“Great portorrican food”

Tropical Kitchen
Ranked #7 of 83 Restaurants in Goose Creek
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Puerto Rican, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great portorrican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

The service was good and the mofongo was to die for, delicious! !
I'm a great portorrican cook and if the food wasn't good I would say it. Trust me you can eat and be completely satisfied.

Charleston, South Carolina
“LOVE LOVE LOVE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

This is the best place to get Puerto Rican food. I love the fact that it truly is HOME cooked food and I cant ever get enuf.

Visited March 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good Hispanic Food Sampling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Love the cute small dine in area that gives you the feel you're in an island in the tropical Latin Americas. Aside from the appealing ambiance, the menu offers some typical a la carte items and dishes that are tasty & filling.
Since some Latin American foods resemble one another in ingredients & flavor, it's a great casual place to quell any cravings for typical faves like empanadas, black beans & rice, tropical fruit juices, & flan to name a few.
It's even better because the owners slow cook & prepare everything there (except for some bottled juices) & they put a lot of heart in their food & service. The place is also very clean.

My only caveat is the food is served on Styrofoam & plastic utensils & I'm not big on environmentally unfriendly waste. Also I'm health conscious and eating/drinking from Styrofoam isn't the best. Other than that, I love Tropical Kitchen Express.

• Visited October 2013
Orangeburg, South Carolina
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

Love this place.... a little pricy, but the fact that it is HOME cooked food and not frozen precooked food made it definitely worth the $ I cant wait to eat here again!

Visited February 2014
Hampton, Virginia
“not quite authentic Puerto Rican food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I went to "The Tropical Kitchen Express" October 4th at first it seemed like a small establishment, let me not judge based on size and location so I walk in and the atmosphere seemed Puerto Ricanny if there is such a word, but it did remind me of a "kiosko" from Luquillo beach, they had some good tropical salsa music playing, it was laid back, the lady (daughter of owner) taking my dinner order was very friendly..so on and so forth. Well I order pernil (roast pork suckling), arroz con gandures (rice and pigeon peas), pasteles (it's sort of like tamale, but Puerto Rican style) and tostones. Oh! I even got some mayuketchup (it's a Puerto Rican concoction mix of mayonnaise and ketchup) for my tostones..At first glance the tostones looked ashy around the edges.
Anyway my wife and I started eating the dinner and to our surprise the pasteles did not taste like Puerto Rican pasteles , it seemed like it was missing something and the texture was tough like guanime which is another Puerto Rican dish made from cornmeal which is commonly served for breakfast. The rice and pigeon peas were bland, the pork was not seasoned right with the right Puerto Rican seasoning and the plaintains were dry and ashy. I hope if decide to go to "The Tropical Kitchen Express" that you will have a better experience than we did.

pasteles recipe

2 tbsp. milk
¼ cup achiote oil
salt
Relleno (filling)

¾ lb. pork, chopped in small pieces, seasoned with "adobo" - or buy coarsely ground pork.

2 tablespoons "achiote" oil
3 oz. chopped ham
½ chopped onion
2 chopped garlic
4 ajíes dulces - chopped
3 recao leaves chopped (may use cilantro instead)
1 -8 oz. can tomato sauce
½ can garbanzo beans
½ cup cooking olives with pimento, chopped
1 -6 oz. can chopped pimentos
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. orégano

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank jibaro757
Jenny i, Owner at Tropical Kitchen, responded to this review, February 4, 2016
Sorry that you didn't think the food was authentic enough. Not sure what could possibly make it anymore authentic than what it is. The Chef moved from Puerto Rico just to cook here and worked in the restaurant business for over 25 years in Puerto Rico. The pasteles are homemade and are done with a family recipe that has been passed down from generations. We do apologize if the pastels were not up to par that day, we however no longer sell the pasteles cooked but by the dozen frozen. We invite you to come back and try us again. Thank you for your review.