“Good place for pet owners”

MainStay Suites Greenville Airport
Ranked #45 of 64 Hotels in Greenville
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed here on an overnight. The room was clean and comfortable but the furnishings are a bit dated. We chose this hotel because we were traveling with family members who had a dog. This hotel is pet friendly.

The bed was comfortable and the rest of the room was very clean. Breakfast was typical continental fare.

A couple of problems we had were that I had called the hotel in the morning and asked for two rooms side-by-side. I was assured the we had two rooms next to each other by the woman I spoke to on the phone. However, when we arrived, our rooms were down the hall from each other. We got there late and evidently they give rooms to other people.

Secondly, we were awakened at 2:30am by the fire alarms! We had to evacuate and three fire trucks came to the hotel. We had to stand outside for about 45 minutes while they cleared the hotel. I was told the next morning that one of the heaters in one of the guestrooms had not been turned on all year. When a guest turned on the heat, it must have set off the smoke alarm.

Also, the internet didn't always work.

I would stay there again if I traveled with a pet. Otherwise, I usually stay at more upscale lodgings.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DeanBean

Reviewed October 23, 2011

The room was reasonably clean and spacious. Located in a business park surrounded by office buildings and apartment complexes, It's great for extended stays. The bedding was sub-par. The bathroom vanity was too small to hold basic toiletries, so we had to use the upper part of the closet, which was kind of awkward. We could never get the thermostat right, so it was always either too hot or too cold, which makes for an interrupted night of sleep.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Internet is slow as heck, staff tried to improve, nice cocktail reception with good food, wine and beer, very bright rooms though if you are inclined to sleep in forget it!

Room Tip: get a room on the west side of building to avoid highway noise and bright sunrise
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I'm staying at the Mainstay for a wedding this weekend. I'll start with the positives:

-Rooms were clean (carpet, bedding, etc.)
-Great price for the room with AAA discount ($65)
-Room came with stove, fridge, etc.
-Above average continental breakfast (waffle maker, yogurt, cheese, meat slices, cereal, juices)
-Friendly staff when we needed something

The not so positives:

-A bit out of the way from Pelham Rd. (but not more than a 5 minute side trip)
-Tree branches rubbing on one of our windows (which we complained about - but nothing was done).
-No wireless internet - just ethernet hook up or use the computer in the lobby

Now for the bait and switch story (which took my rating from a 4 or 5 to a 3):

I made the reservations by phone 2 months ago. I asked for a room with 2 queen beds for the 3 of us in our party. Then I called 2 weeks ago to confirm that reservation - and yes - a man said one room with 2 beds.

When we arrived at 10 pm on Thurs., the woman at the check in said we had 2 rooms booked and they were both just single queen rooms. We asked if any rooms with 2 beds were left and she said no.

So...we had to pay for 2 rooms instead of one. "I'll give you a discount though on both rooms."

Sorry, but we are still paying $150 more for our 3 night stay because we couldn't get just 1 room. I can't help buy think this was done on purpose to increase their revenue.

The fact that this employee had a "donation" jar on her desk (tip jar) should have been a clue!

Room Tip: Use AAA discount or they offer discounts for Bob Jones/BMW/ other company employees.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Rented two rooms for one night on July 16.
Pros: very clean and spacious rooms. Front desk was very accommodating to a request I made after check in. Free breakfast in the lobby included a waffle maker! Lots of restaurants nearby, too.
Cons: none. Just a nice clean hotel.
Stopped here passing through Greenville on a road trip. I really liked the location, very close to a nice selection of places to eat as well as downtown. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank johnm84
dheinlein, Manager at MainStay Suites Greenville Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

Thanks very much for your five star review johnm! We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you through Greenville.

Best wishes,

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Having never stayed in an extended stay hotel, I can't say I'm wild about the concept. The Pelham Road Mainstay is mostly pretty good though. Check in was easy, room was clean and well stocked with kitchen and bath items for self sufficiency. The room was large compared to many and the hotel offers a laundry and workout facility.
Without dwelling on the negative, guests are offered a limited number of room cleanings per stay and you will find yourself searching for help with things like trash pickup and fresh towels. Unlike a standard hotel where these things are done every day, if you don't ask, no one offers. As I said, I can't say I'm wild about the concept.
In the positive though, the staff is very helpful. I had minor issues with both television and air, and an extremely concientious hotel maintainence man was knocking on the door in less than two minutes. The desk personnel were friendly and professional and quite helpful with directions if you asked. Location is as central to Greenville and Spartanburg as you could wish and "driving" close to attractions. Breakfast is provided every day off the main lobby and there is a pool, which some of the other extended stays do not offer.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank nby10
dheinlein, Manager at MainStay Suites Greenville Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Dear nby10,

Thanks very much for your review! We’re glad you chose our hotel to have your first extended stay experience, I hope you were here on an evening when we host our evening social and had a chance to enjoy the complimentary snacks and beverages.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2011

This hotel is very nice. The rooms are well decorated and maintained. The contentinal breakfast is good. The location is convenient to I-85 and many popular restaurants. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SSL19
dheinlein, Manager at MainStay Suites Greenville Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2011

Thanks very much for your review SSL19; it’s great to know you enjoyed the hotel and we can’t wait to see you again!

Yours truly,