“Very Pleased” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children
Charleston, South Carolina
“Very Pleased”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

I've been here thrice now, and every time that I've been here it's been quite the good meal. The size of the restaurant is small, but the food quality is great and the most authentic Japanese food that I've ever had. If you haven't been you should go. The service and the food have been great for all of my visits. The food does take a lot of preparation time, but it's well worth the wait. My longest wait was a dinner rush hour lasting 45 minutes, and again perfect!

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank Matthew_Benton

Charleston, South Carolina
“Something had to have been wrong....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

My boyfriend and I have seen Little Tokyo for several months and wanted to try it, but we've always gone next door to the Mexican restaurant instead. Tonight we decided to go ahead and try it. There's not much to say about the interior or the restaurant, just a few tables, what appeared to be a sushi bar and a table set up with, what I assumed to be, merchandise you could buy. We were immediately seated at a small table in the back of the restaurant. Our waiter came, brought us menus and took our drink orders. He brought our drinks and took our order--my boyfriend ordered two types of sushi (spicy tuna and snow crab, both affordably priced at $5 each) and I ordered a teriyaki chicken entree (approximately $9) and 2 spring rolls for $1.75. After placing our order we were left alone for about 30 minutes until one of my boyfriend's sushi plates arrived along with the soup which came with my entree (which we told the waiter would be for my boyfriend). The waiter placed it down and left. We had no silverware or chopsticks and there was no soy sauce on the table although the waiter brought a dipping tray. We tried unsuccessfully to get the waiter's attention for 15 minutes before grabbing another waiter and asking for silverware, soy sauce and a refill on my soda which by now had been empty for awhile. A few minutes later our waiter arrived with the requested items. 10 minutes later my boyfriend's second plate of sushi arrived and I still had no spring rolls or entree. 5 minutes later my spring rolls arrived and shortly thereafter my entree arrived. I would like to mention that I ordered fried rice with my meal but when he brought it to the table, the waiter informed me that they "ran out of fried rice" so they brought me white rice instead.. ???? It took over an hour to get spring rolls.... My boyfriend had his whole meal delivered before I got my appetizer. I will give them compliments on the taste of their food, but when it takes the food that long to get to the table, it should taste amazing!! The spring rolls were definitely some of the best I've had and my boyfriend thought the snow crab sushi was awesome. The soup was very flavorful and my boyfriend said the spicy tuna sushi was good too. My chicken was okay..... The chicken itself was tasty but it had a very overwhelming charcoal flavor (it was grilled). Our total bill was $34 including tax (2 orders of sushi, 2 small sake bottles, spring rolls and a dinner entree) which was really surprising. Overall we thought Little Tokyo was pretty good EXCEPT for the service. I don't know if something was happening in the back to delay our food, but our waiter should have been more attentive. I think someone must have finally said something to him because the last 20 minutes we were there he really stepped up his game! We both agreed that we would give Little Tokyo one more chance and after reading some of the reviews on here, maybe our experience is not the norm............. We shall see.

• Visited February 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Charleston
“They Moved!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

Little Tokyo moved and is now located at 214 St. James Ave. Goose Creek, SC (843) 695-1388. The food is still amazing but the prices have gone up.

1 Thank RockyCharleston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My husband and myself are visiting the...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

My husband and myself are visiting the area and decided to try a local restaurant. We saw it was #1 on trip advisor and we were definitley pleased. The service and cost was wonderful and the food was even better. Thank you all for the recommendations.

1 Thank AnnaB31
Charleston,SC
“I love this place!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2009

Great food presented nicely and not a lot of money. The interior is not at all fancy but the food is great and authentic, not an americanized version of Japanese food . The owners are friendly and the place is clean. The Chef also makes a killer baked salmon if you are lucky it might be on the menu if not just udon, yakitori and chicken hibachi are my favorites and each is less than $10.!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles