“Southern seafood by the water”
Review of River Room

River Room
Ranked #2 of 74 Restaurants in Georgetown
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The River Room has served delectable coastal-influenced fare to a tremendous following of loyal patrons since 1984.Moderately-priced lunch items include our World Famous Shrimp and Grits, Shrimp Creole and Pecan Chicken Salad served with apples and grapes.The dinner menu features fresh, grilled fish such as Carolina grouper, yellow-fin tuna and Atlantic salmon. Chef specialties include Herb-crusted Grouper, McClellanville Crab Cakes and Twin Filets of Beef with Blue Cheese ButterThe River Room is located in the historic J.B. Steel Building.In 1888 when the J.B. Steele Building opened, it housed two businesses known as the Steele-Moses stores. Downstairs, customers inspected dry goods and groceries displayed on massive hardwood counters, and upstairs they could be fitted for custom-made hats.Today, the building’s history is evident throughout and is enhanced with tasteful nostalgic décor. The dining room extends 50 feet into the Sampit River; its panoramic windows offer expansive harbor views. Nautical and turn-of-the-century antiques are on display, and an intimate bar showcases the restaurant’s wine collection.Children will surely make a beeline for the giant reef aquarium filled with colorful sea life.
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We went with friends as a party of four. The restaurant is nice inside. We left the young ones at home as my friends had been there before and knew it was not really for kids. We enjoyed the atmosphere by the water. The service was just ok. The rolls were just ok and salads were typical greens ,a cherry tomato,cucumber slices..nothing special . I ordered shrimp and grits with ham. I had to try it. It was yummy ,albeit slightly greasy. I expected that when you have grits,shrimp with sausage and ham sauce...very filling. My husband had steak and he said it was pretty good steak for the area.( we are from Midwest and nothing beats our home turf steaks) both our friends had scallops and I think clams on Alfredo noodles, maybe clam sauce. They raved about them..they said they were craving them and had them before.
Over all, I think all the meals were enjoyed, and everyone left full..a little pricey ,but I prefer to pay for a good meal, and get it than to waste good money on a bad meal...

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Good food, well prepared, good value, well managed, waterfront.

Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thanks for your review and for being a regular guest here at the River Room.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I chose the River Room for dinner in Georgetown. The restaurant is located on the new Boardwalk in the Historic District.
I ate there on a Monday night in June and the restaurant was about half full.
The salad was fresh and good and I had the Carolina Grouper (citrus mojo style) with new potatoes and steamed vegetables. Portions were large and everything was good. The Grouper was cooked properly and tasty.
Dinner with water to drink was about $22 with tip.

I would definitely go back.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Full disclosure- I'm friends with the owners. I've had dinner there a few times and it was good- not exactly mind-blowing but good. The Oysters Rock and the ribeye Oscar are standouts for me. My friends tell me the desserts are excellent but I haven't tried them. Service is good, especially in the bar. How would I know about the service in the bar? I'll tell you how. That's where I spend 99% of my time in the River Room. The wine selection is the best in the county and the owners will always find a wine that suits your taste. It's a great place to hang out and have an audible conversation. Another thing that I love is the big marine aquarium. It's lovingly maintained and full of vibrant colors. Waterfront dining for the entire family.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I love the River Room. I think the dinner chef is fantastic!!!!!!