“Fluor Field what a game”

Extended Stay America - Greenville - Haywood Mall
Ranked #40 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed April 14, 2013

After a double header at Fluor Field in Greenville, SC and watching my son pitch a shutout (10-0) against Clark Atlanta University, I was exhausted. I had reserved my room on Hotels.com and selected Studio Plus near the Haywood Mall. I followed the directions provided and could not find the Studio Plus hotel. By this time it was 11:30 pm and I just wanted to put my head down for the evening. After traveling up and down Woods Lake Road, I finally stopped at Extended Stay America and went inside to get directions. When I asked the attendant about the Studio Plus Hotel, she said that is who they were and that they changed their name a week ago. I think someone needs to tell Hotels.com that. I would not have spent my evening searching for a hotel that had underwent a name change. So I provided her with my confirmation number and she stated that they dump their information but that they could get me a room. I said that I received a confirmation from hotels.com and did not want to be charged again. She said it would not happen and then ran my card. She was preoccupied with the "gentleman" standing around the lobby that was a friend of hers. I didn't feel that I was getting her full attention.

She provided me with a key to a no smoking room and said to go through the corridor and take the stairs to the third floor. I followed her directions and as I climb to the third floor (no elevators) the hallway stunk of smoke. I prayed that my room was nonsmoking. As I entered the room it was a non smoking room. It was clean and comfortable, however, there was some sticky stubstance along side of the tub.

I contacted my husband and asked him to check my bank account. I wanted to make sure that there was not two charges for the hotel. One for Hotel.com and one for Extended Stay America. He said there was only one for Hotels.com.

I left early the next morning at 5:55 AM and did not stay to sample their breakfast. However, the morning attendant was quick at work getting it set up.

After returning home and checking my account I notice that I was charged twice (the following day) by Extended Stay America. I was very upset especially after telling the attendant that my reservation had been confirmed by Hotels.com.

I spoke with a young lady this evening by phone and told her what had transpired and she stated that she would reverse the charges and that they only do that to make sure there is no damage to the room. I still am not happy and will continue to check my account to make sure the money is returned. I feel the first attendant should have stated that this is their hotel policy.
There were many hotels near Fluor Field, however, they were extremely expensive. I gust next time I will spend the extra money.

Room Tip: It seem that the hotel was pushed far enough back, so there was not a lot of noise. However, check y...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Greenville - Haywood Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Congratulations on your son pitching a shutout against Clark Atlanta University!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of charging your card after you paid through Hotels.com. While this is not a common mistake, I will address what happened with my staff to prevent confusion in the future. Still, I am glad to know that we were able to fix the issue quickly. I appreciate you letting me know that there was a smoke smell in the hallway. I am sorry for this issue, but am happy to read that we provided you with a clean and comfortable room. We will work to remove this odor as soon as possible.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with me. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Greenville - Haywood Mall

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel caters to the extended stay visitor but unfortunately it can not really accomodate those who stay beyond a day or two. Everything in this hotel is cheaply done. The rooms are in major need of renovation and although some of the rooms have supposedly been updated they are filled with poor quality furniture and bedding. All the furniture appears to be made of pressed fiberboard. There are full kitchens but the ovens are so small you can not even place a large cookie sheet in them and the microwaves are useless beyond using them to heat a frozen meal or pop a bag of popcorn. Kitchens are also poorly stocked with kitchen items and there is no room to really store any foodstuffs. The rooms are poorly insulated and therefore noise is a real problem. Linens are worn, towels are thin and non absorbant and the toilet paper is like newspaper! They serve a grab and go "breakfast" of packaged oatmeal, muffins and granola bars but the supply is often depleted before 8:30 am. There is an onsite laundry however the washing machines are small and the cost is ridiculus to use them for the amount of clothing they are able to hold. For the most part staff is friendly and will try to accomodate the guest however no amount of friendliness can make up for the overall poor quality of the rooms, the lack of cleanliness and the overall shabbiness of the property.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Chelsea B, Front Office Manager at Extended Stay America - Greenville - Haywood Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Studio Plus Greenville - Haywood Mall. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

We do our best to monitor our grab-and-go breakfast and replenish the items as needed. But if there is ever anything missing, feel free to alert our desk staff so we can take care of it immediately.

Our kitchens are designed to provide you with the basic essentials for cooking and eating in your room. This includes a pot, pan, colander, spatula, knives, forks, spoons, serving spoon, sharp knife, and can opener. If any of these items are missing from your room, let us know and we would be happy to fix this problem.

