“Beautiful!”

43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My husband and I stopped here on our way to Georgetown. The building is beautiful, but we couldn't take a tour of the inside because there was some kind of meeting going on. This was kind of a disappointment, because we love to tour the inside of old houses and plantations. Just be aware that the mosquitos were insane! This was probably due to the fact that the Santee River was right behind the plantation house. The repellent we had in the car did little good, because we were eaten alive. We hope to make to back here on our next SC vacation.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Kelly D

Charlotte, North Carolina
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem worth the drive!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Happened to be passing through from Georgetown to Mt. Pleasant & saw a sign for this place and put it on our List to Explore. Glad we did because we went back today and the house is stunning! If you prefer (as I do) the preserved history vs the restored history, you'll love this place. It's massive, beautiful white Georgian architecture. It's so huge! You can walk beneath in the basement area that looks like a fort. (Ground tour is free at your own pace; house tour is $7). Also on the grounds, you'll find a chimney from the home of some of the freed slaves who lived there after the War and another full structure home which was also a former slave home. Read up on the history--too much to learn in just one tour.

I personally like that the grounds aren't manicured; it's a bit wild & untamed and I like it that way because it helps put your mind back in the history. If they did anything, maybe they could deal with ant hills so that you didn't have to watch step so much. It's not so wild though that you can't get around easily, even in a wheelchair. There's wide open space, not very hilly or full of tree roots either so it's very walk-able. Speaking of Trees, they are are HUGE. There's a large magnolia that I can't help but imagine how it looks when in bloom. There's also the "George Washington" tree, with the bell in it. George Washington saved it from being chopped down and there's a plaque there to commemorate it. And speaking of notable names, Francis Marion was there at one point too, so some "well knowns" traveled through the home and you can almost feel the way life was there. I wish we could have been there longer, to walk the whole trail. We plan to go back in late fall when it's cooler, less mosquito's.

Swing by the cemetery at the entrance--very old graves there. And if you leave out and take a left back towards 17, go about 3 miles down an old dirt road to the right and see an old Episcopal Church built in 1735 I think. Cool architecture.

***I'd rate this as excellent place to visit if it weren't for the mosquito's. My goodness I'd never in my life been so attacked and we had sprayed on OFF before we left the house in Charleston. I think the mosquito's took shots of it as an appetizer! At one point, my husband's calf had 5 on it at once! I had 3 on my elbow. We were beating each other silly trying to save ourselves. Lol Considering it's such an issue you'd think the Site would try to treat the immediate areas. Maybe the preservation of the house stops an overhead spray treatment but seems something could be done. We left early due to the mosquito's. Take spray--lots of it.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Tiffany75
Beaufort, South Carolina
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“A beautiful building whose grounds need a bit more t.l.c.”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Hampton Plantation is an absolutely stunning federal plantation house that is among the most easily accessible in South Carolina. Unlike most of the Charleston area plantations, this one is original and pre-Revolutionary in its form and appearance.

Unfortunately, the grounds around the plantation leave a little more to be desired, and I wonder how much (or how little) funding is allocated by the State of South Carolina for the site. Although signs exist on US 17 that point toward the site, my finacee and I were the only ones on the site (apart from the ranger), which was nice but also a bit sad. Perhaps more could be done to promote the site and spruce it up.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank beaufort-tiger
California
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Patriots, history, a story”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Being fascinated with Eliza Pickney and her contributions to history this was a spot to pay her honor. Her daughter and husband ran a plantation at one time and now this is preserved and continues to contribute to the learning of many as to the many of patriots both black and white which built our country.

Visited July 2012
mt pleasant sc
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Rare Gem with Architectural Delights”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Looking to expand your knowledge of the Rutledge/Horry Families of SC while discovering what makes 18th century architecture so unique and long lasting? Look no further than Hampton Plantation, home of former Poet Laureate Archibald Rutledge.
As a former SC History teacher, I thought I had shared most of the best colonial homes with students and family until I found Hampton. What a marvelous preservation of 18th craftsmanship! Exposed beams, walls, ceilings and fireplaces reveal the wonders of this family home where George Washington dined in style in 1791. No air-conditioning and no 18th century decor. Simply preservation at its finest! Fans only! Be sure to go on a cool day. Above all, you will want Mary to be your guide. She shares the knowledge and has a passion for history that many guides lack. She is outstanding!
Hampton is a diamond in the rough but the best preservation site around bar none!

Visited July 2012