. The desk agent was nice and offered to see what she could do, but it didn't stop so I left after 1 night. I will say that I was surprised when I told the morning desk agent I'd be leaving early and cancelled my next 3 stays as well she did not inquire about the reason.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Leanne R, General Manager at Residence Inn Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
I am truly sorry for the issues you experienced as a guest of our hotel. We strive on a daily basis to go above and beyond for your guests and give you a most comfortable stay. I genuinely apologize that we missed the mark in your case. I assure you we share your frustration when guests choose to smoke in our non-smoking hotel, and we do our very best to address this issue. We hope that you will view this as an isolated incident, and not let it affect your opinion of our hotel. We are getting a much needed "face-lift" beginning in November and hope you will give us another chance to WOW you if you are visiting the Greenville area. We truly appreciate your feedback, your business, and your loyalty to Marriott.

Leanne Roof

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Greenville-Spartanburg Airport

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

The two really good things about this place are the super friendly staff and the pretty good breakfast. The hotel itself is "so-so." Do not expect anything grand. But if you want an average place to stay with great staff, much better than continental breakfast and a full kitchen - then this is the place for you. The pool is very small, just enough for a few kids, but don't expect to do exercise laps in it. The exercise room is small, but has four very good pieces of equipment that keep you in shape so you don't bloat during your stay. The kitchens are fully equipped with stove burners, full refrigerators, mic, dishwasher and silverware. The hotel is outdated. But if you have a pet, they are very pet-friendly (which is great!). In general, it is an average facility with a great staff who make an extended stay for business travelers pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2013

Hello! Thank you so much for your feedback! I very much appreciate the kind comments regarding our wonderful staff here at Residence Inn, Greenville SC. Yes, our hotel is a little dated. The great news, however, is that in November, we will be having a full renovation. We are very excited about the updates and hope you will come back and check out our new look. We truly appreciate your business!!

Leanne Roof

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I recently moved to the Greenville area and needed a hotel that allowed our cat to stay with us while we waited for our furniture to arrive. Granted this is an older Marriott property, but our two-bedroom suite offered all the conveniences of home with clean, quiet and spacious solitude. I liked the fact there was a full stove in the kitchen area, as well as a fireplace in the living room. The staff really goes out of their way to make you feel at home. Carol and Lakisha at the front desk and Priscilla, the head of housekeeping, are gems and truly represent the spirit of Marriott. I know other reviewers have complained about smelling cigarette smoke in the vents. We did not find this to be the case during our stay. And for those who didn't care for the breakfast and Monday-Thursday dinner buffets, there are PLENTY of places to eat within walking distance of the hotel property, as well as a Super BI-LO grocery store next to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Leanne R, General Manager at Residence Inn Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind comments! I am incredibly lucky to have a staff that truly encompasses the Marriott culture. We very much appreciate that you took the time to give such great feedback. I assure you I will make sure my staff gets a much deserved pat on the back. Thanks so much for choosing Residence Inn, Greenville. We genuinely appreciate your business!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

When we used priceline's "name your price" feature to book a Greenville hotel for our 1 year anniversary, we were disappointed that we didn't get a more modern hotel, but upon arrival at the Residence Inn, we were pleasantly surprised by the home-like, pleasant atmosphere. If customer service is your top priority, the staff here is sure to please you. They were happy and accommodating. I think this hotel is most suitable for families. The rooms are spacious and the beds are heavenly, despite the fact that the hotel has no king size beds. Aside from our complementary shampoo being re-used (it was almost empty when we arrived) and a little paint on the carpet, everything was sanitary and well kept. We stayed two nights and had no clue that housekeeping would clean our room on day two- that was a nice surprise to come back to! The showers had excellent water pressure. Our wi-fi worked fine. I really enjoyed the hot breakfast. Overall, it was a great experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JackiePutnam
Leanne R, General Manager at Residence Inn Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Hello! Thank you so much for your feedback. We strive daily to give our guests a memorable hotel stay with service that exceeds your expectations. I am so happy to hear you had a pleasant stay. We hope you wlll choose Residence Inn by Marriott for your next stay in Greenville, SC. We truly value your business!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for over two months and thought it was great except for housekeeping. Its about a 7-10 minute drive from the airport and tucked back in this residential area off the main road so it felt more like home than a typical hotel. Its close to the major mall and around 15 minutes to downtown. You can walk to two different grocery stores and a couple of restaurants like Ruby Tuesday's. The rooms haven't been updated so they are the older Residence Inn style but the hotel is very quiet and comfortable. One side backs up to woods so I highly recommend one of those if you are looking for peace and quiet.

The front desk staff was great but I was disappointed in housekeeping. If I didn't leave my trash can in the middle of the room it wouldn't get emptied - I not sure why they don't check under the sink where the trash can is located? Many times they would empty my dishwasher with dirty dishes. I would grab a bowl or a glass and it was dirty - again, I don't get why they wouldn't just leave it in the dishwasher dirty or run it?

All of that being said I really do like this hotel and its where I have stayed when travelling back to Greenville. With the exception of spending a lot of money to stay in downtown Greenville I wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting.

Room Tip: If you want quiet and privacy ask to face the back. If you like a lot of light their corner studios...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Leanne R, General Manager at Residence Inn Greenville-Spartanburg Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Hello! I greatly appreciate you taking time to give us such great feedback. We have been working very hard over the last few months to make some great improvements here at Residence Inn, and one of our focus areas has been the consistency of our housekeeping staff. I truly believe we have done a great job to better this area. I also appreciate your kind comments about our front desk staff. I hope you will stay with us on your next trip to Greenville, SC, to see our hard work. Thanks again for your feedback. We genuinely appreciate your business!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I chose to stay at this Residence Inn because I was travelling with family for a wedding this past weekend. Much to our dismay, this NONSMOKING hotel cannot do anything about smoking guests. A chain-smoker was enjoying blowing smoke nonstop that flooded our room with smoke.

We called the front desk. We called again. And again. We got excuses of why they could do absolutely nothing. The smoking continued and of course continued the next miserable morning as the smoker rose before daylight & lit up another one!!!

With a raw sore throat, sinuses irritated, coughing, sneezing, along with my children and sleep- deprived- I could hardly wait to get home to my Heavenly Bed especially since the mattresses here were not any good anyway....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

I am very sorry about the smoking issue during your stay with us. Having a small child with asthma, I truly understand what an inconvenience another guest can cause when they choose to smoke. There is a protocol we are required to follow when we suspect a guest is smoking, and I am very sorry that a proper resolution was not reached for you and your family. It is our goal to give you a comfortable, clean room with service that exceeds your expectations. I fully intend to follow up with my staff so that in the future, these matters can be handled more appropriately. I appreciate your feedback and genuinely appreciate your business.

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Every staff person you encounter will smile at you and say hello. 'Glad you are staying here, I will do whatever I can for you' smiles - not those pathetic smiles of waiters/waitresses forced to sing you happy birthday at chain restaurants.

I expected it from front desk folks but also got it from housekeeping, breakfast buffet people and maintenance man.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are very pleased that you had such a pleasant stay. We look forward to seeing you again!!