We also make sure the cost to use our laundry facility is competitive with laundromats in the area. I apologize for the condition of your room and would like you to know that Studio Plus is undergoing renovations. Some of our rooms have already been remodelled with new carpet, paint, furniture, and appliances.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to apologize that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada."

Reviewed August 24, 2012

First i will say that the staff here is very friendly. I was greeted warmly, and soon after i checked in the management called to check on me. My only issue was the room itself. I requested a nonsmoking room but still could smell a lot of smoke. Pool was dirty. There was a lot of noise at night keeping me awake. The room seemed greatly dated, scratches on the walls, old funiture, the bed was lumpy, and there were stains in the bathroom upon intially entry into the room. I did bring this to the attention of the management when i received my call and they did apologize. I did appreciate the service, but cut my stay short due to the somewhat ragged appearance of the room. I guess this is fine for a short stay, but extended i think is pushing it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank robinsoniiia
cripley, Owner at Extended Stay America - Greenville - Haywood Mall, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that this hotel did not meet your expectations. I am visitnig this week to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate comments. I hope that you will contact me directly, at cripley@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed here with my sister and son. Sister is a traveling nurse and we were here 4 nights. Had mixed feelings after reading other reviews but was presently surprised. Not as clean as I hoped but we had a nice stay. The pool was not clean (maybe because it had rained?) and there were no lights. The kitchen is not well supplied with pots , pans, etc but we got by. Bought a cookie sheet at the Dollar tree to make pizza and cinnamon rolls. Microwave is small had to double the time to get the food cooked. All in all it worked. Sister may stay here again next week for her traveling job !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bsup
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Greenville - Haywood Mall, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your stay overall was satisfactory. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide guests with the comforts of home. Our offerings include basic amenities like some kitchen supplies and an area to cook within your room; however, we do offer more at the Front Desk. While these sundries are limited, should you need something, we would try our best to accommodate. I apologize if that was not communicated to you upon check-in and will work with the rest of my staff to ensure this type of situation does not happen again.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Got room from Priceline.com, and for the price paid, it was a great surprise. Friendly staffperson at front desk. Very conveniently located off interstate. Near a busy area, but off main road and quiet. Room had a queen bed, kitchen, large bathroom, pull-out couch, dining table, and was very spacious... all for about $48 with all taxes and fees included. We were actually in town for a concert in Simpsonville, and it was an easy drive to get to our destination. Only downside was slight smell of cigarette smoke throughout entire building. Not as bad in our individual room, but still there. The building was definitely older, but again, for what we paid, I would highly recommend it for a short term stay, even though it is marketed for extended stay travelers.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
cripley, Owner at Extended Stay America - Greenville - Haywood Mall, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed this hotel. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed March 1, 2011

The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Location was perfect, near business location, downtown and local mall. Older motel but was clean and comfortable. Walls are thin but great price.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2011

--Basic room, not recently renovated, for long-term stays. Kitchen sparsely equipped, world's tiniest microwave, no major cooking possible with the single pot and skillet provided.
--Bed is very hard. I had to add my own memory foam pad to sleep comfortably. Certainly not on par with Comfort Suites, for example.
--Cleaning spotty, well, really they only cleaned the toilet while I was here (for five months!). Tub, bathroom floor, kitchen sink, rug all left dirty for the duration of the stay. Needless to say, I have no plans for tipping this level of service. Rug has major dirt stains and probably not cleaned for a couple of decades.
--Very dim and industrial overhead (energy-efficient) lighting, difficult to read by, almost as if you haven't even turned a light on. Depressing.
--Very limited cable channel selection. No A&E, no MTV, for example, but a slew of sports channels (I am female). PBS very grainy, which is strange for supposed cable service. Television dates from the 90's.
--Fairly quiet, but only due to the low occupancy level.
--Common areas not kept clean.
--Frustrating, narrow entrance door that has to be manually pulled outwards to enter (how to do this with your hands full of luggage or groceries??), no overhang to shelter from rain, and, worst of all, all levels in this hotel requires the patron to lug their stuff up a flight (or two) of stairs!! Ridiculously-planned, patron-unfriendly layout.
--Internet is not free. Two different internet services are offered: one is low-cost, and ridiculously slow, and the other is serviceable enough but pricey.
--Summary: OK for only one or two nights, but avoid this place for any long-term stays, unless it is all you can afford.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business