“Typical Seafood Restaurant”

River Room
Ranked #2 of 74 Restaurants in Georgetown
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The River Room has served delectable coastal-influenced fare to a tremendous following of loyal patrons since 1984.Moderately-priced lunch items include our World Famous Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Creole and Pecan Chicken Salad served with apples and grapes.The dinner menu features fresh, grilled fish such as Carolina grouper, yellow-fin tuna and Atlantic salmon. Chef specialties include Herb-crusted Grouper, McClellanville Crab Cakes and Twin Filets of Beef with Blue Cheese ButterThe River Room is located in the historic J.B. Steel Building.In 1888 when the J.B. Steele Building opened, it housed two businesses known as the Steele-Moses stores. Downstairs, customers inspected dry goods and groceries displayed on massive hardwood counters, and upstairs they could be fitted for custom-made hats.Today, the building’s history is evident throughout and is enhanced with tasteful nostalgic décor. The dining room extends 50 feet into the Sampit River; its panoramic windows offer expansive harbor views. Nautical and turn-of-the-century antiques are on display, and an intimate bar showcases the restaurant’s wine collection.Children will surely make a beeline for the giant reef aquarium filled with colorful sea life.
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have been here many times for lunch when visiting Georgetown, I usually get some sort of salad with homemade dressing that is always very good. This time my husband and I went for dinner and my meal was disappointing. The side salad with raspberry vinaigrette was good but ordinary. My entrée was Tuna with a citrus sauce. I asked that the tuna be cooked through as I do not care for it red or pink inside. It came with a red center so I ate around the edges, it also tasted fishy. Georgetown is a working fishing village so the restaurants should serve nothing but fresh fish and shellfish. Fish should NEVER taste fishy anywhere along the SC coastline let alone the well known River Room. Fortunately my husband ordered the fried shrimp, the portion was generous enough for him to be able to share it with me and the shrimp were very good.

1  Thank ZeldaL

Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Excellent service. Fish was good, but not great. Limited menu. No one in our party tried the steak, but it seemed to be a very popular entrée. Ambiance is very nice. By the park, on the side of Main St.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We were seated immediately in a nice elevated room with a view of the river. The atmosphere is casual but quiet. Three orders of grilled local grouper were as good as you can get anywhere. Excellent portion size and prepared to a perfect temperature. The red snapper special was indeed special. Worth the pleasant drive from Pawleys Island.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We ate at the River Room one night and almost licked our plates. I had the Bubba Gump Shrimp (sautéed shrimp in a tomato cream sauce with parmesan served over penne pasta) and my husband had the Shrimp and Scallop Pasta (his was served in a white clam sauce with mushrooms, scallions and parmesan). Oh my, it was the best meal ever! Our waitserver, Ashton, was so nice....she was busy, but yet was friendly while being very efficient. We loved talking with her. The next night was a no-brainer....why go anywhere else for dinner? So, we went back here and again had Ashton, which was delightful for us. I had Joe's Stuffed Chicken (chicken breast stuffed with cream cheese, mozzarella, Tasso ham and topped with scallions and parmesan. it would melt in your mouth and the flavor was just too good to describe. My husband had the Rib Eye steak and he was very pleased with it. The salads are crisp and we enjoyed them and the fresh, hot rolls. Don't miss this place and please ask for Ashton!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Soft shell crabs are in season! Don't miss this special on their menu. We drove all the way from Charleston for this treat. The chef has somehow managed to smoke the soft shell crabs. Yea, cold smoked, fried soft shell crab. If this were BBQ it would have a smoke ring. This entre and app. as well are an excellent choice. The rest of our party ordered from the menu and were happy with their choices, but everyone thought the crab was the best. Don't miss this local favorite!