“Chic and Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of River Room

River Room
Ranked #1 of 73 Restaurants in Georgetown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The River Room has served delectable coastal-influenced fare to a tremendous following of loyal patrons since 1984.Moderately-priced lunch items include our World Famous Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Creole and Pecan Chicken Salad served with apples and grapes.The dinner menu features fresh, grilled fish such as Carolina grouper, yellow-fin tuna and Atlantic salmon. Chef specialties include Herb-crusted Grouper, McClellanville Crab Cakes and Twin Filets of Beef with Blue Cheese ButterThe River Room is located in the historic J.B. Steel Building.In 1888 when the J.B. Steele Building opened, it housed two businesses known as the Steele-Moses stores. Downstairs, customers inspected dry goods and groceries displayed on massive hardwood counters, and upstairs they could be fitted for custom-made hats.Today, the building’s history is evident throughout and is enhanced with tasteful nostalgic décor. The dining room extends 50 feet into the Sampit River; its panoramic windows offer expansive harbor views. Nautical and turn-of-the-century antiques are on display, and an intimate bar showcases the restaurant’s wine collection.Children will surely make a beeline for the giant reef aquarium filled with colorful sea life.
Richmond, KY
“Chic and Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

My new landlords invited my new neighbors and me so I could get a feel of the area. They could not have chosen a lovelier place! I arrived a few minutes late, but was directed to my party like I was some VIP--with smiles as lovely as the waterfront view. All five of us enjoyed the ambiance, the menu selections, the service, the appetizers, the meal and the wine.
Although it was a busy Friday night, I was able to find convenient parking and then return to my car feeling safe and satisfied. I hope to return soon and reciprocate my host!

• Visited September 2013

Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Good reasonable lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Wide variety menu. Ambiance is excellent. Nice water view. Service OK, but server at beginning not too friendly, but warmed up later

Georgetown, South Carolina
“Spur if the moment dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

So - so dinner. Very good service. I ordered shrimp/scallops and was disappointed. Wife had fried shrimp which she enjoyed

• Visited February 2014
Mooresville, North Carolina
“Enjoyable as We Remembered”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

On Saturday evening took the Family 15 miles from Pawleys Island to River Room in Georgetown. Had not dined there for several years. Collectively we agreed that it was an enjoyable experience. We requested and was seated at a table overlooking the dockside walkway. Before we were seated we enjoyed a short 10 minute wait in the quaint bar where we were quickly served by the pleasant bar tender. I ordered blackened grouper and the family enjoyed a medley of different dishes including steak and seafood. Our server was friendly and efficient. We recommend and plan to return in the summer.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank MarkS719
Lawrenceville
“Disappointing & bland”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We drove from Myrtle Beach to Georgetown to eat lunch at the River Room. Based on reviews we hoped for a great lunch...not so much. We arrived at 11:45AM on President's Day. We were seated by a window which overlooked the water. It was a very nice setting.
Our waitress took about 10 minutes to come take our drink order and another 10 minutes to bring our drinks. It wasn't busy at all so we didn't know why it took so long. There were 4 adults and we all ordered something different. Guess what, it took about 20 minutes for us to be served our lunches.
I had the gumbo which was bland. It did have a lot of shrimp so that was nice. My wife had the shrimp sandwich which was fried shrimp served on a soft roll. It was actually the best of the 4 dishes. The shrimp & grits were bland also. We were going to have dessert but based on the time it took to get our other items we passed.
Georgetown is a fun town to see but next time we will try another restauarant...we were not impressed...

• Visited February 2014