“Drinks and apps were great; want to return for dinner!”
Review of River Room

River Room
Ranked #1 of 74 Restaurants in Georgetown
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The River Room has served delectable coastal-influenced fare to a tremendous following of loyal patrons since 1984.Moderately-priced lunch items include our World Famous Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Creole and Pecan Chicken Salad served with apples and grapes.The dinner menu features fresh, grilled fish such as Carolina grouper, yellow-fin tuna and Atlantic salmon. Chef specialties include Herb-crusted Grouper, McClellanville Crab Cakes and Twin Filets of Beef with Blue Cheese ButterThe River Room is located in the historic J.B. Steel Building.In 1888 when the J.B. Steele Building opened, it housed two businesses known as the Steele-Moses stores. Downstairs, customers inspected dry goods and groceries displayed on massive hardwood counters, and upstairs they could be fitted for custom-made hats.Today, the building’s history is evident throughout and is enhanced with tasteful nostalgic décor. The dining room extends 50 feet into the Sampit River; its panoramic windows offer expansive harbor views. Nautical and turn-of-the-century antiques are on display, and an intimate bar showcases the restaurant’s wine collection.Children will surely make a beeline for the giant reef aquarium filled with colorful sea life.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We visited the cute little town on a complete whim just wanting to get out of our hometown for a day. We only had apps and one or two drinks at the few places we popped in, but the River House piqued our interests enough to schedule a future return visit with an overnight stay.

The menu looked upscale seafood house and contemporary without seeming trendy - no locavore-inpired dishes or names of farms on the menu, the wine list is huge and the atmosphere and view is pleasant if not wonderfully coastal casual.

I can't wait to retun. I'll update with a full review once i do.

1  Thank BlufftonFoodie
There are newer reviews for River Room

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I had the best restaurant experience I've had in a long time at the River Room. We had wandered down Front Street looking for anything really and found this place. We arrived (party of 6) right as they opened so there was no wait. We had just gotten to town from a very long drive and it was our first time in the area. Dress is casual, which was to our advantage.

Everything was on the mark - the hostess, our waitress, the food, the drinks, the atmosphere. All decided at the end of our week that it was one of our new favorites.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Was down in Georgetown for the first time recently on business. Saw this place on another social media site and decided to take a look. Had the crab cakes and shrimp\tasso\grits, both were very good.

Was not too crowded when I was in, very fast service. The hostesses, college age girls, could have been a little more engaged, but I was there for dinner and a seat overlooking the rive and that's exactly what I got.

Place was nicely done on the inside, casual but the decor you would expect from a boardwalk-side eatery. I thought the menu was nice, could have used more seafood but I was curious about the grits and they were really good.

It's a shame that the "Historic" boardwalk and streetfront had most of the business closed when I was around, and there are a lot of empty places as well. Seems like the area is struggling. If you do end up in town, I'd recommend it though!

1  Thank schmitty233
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I have dined here several times during family visits in Georgetown. The Low Country specialties are very good. At our most recent visit, my husband had Creole Gumbo, which he said was delicious, and I had shrimp and grits with Adouille sausage, which was also excellent, with very fresh shrimp. We should have saved room for the New Orleans style bread pudding which we've enjoyed before, but sadly we did not.

2  Thank IngridRPT
Reviewed June 21, 2014

My husband and I were in Georgetown for one night, to break up a road trip home from our honeymoon. The hotel suggested that we dine at the River Room. We were NOT impressed.

We were sat immediately, which was nice. We were clearly the youngest people there (other than some children). Perhaps this is why our waitress treated us like we couldn't afford to be there? I'm not sure what it was, but after being in Charleston and Savannah, this was the worst "Southern Hospitality" that we experienced. We were honeymooners, so obviously we were willing to splurge on nearly anything - so her attitude was a little disheartening.

Beside the service, the food was not much better. I ordered a seafood penne pasta and was not impressed by it for the price, and I will enjoy and eat just about anything. I did end up getting ill from it that night and the next day. My husband got a ribeye and said that he was not impressed at all either, again, for the price that they charge.

It seems that they have "usual" customers who have been coming here for years on vacation after riding around on their yachts for the day, and they don't really know better because it's nostalgic for them. That's the vibe that we got, and that we were not welcome to the club.

The most disappointing part about Georgetown is that you have a few restaurants like this to choose from, or fast food. I wish there were more options. We would not visit the River Room again.

3  Thank 1210emily